Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Putting this here to get opinion of the knowledgeable folks on this site.

A truck has caught my eye at CarMax

2014, 17K miles
6 cyl (285 HP)

I will do light hauling, tow a small Aluminum boat

Current vehicle is 2005 Tacoma (210K+ miles) so I use a truck for most of it's life.

I'm retired so will not be driving high miles like I was.

Tell me what you think

Last edited by LouisB; 09/12/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It all depends on the price. I couldn't find a used truck that saved enough over a new one, so I just went with new (2500hd). I don't know about the 6 banger as I wasn't looking at them, but the 5.3 had some oil consumption issues due to the active fuel management.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Tacoma still has a lot of life left in it. It all hinges on the price

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The truck itself will be fine for what you want to do. They are reliable and will last a long time. All depends on the price, as mentioned.

Regards,

Tom
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
As it is, CarMax has a price and that is their price,\\I will have to look at new and figure the depreciation I will suffer when I cross the sidewalk out into the street. 27 K is their price
Course it has all the standard stuff and I forgot to mention 4WD which I need in limited situations, but the slope on these REQUIRES 4WD and I can typically avoid driving in inclement conditions, my Tacoma will not negotiate the hills in snow conditions even with added weight (bed full of concrete blocks). I do want to have the ability to get out if I need to snow or not (yes I realize 4 WD on ice is like a pig on ice . . . entertaining)
In fact this Tacoma has the worst traction/lightest rear end of any vehicle I have ever owned. Wet paving and it will spin of get squirrely on me when I turn a corner.

Oh did I mention that I absolutely detest dealing with a car salesman and their line of BS to buy a vehicle for what it is really worth to the dealer.
Why is is that only cars are not just fairly priced in the first place.
Least ways they could make car buying fair and when we talk about beating down the price, that is the salesman we are beating on . . . LITERALLY.

~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds too high to me. That is the price range that I was seeing when I was looking. I wound up with a new carryover doublecab work truck 4x4 2500hd for about 32,500 out the door. Although a work truck, it still has power windows, skid plates, tow package, at tires, and a 6 speaker radio. I just couldn't justify the used prices people were asking. For about 5,500 extra I have a new 3/4 ton with a full warranty rather than a used 1/2 ton with a checkered past.

Although I didn't buy there, Dave Smith motors in in Idaho had some pretty good prices. Give them a call before you pull the trigger on a used one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot to add, gas mileage on the 3/4 ton 6.0 is not good (12 ish). I don't know if that matters to you as you aren't looking at 3/4 tons, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds high to me also. I would think in the low 20s, especially with a V6. I'd see what the new ones are going for as they will start getting really aggressive to get the '17s off the lots to make room for the '18 models. The rebates and dealer incentives get really aggressive this time of year. Also see if some lot has a left over '16. My cousin got a 2 year left over Ram 3/4 a while back. Think they knocked 15k off the price. If you can find a deal you will be getting a 3yr factory warranty to boot.

As a side, where did CarMax get the truck? Trade in, auction, some one who sold it to them because they couldn't sell it themself? Is it a flood vehicle? When you buy used now days, you are taking a gamble as they can ship trucks all over the country where the natural disaster is not known about.

L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
One owner, no bad history (at least on paper), Imagine most of theirs are trade-ins or wholesale.
If I do not get something soon I will wait a year, because there will be a lot of FLOOD vehicles on the sales trail for sure.
Unfortunately for me the number of folks with insurance check will likely spike vehicle sales.

Did I mention how much I hate to dealer with car dealers/salesmen.
I guess it is in bad taste to use Vice Grips to hold the salesman's attention for that real lowest price without a lot of claptrap.
Not sure if it will help or hurt, but it will be a cash sale.
Many times the dealers like the EXTRA profit created by the financing, other times the desire is to support the cash flow.

Last edited by LouisB; 09/14/17.

~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deal with the fleet manager at your dealership. The last one I bought from the fleet guy was a no bs cash deal and it was quick and about as painless as a trip to the dealer could be. I hate them too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500
Sounds too high to me. That is the price range that I was seeing when I was looking. I wound up with a new carryover doublecab work truck 4x4 2500hd for about 32,500 out the door. Although a work truck, it still has power windows, skid plates, tow package, at tires, and a 6 speaker radio. I just couldn't justify the used prices people were asking. For about 5,500 extra I have a new 3/4 ton with a full warranty rather than a used 1/2 ton with a checkered past.

Although I didn't buy there, Dave Smith motors in in Idaho had some pretty good prices. Give them a call before you pull the trigger on a used one.

what year was that?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was a 2016. 2018's are hitting the lots right now, so I would assume that any remaining 2016's should be pretty deeply discounted by now.

L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Well you guys have saved me a bundle on a truck of any kind now.
Comments on the other truck thread have provided some entertaining dis's as well.

That colorado forging it's way through that mud puddle that is almost as deep as the tire is high . . .
what's that 6-8",
Until it was pointed out I missed the fact that none of that awful old mud got on the pretty red paint.
Guess that is what happens with pencil necks in the ad agency and gm work on photos proving toughness.

No truck for now is the net result

~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.