Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have a 1952 Belgium Browning Light 12. Its new to me. Took it duck hunting Saturday and shot great but the 3rd (final) shell in the gun is failing to eject. I'm shooting heavy loads with the heavy load ring setting. Took it home and stripped it completely down except the bolt assembly. Not sure it had been deep cleaned since 1952. Took it dove hunting this morning. Same story, shot great but it fails to eject the last shell. (It's only ever the last shell). Which spring needs replacing or do y'all have any better ideas. Thanks. -Elijah

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lube it good - esp under the spring on the mag. The rings should have lube too. It is not the spring if it is throwing out the first two. You can take the spring off and stretch it slightly. Also, take a piece of scotchbrite or Chore Boy and put it on a mandrel/drill and ream out the chamber, polishing it a bit. That should take care of the problem.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 09/11/17.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a classic shotgun! Changing springs and friction rings isn't a big deal and probably a good idea. Don't forget the action spring in the receiver tang/stock wrist area. Many people over look this action spring and that's a mistake. My guess is a complete spring and ring change, good action cleaning, clean chamber, proper friction ring set up and magazine tube lubrication and that Auto Five will purr like a sewing machine.

Edit: there are two extractors in the A5 and having a broken extractor isn't completely uncommon. Something else to check out. I don't think that's causing this trouble but since you're going over the gun might as well check that. Art's Gun Shop in Hillsboro, Missouri is the Browning go to guy and he has a really good video of him going over an old beater A5 and restoring it. As he goes over the gun he gives tips on things to troubleshoot. Worth a look if you're an Auto Five enthusiasts.

Last edited by MOGC; 09/11/17.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Talked to Art's Guns. Decided to order a full spring/ring replacement kit as these have likely never been changed. Will try on heavy setting then light. They had a light 12 doing the same thing recently and a lighter recoil spring solved the issue. He also suggested running motor oil on the mag tube. I'll report back when I get her going.

On a second note, I was knocking down 40 yard crossing doves with authority using Rio 1 1/4 loads. This will be my go to late season gun when I get her all squared away.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by eamyrick
I have a 1952 Belgium Browning Light 12. Its new to me. Took it duck hunting Saturday and shot great but the 3rd (final) shell in the gun is failing to eject. I'm shooting heavy loads with the heavy load ring setting. Took it home and stripped it completely down except the bolt assembly. Not sure it had been deep cleaned since 1952. Took it dove hunting this morning. Same story, shot great but it fails to eject the last shell. (It's only ever the last shell). Which spring needs replacing or do y'all have any better ideas. Thanks. -Elijah

You're not using steel shot, I hope..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Nah. Bought a case of Bismuth 1 1/4 #4s.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Talked to Art's Guns. Decided to order a full spring/ring replacement kit as these have likely never been changed. Will try on heavy setting then light. They had a light 12 doing the same thing recently and a lighter recoil spring solved the issue. He also suggested running motor oil on the mag tube. I'll report back when I get her going.

On a second note, I was knocking down 40 yard crossing doves with authority using Rio 1 1/4 loads. This will be my go to late season gun when I get her all squared away.

Good deal!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I did a full spring replacement and oiled the mess out of the ring and tube and its running like a top.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent! It should run like that for another fifty years or so before you need to change springs again. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.