Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any body fish there? Is there decent access for walk in fishing?

And the biggie--- will I be thrown out of town for using a spinning rig?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got invited to drift it once but couldn't go. My friends only use spinning gear. Sorry- don't know about about bank access. I am going to The Pinedale area next week to check it out for a little flyfishing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I fished it twice, no boat. Water flows were way high the first time. Wading was a bit sporty, the water muddy and we got skunked.

Second trip up I caught a couple nice browns. Bank/wading can be done.

You'll get some looks chucking gear. Fugg 'em. You really want to get them in a tizzy..........shore lunch smile

Last edited by MadMooner; 07/27/17.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh... I'm all about shore lunch. When I'm traveling the one burner and the cast iron are always easy to access. When I travel on vacation I cook just about all of my meals. It's quick and easy if you prepare for it...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thing is, I'm hearing about lunker trout. I usually eat the 10 or 12 inchers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
There are some hogs in that river for sure! They get fished pretty hard though and ain't easy to fool.

It may be catch and release by regulation? I don't recall, rarely keep trout anyway. I'd check the book for sure before you heat up the skillet!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
There are fish all the way to Casper....I was fishing a bridge access. South of Casper and a huge rainbow jumped in front of me....looked like a steelhead....

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. Good info...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While working in the area last year I made a few trips to “the Mile” during late September & early October with spinning tackle. I did quite well on big browns & rainbows using a lure made by a Montana gentleman just for that particular water. It was a brand new inline spinner that I learned of through his nephew, who I met on my first day on the river.

I will be driving back through the area on my way to Billings for another work project next week and have a bit of extra time on my hands. I’m considering stopping off for another day of fishing during what is said to be the best time of the year for numbers of big fish there. The trout will supposedly be leaving the Pathfinder reservoir to spawn in the Miracle Mile section of the North Platte.

My success last year came on the upper section of this 5.5 mile stretch of the “mile” utilizing the big heavy spinners where the water is deep & fast. I also caught a few fish on countdown Rapala’s in this situation.
I’m thinking that the fishing should be most interesting nearer the reservoir below in the more shallow water, what with the spawn taking place. I’m also thinking that a standard Rapala may work best there.

Am I on the right track?
Anyone with first hand experience on the Miracle Mile in November?

Thanks fellas!
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Used to live in Casper, WY. If we got the urge for fresh trout, I would make a trip to the Gray Reef area. I had found a 'honey hole' that consistently gave up big rainbows and browns. Sometimes used spinners, but to consistently catch them, a night crawler drifted near bottom almost always worked. Not uncommon to catch a limit in less than an hour!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Used to live in Casper, WY. If we got the urge for fresh trout, I would make a trip to the Gray Reef area. I had found a 'honey hole' that consistently gave up big rainbows and browns. Sometimes used spinners, but to consistently catch them, a night crawler drifted near bottom almost always worked. Not uncommon to catch a limit in less than an hour!

Pretty sure that stretch of river is artificial lures only.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Could well be- it was 50 years ago that I fished that water!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (16penny, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.