Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This will be my first time on the Columbia going with a guide out of Astoria Oregon. I want to put some fish in the boat with the meat gear and then try a fly rod. What flies are good? What weight rod is best as there will still be some kings around but mostly Silvers (Coho). I have fished for them a lot in rivers as a guide in Alaska and some in salt in Puget Sound so am not sure if the river flies will work or should I stick to bait fish imitations? I think the heaviest line I have is a 600 grain deep water express, sort of heavy for a nine weight but cast like a cannon on the eleven weight.

Any advice appreciated as I have a short time to tie up more flies.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tejano:
Wish I could help, but I have no experience chasing salmon in a river the size of the Columbia. Fair potential with gear, but I've never even met a person that's done anything with salmon in the Columbia with flies. Cookie and I have done silvers and kings with flies on the smaller coastal streams, but that is sight fishing, so we know they're there. I'd speculate it will be a "blind hog" deal in the Columbia. Please do give us a report when you return.

As to gear, given that environment, I suggest at least 8 to 10 wt rods with all the sink tip one can cast. Chicken sized flies with lots of flash.

Good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 09/12/17.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I've caught coho and pinks in the sound on purple rabbit strip leeches
The Columbia would be tough as it is a big big river with strong currents

People spend hours and hours trolling to pick up fish

I imagine you could blind cast with a sinking line like a teeny 400 and see if you could pick up one

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks. The guide said fish are typically 40-50 feet deep but one area they would hold at 20 feet so might have a chance there. I have caught salmon in Puget sound on flies so I know it can be done. He uses four inch long sardines for bait so I will tie up something like that and I have lots of bunny flies from Alaska and for Tarpon so maybe something will work. Anyway hope to have a limit on the hardware rigs then in the afternoon I will have the boat to myself so might drift or anchor over fish if we spot them on the graph. I have caught over a 1000 salmon in AK and a few more in Wa. but haven't felt the tug of one for a long time so if I get even one on the fly rod I will be a happy camper. And a 50-60 lb. king even on trolling gear would be nice and is a possibility. I will see if the 9 wt. will cast the 600 head it works well with a 400 grain head the 11 wt seems overkill for silvers but not kings.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a great time but didn't get the fly rod out. We were trolling or mooching and the fish were 20-40 feet deep. Hooked about 6 but only boated two one wild one hatchery. The run was tapering off and our guide made ours the last trip of the year. I will send him some flies to try out and I am sure they will work trolled conventionally but not sure if they would be effective with fly gear. I would do it again and hopefully get a chance to try the flies.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the report.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Who was your guide ? I know very few aspire to fly fisherman ...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Tejano
Had a great time but didn't get the fly rod out. We were trolling or mooching and the fish were 20-40 feet deep. Hooked about 6 but only boated two one wild one hatchery. The run was tapering off and our guide made ours the last trip of the year. I will send him some flies to try out and I am sure they will work trolled conventionally but not sure if they would be effective with fly gear. I would do it again and hopefully get a chance to try the flies.

Been slow in lower Columbia

Thanks for report

If had time to dedicate could definitely pick up a salmon on fly

I have hooked up with on a fly on the Columbia shad fishing with my six weight

I just break off but cool to see a 7 ft fish jump next to boat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.