Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I need help with value of a trade. I've found a Ruger #1 with beautiful wood (25-06) built in 1977 that is great shape. I can get the Ruger for $1100. This happens to be a gun I've wanted forever but I'm short on cash at the moment. The guy want to give me $750 for my .221 fireball with a Leupold VX1 3-9 on top. My gun is in excellent shape. My question is, I think its worth more, so what is a realistic trade value of my Rem 700 LVSF? I don't want to get screwed. Help a brother out.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
BP-B6

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
$1100 for any vintage No1 is expecting too much for an investment cast POS.....IMO!
$750 for your 700 221 FB LVSF w/ VX1 3-9x40 isn't a bad offering.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fishnut, if you want the #1 get it because there is probably a whole lot more important stuff that you can shoot with a .25-06 than you can with a Fireball. I bought a Cooper .221 Fireball years back and talk about a great little cartridge that gets no respect! It spawned both the .17 Fireball and the .300 Blackout and you can buy those two anywhere, but finding the .221 stuff on the shelf anywhere is near impossible unless you mail order. I should have bought a .222 or a .223. That is a VX-1 not a 3 on that Remington, so it isn't a top end scope and used scopes are hard to sell anyway. Get what you want and amortize it over a bunch of years that you plan to use it. You might try Gunbroker for the Remington, but if you have a local that interested, I'd let it go and get the Ruger.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Honestly I think it's a pretty even trade. I wouldn't give 1100 for a no. 1 and I think he's lowballing your gun a little bit. I think both are probably in the 850 dollar range but that's just my opinion and I'm no expert.

Good luck and enjoy it if you do make the trade.

Russell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recently purchased the very same 221 you speak of from a member here with no scope, Leopold rings and bases, redding dies and a couple hundred brass for $1100 shipped. I don't feel like I overpaid since he had to ship it across the US and brass if you can find it is near $1 a piece. I'd say it's worth a hair more as they frequently sell for $1000+/- on GunBroker(inflated). It really depends on how bad he wants it and how bad you want the #1.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remington 700 in the LVSF model was one of their better offerings. Those rifles usually sell very well, and $750 is on the low side of what I've seen them bring. I'll say this, and this is just me, but I wouldn't swap an LVSF even up for a Ruger No.1. You obviously want the Ruger, and that's great, but IMO it's not worth $350 more than your rifle. I wish I could find some more LVSF's here for that price.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hpb_rst
Honestly I think it's a pretty even trade. I wouldn't give 1100 for a no. 1 and I think he's lowballing your gun a little bit. I think both are probably in the 850 dollar range but that's just my opinion and I'm no expert.

Russell

This.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The Remington 700 in the LVSF model was one of their better offerings..

Yes, but the .221 Fireballs were slow sellers. That said, I think $750 with scope is a little on the low side.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
On a trade...obviously with someone out to make a profit,$750 on that is about right.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sold a .221 FB LVSF you mention on GB about a week ago for $950 and included some handloads and dies. My rifle had a small crack in the texture on the buttstock which appears to be a cosmetic issue - not structural. It went through a couple auction cycles before selling.

Most used #1s I have sold have brought $750-1000 depending on configuration.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do what makes you happy. If the wood on the Ruger is very special and it's otherwise in nice condition, $1100 isn't out of line IMHO. All the usual Number 1 caveats apply, of course. The Fireball is like the Ruger, worth what someone's willing to pay. If you're certain you don't mind losing it and $750 doesn't represent a big loss compared to what you have in it, you've got your answer.

Trying to fulfill a desire and get top dollar for something at the same time might not work out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LVSF in Fireball will yield a lot of money. They are no longer cheap.

I'd pass on that deal with extreme prejudice.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
LVSF in Fireball will yield a lot of money. They are no longer cheap.

I'd pass on that deal with extreme prejudice.

Dave

This.........a no brainer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The Remington 700 in the LVSF model was one of their better offerings..

Yes, but the .221 Fireballs were slow sellers. That said, I think $750 with scope is a little on the low side.

Back when Remington had just stopped making the LVSF model, I was in Gander Mountain in Paducah, Kentucky, and they had one in 221 Fireball on sale......well, it was on sale for them, anyway. I had just bought one in 243 and found it to be a shooter, so I was giving some thought to the Fireball. I decided to pass on it, then a week or so after getting back home, decided I should have bought it. Of course, it was no longer there. I know the caliber was not popular, and I would have actually preferred one in 17 Remington, but after seeing how much the LVSF's are bringing on the open market, it would have been a good investment.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Biglmbass: How fast those Remington 700 LVSF's in 221 Remington Fireball sold could be debated - but what can NOT be debated is that they ALL sold!
EVERY last one of them.
And those rare little Rifles are often eagerly sought after in many circles - including mine!
The 221 Remington Fireball in a Rifle is a VERY useful, fun and handy rig - I know I have two of them.
In very good condition that Remington 700 LVSF with Leupold 3x9 variable scope I think (based on my experiences and observations of recent) is worth more than $750.00!
In fact I would much rather have the Remington 700 LVSF in 221 Remington Fireball with Leupold 3x9 scope than a 1977 vintage Ruger #1-B in 25/06 (with no scope)!
In my opinion/experience the folks selling the #1 I think are "high-balling" their Rifle and "low-balling" the original posters!
I would keep looking and keep the LVSF.
Best of luck to you which ever way you decide to go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my opinion/experience the folks selling the #1 I think are "high-balling" their Rifle and "low-balling" the original posters!

When I was a young feller, I asked the old guy that owned my favorite gun store if he took trades, he said,

"Sure, that way we get you coming and going!"

I had no idea those Remmies were so golden. If that's the case, I'd put a deposit on the No. 1 and go GB on the 700.

What fresh Hell is this?
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I got back to the guy and he came up on the Remington and down on the #1. We are now only $100 apart. I talked him into letting me shoot the #1 before I made the deal and that sealed it. Beautiful Ruger and 3" groups so that deal went the way of my Ex wife. Beauty is more than skin deep!

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishnut
Thanks for all the help guys, I got back to the guy and he came up on the Remington and down on the #1. We are now only $100 apart. I talked him into letting me shoot the #1 before I made the deal and that sealed it. Beautiful Ruger and 3" groups so that deal went the way of my Ex wife. Beauty is more than skin deep!

Can't say that surprises me from a Ruger. You would be much better off buying something else straight out and keeping the 221 as it 'll only accrue value. $750.00 for that combo is sell it fast because I'm hard up money.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Had the LVSF in both the 221 Fireball and 17 Remington.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The LVSF in the 221 Fireball is "scarce as hens teeth".

$900+ on GunBroker for the rifle only!

I think you made a wise decision.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.