Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I received an unexpected bonus from work and I'd like to use some of it to get something fun. I was thinking of getting a new firearm, maybe a 9.3x62 (just because) and even thought about trying to find it in a Ruger #1 as I don't own any single shots. The idea is still tempting, but I've also really loved the idea of the LabRadar chronograph and that's where I'm leaning. I'd love to be able to measure velocity without setting up an optical chronograph down range. The Magnetospeed was a little tempting in that regard, but I don't like how it can affect POI and has to be setup for each firearm if you want to test more than one.

For those of you that have purchased or used a LabRadar, how happy are you with it?
How easy is it to use?
How reliable has it been?
Do you regret the purchase at all?
How long do the batteries last?

Lastly, what mounting option do you prefer; tripod or bench mount?

Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Azar
I
For those of you that have purchased or used a LabRadar, how happy are you with it?
How easy is it to use?
How reliable has it been?
Do you regret the purchase at all?
How long do the batteries last?
Thanks.

In the same order..
I am very happy with it.
Very easy, and I am not specially skilled regarding electronics.
Totally reliable. I used it with well known loads I had measured with my MagnetoSpeed and got almost identical readings.
No, in fact, I regret not buying it before.
Batteries have a very short life, and would be gone in two-three shooting sessions. I now use a Power Bank of 20000mAh.
I mount it on the bench, using its own platform, but had to set up a bench extension in the front in order to stand it at the right level against the muzzle,

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool, thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Has difficulty with small projectiles
Won't measure over about 3800fps

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How has your luck been with .224 projectiles? That's currently the smallest thing I shoot.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot 40 grain Sierra Blitz Kings from a 20 inch barrel Savage Axis and it reads them no problem.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I love mine.
Reliable.
Set up was easy for this technically challenged grandpa...just followed instructions. When I had questions about installing latest update I called them and service was excellent.
I tried the bench base but like the tripod better and use it exclusively. The bench base would be good for prone shooting.
I will use three different rifles at the range, to keep from overheating barrels and I don't have to change / mount the unit from one rifle to the next.
I am with chamois and use the power pack.
Wonderful unit, excellent service, and well worth the extra cost.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never tried with .17 or .20 calibers, but mine reads .22 bullets from my 22-250 perfectly well,

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I love mine also very easy to use and wish they were available years ago money well spent!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Where does the muzzle have to be (with/without muzzle brake) in relation to the unit?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far I've only used mine with my 9.3x74R, and I love it. Still have to try it with the .223 and .219 Zip Imp, before I put my 35P on the classifieds.

Jeff

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
Where does the muzzle have to be (with/without muzzle brake) in relation to the unit?

"Ideally you should place your muzzle even with the side of the unit and between the top and bottom corners. If you have a muzzle brake you should place it a few inches in front of the radar to prevent the direct muzzle blast from impacting the unit. Be sure to set your Projectile Offset to the correct distance in the preferences menu."

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Azar

My buddy and I got a LabRadar early on, and I sold my Oehler shortly after I started using it.

Skip the bench plate, though - it absolutely sucks. The swivel mechanism is very weak; it holds our LabRadar in every position except for upright.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.