24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
got that 99f barreled action dumped on me off GB and am putting it back together. now bear with me as i am old and senile so i completely missed the fact that the "complete barreled action" ment the barrel was complete, but not necessarily the action as is the case. actually even the barrel is missing the front sight hence my confusion. by missing i mean not even d&ted for the ramp or anything.
it is as untouched on the muzzle end as a preachers daughter. ahem.. well anyway it is pristine without even a hint that a sight was ment to be there. now on the other end is the requisite sight boss of the F with the correct rear sight.
now Murray's says the late F's had a 22 inch lightweight barrel. check. its there. also boss with sight dovetail, check. its there.also folding leaf type sight, check. but no front sight, not even d&t'd? what am i missing, besides self control when it comes to buying project guns?
if they weren't going to put on a front sight why bother with the milling of the dovetail on the boss.
i should have this one shooting by friday but now i have to steal a scope off something else and scrounge up some redfield rings
bore is very crisp so hoping it shoots good.
next one is gonna be a 300.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tom I have a 110 same thing, rear sight boss but no front sight. 24" 22-250.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
guess they figured you could d&t for a front sight your self. just struck me as odd putting the rear sight on and smooth muzzle end.
thought for a minute it had been bobbed, but it specs.
waiting for the auto cutoff and spring, made a bolt stop and had that screw it the whatzit bin. put the wood on and have fun.have a 1000 rounds of 308win ammo just waiting to burn.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The early 99DL barrels were 24" and had the rear sight boss. Could it be a shortened DL barrel? Probably not, with Savage never say never. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the action new or stripped?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
The early 99DL barrels were 24" and had the rear sight boss. Could it be a shortened DL barrel? Probably not, with Savage never say never. David

I would think that's very likely. Hard to beleive a gun left the factory with no front sight.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i bought it as a F and old and cornfused as i am didn't check the barrel for the Model F mark. will go do that right now if i can remember where it is!
wish my wife would come home so i could find stuff!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sas it says model 99f on the barrel. special order? oh well just another savage mystery. wanted it to scope anyhow, so its going to be my truck gun.

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/12/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is the barrel 22" to the bolt face?

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yep, that is what is baffling. every thing is right for a F lightweight except the front end. i am going to look closer with a big surgery mag-glass i have and see if the holes might have been filled. bluing doesn't look redone but.........

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
just looked under the scope and i can see microscopic polish marks perpendicular to the bore uninterrupted from action to muzzle.
if it is a reblue it was done by a master. if the gun had been complete and not a basket case i would just pass it off as never say never with Savage!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Is this a premil F? Were the front ramps silver soldered on with no D & T? I have 1957 EG with front ramp soldered on.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
post mil and it is possible i guess that it was soldered on but the bluing and under laying finishing marks are so uniform from muzzle to action i can't see it being refinished or touched up. it is what it is i guess. will make a fine truck gun.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
batting 1000 on this one. got a butt stock off ebay and it came today. not one but two tang cracks. one was epoxied and someone had built the upper tang relief forward a half inch with epoxy and walnut dust. not a bad job but wouldn't fit my action until it got dremeled. hope the rest of it gets better. i should end up with about 600.00 in this 400.00 gun. blush

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what is the ser no on the reciever?

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
batting 1000 on this one. got a butt stock off ebay and it came today. not one but two tang cracks. one was epoxied and someone had built the upper tang relief forward a half inch with epoxy and walnut dust. not a bad job but wouldn't fit my action until it got dremeled. hope the rest of it gets better. i should end up with about 600.00 in this 400.00 gun. blush

The good news is you're getting a killer deal on the forearm, if the azzhole that promised it to you ever makes it to the post office. grin

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by deerstalker

The good news is you're getting a killer deal on the forearm, if the azzhole that promised it to you ever makes it to the post office. grin

grin grin
Roy you have an open invite to come kill some bear/deer/elk/wolf over here. i will even make the coffee.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
anybody have a post mil f in 308 they could send me a picture of the auto cutoff? i had to get one from numrich and it has no contour at the rear that i suspect is needed. can hardly get a cartridge in and then can't get it back up past the cut off.
still confused but gradually learning all the variations.

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/21/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
got this one up and running. by the way the LBC is 11L
a million thanks to Fireball2 and all the rest. it shoots great with 45g blc(2) under 150 g hornady interlocks
[Linked Image]

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/22/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.