24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The main use I'd have for 4451 now would be for 90gr e-tips in my.243, but I've got a bunch of other stuff to burn up, so I may not get to to it. RL26 is looking good for 100gr and up bullets. Used 45gr under a Sierra PH last year to whack a doe, and if I get that far in my rotation, 103gr ELD-Xs over a bit more will get a turn this season in my fast-twist Number 1V. Might have to hire a crew to carry it for me, though!

Another new one I'm liking is CFE223, in the .308, and eventually maybe in the CZ Grendel that I'm picking up tomorrow. Pretty impressive, according to the data I've seen, though for some reason Hodgdon doesn't list it for that round, in the printed manual anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Just switch to 4451, and live easy.

Probably the reason there isn't any H4350. Marketing a new powder and meeting new demand. Made by same Corp.

Distributed.

Oops, my bad you're correct.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
las,

With my present batches of H4350 and IMR4451, the 4451 is slightly faster-burning, but not much. In my 7x57 I use 46.0 grains of H4350 with 160-grain bullets, and with 4451 get the same results with 45.5. Have had similar results in other rounds, so they're pretty close--close enough that some lots may get exactly the same results, or H4350 might be slightly faster burning than 4451.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the 4451 powder measure friendly?

Thanks,

Jeff

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gun Powder and explosives can only be transported in a limited number of ships that are licensed for the task to be as unspecific as I can.
There is potential conflict in the world.
These ships need to remain unknown.

That is all anyone needs to know.

My advice is to treat powder like your booze and stock more than you need.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Seems to be some H4350 becoming more available. I bought 2lb in Sportsman's warehouse Loveland, Co. Have seen some in other stores too.

LC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
las,

With my present batches of H4350 and IMR4451, the 4451 is slightly faster-burning, but not much. In my 7x57 I use 46.0 grains of H4350 with 160-grain bullets, and with 4451 get the same results with 45.5. Have had similar results in other rounds, so they're pretty close--close enough that some lots may get exactly the same results, or H4350 might be slightly faster burning than 4451.

Alright, John. How about a new list of your favorite 4451 recipes for the old 7x57. Inquiring minds, you know.

By the way, I've been goofing around with Hunter and 160-grain Partitions, but have some data for Big Game in loads from 100- to 175-grains. I'm planning to work up some loads using 154-gr SP at around 2600+/- to use on pigs and our dinky deer. The Ramshot powders seem to be more available than just about anything else right now.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

4451 is just as measure-friendly as H4350. It's another short-cut extruded powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

As I've pointed out before, 7x57's vary considerably in how much powder they'll take, due to variations in throat length. Mine custom rifle was chambered with a PT&G "target" reamer with a short throat, so doesn't need as much powder to get the same velocities as most other 7x57's. I've only tried 4451 with bullets in the 160-grain range, mostly because they all shoot to the same POI in this rifle, and 45.5 grains of 4451 gets right around 2700 fps with most bullets, from a 21-inch barrel.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Gun Powder and explosives can only be transported in a limited number of ships that are licensed for the task to be as unspecific as I can.

John

Dang, I'm way understocked on booze!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mike,

As I've pointed out before, 7x57's vary considerably in how much powder they'll take, due to variations in throat length. Mine custom rifle was chambered with a PT&G "target" reamer with a short throat, so doesn't need as much powder to get the same velocities as most other 7x57's. I've only tried 4451 with bullets in the 160-grain range, mostly because they all shoot to the same POI in this rifle, and 45.5 grains of 4451 gets right around 2700 fps with most bullets, from a 21-inch barrel.

Thanks, John. I'm aware of your caution about the differences in throats, etc., but I was just wondering of there was some correspondence between 4451 and H4350. From your H4350 recipes in "Gack" it looks like there's about a half grain.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

As I've mentioned in other posts (and in various articles and books) there is no firm relationship between different powders of very similar burn-rates, because any powder will vary slightly in burn-rate from lot to lot. IMR4350 and H4350 are a good example. When H4350 appeared, many handloaders firmly stated it was slower burning than IMR4350, and much of Hodgdon's data backed that up.

But one of the interesting side-effects of companies posting their latest data on the Internet is a clearer look at how powder lots vary. Since it was first introduced, the latest data for H4350 has been both "slower"
and "faster" than the latest data for IMR4350. This isn't a mystery, just the way powders vary over time.

Another little piece of evidence came with my first two lots of IMR4451. The first was a couple pounds sent to me by Hodgdon to try out. I liked it so well I ordered an 8-pound jug off the Internet--and discovered its burn-rate was slightly faster, not surprising since it was over a year after my first sample showed up, and the jug was a new lot. After a little more testing, I eventually mixed what remained of my first two pounds in with the jug--and not surprisingly, the mixed IMR4451 was a little slower than the jug's initial burn-rate.

What I understand from powder companies is that's exactly how new batches of powder are mixed to result in a reasonably consistent burn-rate for handloading powders. They keep some slower and faster lots of that powder on hand, so they can "adjust" the burn-rate of a new manufacturing lot.

On the other hand, many ammo companies use unmixed powders, adjusting the charge according to how the new lot burns. But they're usually boxcar loads of powder, and have pressure-testing equipment.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

4451 is just as measure-friendly as H4350. It's another short-cut extruded powder.

Great, thanks John!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I see certain powders that I want that's not commonly found, I usually buy it and try not to look at the price tag. There's a fellow that shows up at certain gun shows that has many of these "unattainable" powders. So I try to have a couple $100 set aside for powder purchases come gun show time.

I had difficulty getting 215 primers for a while. A friend picked some up for me at the Tulsa gun show. Now I see it fairly often. Go figure.

My advice is to be prepared when you attend gun shows, the gun shows brings lots of vendors. Sometimes internet searches work too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
IMR 4350 is also hard to find, searched several stores in my area and finally found a pound at the area's largest gun show. It was the last that any of the reloading vendors had.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John

How do people just make stuff up and then write about it with such authority? I mean, honestly.

As a matter of facts, there are none: This is totally untrue. To anyone in shipping it's just absurd.

Moving this type of cargo is a matter of commercial normality. If there are shortages of powder where you live, its just supply and demand. Containers of powder and ammunition, both military and sporting, are shipped around the world as a matter of course on standard container ships. They have only to observe the appropriate IMO standards for sea transport that anyone shipping hairspray or fishmeal does. There are restrictions only in the separation of hazardous cargo, where it can be stowed on the ship, and with some classes, in the timing at when it can be loaded or discharged. None of which impedes its transport around the globe.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 09/11/17.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

John

How do people just make stuff up and then write about it with such authority? I mean, honestly.

As a matter of facts, there are none: This is totally untrue. To anyone in shipping it's just absurd.

Moving this type of cargo is a matter of commercial normality. If there are shortages of powder where you live, its just supply and demand. Containers of powder and ammunition, both military and sporting, are shipped around the world as a matter of course on standard container ships. They have only to observe the appropriate IMO standards for sea transport that anyone shipping hairspray or fishmeal does. There are restrictions only in the separation of hazardous cargo, where it can be stowed on the ship, and with some classes, in the timing at when it can be loaded or discharged. None of which impedes its transport around the globe.

If my information is not current then I will not repeat it, but as a Aussie, commenting on an Aussie powder manufacturer exporting a product which would be a target of value in time of conflict, I simply passed on information that was communicated to me. I would also prefer to know what you state is true. It would be a safeguard we could agree to.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John

If my information is not current then I will not repeat it, but as a Aussie, commenting on an Aussie powder manufacturer exporting a product which would be a target of value in time of conflict, I simply passed on information that was communicated to me. I would also prefer to know what you state is true. It would be a safeguard we could agree to.
John

You can be as Australian as you like, but you really shouldn't repeat that. The world is a lot more practical. (And whatever else you were told by that person needs to be reconsidered)

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

John

John

You can be as Australian as you like, but you really shouldn't repeat that. The world is a lot more practical. (And whatever else you were told by that person needs to be reconsidered)

I know some about the shipping of consumer-grade fireworks, directly from China, and some of the hoops involved. From what I could tell, regulations weren't particularly strict, and there was nothing secretive about them. They were shipped in shipping containers on a shipping vessel, and then had to be transported in specific ways once they got to the US. It didn't take much time from being notified of the shipment to receiving it on a trailer. Nothing particularly clandestine about the process, but fireworks have not been military-grade for some centuries now.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To be honest even the shipping of actual currency isn't especially secretive. (Probably so as to not draw attention.) Eighteen tons worth of twenty dollar bills...

There are things more hazardous than ADI's powders being shipped as a matter of course.

The most secretive product (apart from Naval Intelligence work in a former role) shipped around the Pacific was in fact - concrete. All involved were sworn to secrecy. It become plain to me that we were shipping thousands of tons of concrete each month to Mururoa Atoll on behalf of the French government. They must have concreted that whole island after they stopped nuclear bomb testing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.