Print Thread
Hop To
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
What is your opinion on the accuracy and reliability of these rifles ? I really would prefer wood stock and shorter lighter barrel but at least they do not have a detachable magazine ! Is there and difference in them from the other 700s other than the heavy 26 in barrel ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same actions, same barrels (except contour/length), same chambers as the SPS sporters. They typically shoot well with a stock swap and bedding job,but the bedding is not always needed.

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought the 22-250 ADL version from cabelas and added some bottom metal in a cheap BDL stock (SPS version) and it's an absolute tack driver. Surprised heck out of me but it shoots the PPU 55 gr sp into 1/2 inch groups at 100 with not much effort from me.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought the 243 SPS Varmint. I compete with the barreled action. Best I can get it to spin well is the 95 gr Berger Classic. But it's served me well enough out to 1000 and back. It's shot several 4 shot groups at 200 that are sub .50". But that stock had to go. These groups were with it plugged into an older HS Varmint stocks.

Finish on these rifles is pizzz. They will rust in an hour or less in any humidity. Might as well Krylon the metal matte black. Not a fan at all of the X Mark Pro in these. Junked that for a $104 Timney on sale. Great upgrade.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got the 22-250 sps. Put a McMillan stock on it, timney trigger, and a wyatt's dbm on it and it shoots like a champ. I might be looking to sell it if it was something you'd be interested in👍

IC B2

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Many thanks to all ! I am only interested in a 243 ,Thanks anyway Hawk

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Are the actions and triggers the same as on the 700 BDL ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned a couple of the SPS Varminters, the ones I owned did not have a detachable magazine, one was a BDL style with floorplate and the other was ADL style with the blind magazine.

Both of them shot 5 shot groups of 3/4 to 1-1/4 inch with the best handloads developed for them. The actions are gritty, when operating the bolt it is like sandpaper on sandpaper. The SPS grit blasted finish needs to be kept oiled to preclude rust from developing. The triggers are hard to get below 3-1/2 lbs.
I have tried putting them into an older BDL Varminter stock and neither shot better than when in the factory tupperware stock.

If you can find one on sale for $325 - $350 (usually needing to do a rebate to get it down to that price) then they are a servicable, although heavy and somewhat awkward varmint rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Drover, thank you for your honest statements. I assumed that they all had a hinged floor plate !I will have to soak on that for a bit,not what you would expect out of a heavy rifle .

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
My LH 17 Fireball (hinged floor plate) has a trigger that was adjusted by my gunsmith that is very nice. I've not measured it but it's likely in the 2-2.25 lbs category. I have debated having the metal work cerakoted in an effort to seal it from rust. I'll also investigate after market stocks but don't hold out too much hope in finding a LH.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
These have more barrel than I want but the price is not too bad ,the real draw is the fact they are LH and I am assuming they are a short action.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Verns, I believe they are short action receivers and that was one oft he reasons I picked mine up. It's hard to find LH actions. Regarding the long barrel, I suppose one could always have the barrel cut down and threaded. Not sure how much to cut from the muzzle in order to keep the balance good, though.

I'll keep shooting my 17 fur ball until I fall out of love with it, then I'll screw something else into it and continue on.

Good luck with yours.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.