Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#12246383 - 09/02/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
AussieGunWriter Offline
Campfire Tracker
AussieGunWriter  Offline
Campfire Tracker

The sambar.
Dodges tigers for a living so a hunter is not much to deal with.

Seconded by a mature Fallow buck as opposed to a 3-5 year old. Probably on par with a seasoned white tail and not to be confused with park deer found out in the open.

CMG 300 BP

#12246487 - 09/02/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
magnum44270 Offline
magnum44270  Offline

Gillette, Wy
southwestern coues deer

#12246660 - 09/02/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: jaguartx]  
Judman Offline
Campfire Guide
Judman  Offline
Campfire Guide

Chehalis, Washington
They are the stealtiest for sure, the lions I've encountered in the woods weren't too spooked...

#12246661 - 09/02/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: moosemike]  
Judman Offline
Campfire Guide
Judman  Offline
Campfire Guide

Chehalis, Washington
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Judman
And that's why California isn't even in the equation.... re hint

Ah, emulating Stick are we? I knew you admired him.

I guess so douche Mike... grin

#12247011 - 09/02/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
moosemike Offline
Campfire Tracker
moosemike  Offline
Campfire Tracker

PA
"Dooshmike"

Get it right

Alpha

#12247573 - 09/02/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: moosemike]  
Fireball2 Offline
Campfire Oracle
Fireball2  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Oregon
Blacktails can be tough to find, but believe it or not, that is their downfall. By understanding how rigidly they adhere to their patterns of behavior you can predict when and where they'll be. Mostly where, the when is a little more of a challenge. They don't require vast tracts of perfect habitat, they require a few yards of perfect cover, or less. I look for that place that is so stupid no one would hunt it. If there's feed and water nearby, there's probably a deer there, and good chance it is a good buck.

Bears also super predictable. Cougars hard to find, but not particularly spooky. Never hunted wolves, bet that's a tough one. Whitetails are pretty jumpy.

Oregon Roosevelt elk get hunted very hard and are extremely wary, especially in the Cascades where I hunt them. One hunt I did I tracked one to a thicket in an inch of snow. I circled that thicket in a 50 yard circle, cow calling, pulling grass, generally making cow noises, hoping he would reveal himself. As I closed the circle and my scent was about to blow down in the thicket, I assumed he had snuck out in the melting snow and I had missed his tracks leaving. I threw my pack off and was rummaging thru it for tp when he exploded about 15 yards away. I never even saw him. I'd been within a few yards of him for an hour and he held tight, not giving me so much as a chuckle to let me know he was there. Buried in hemlocks in such close proximity you'd think you were crazy to believe he would hold so tight. They are extremely tough to get when they've been hunted like they are here.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/03/17.

The world has gone completely crazy, starting with most of you!

Intolerance is about to become very popular. I'm ahead of the curve.

#12249491 - 09/03/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
T_Inman Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T_Inman  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The Rock
This topic comes up relatively often and one common theme is that most people's responses echo what they normally hunt in their locality.

I am no exception...as I truly believe mature mule deer are THE spookiest critters out there. Certainly more so than whitetails of any age. Second place is a lead cow elk.

Cats and wolves are sly as hell but I wouldn't call them particularly spooky. I've seen both sit there and stare at me. Not so with non horney mulies and lead cows. My limited experience with blacktails tells me they're a worthy trophy no doubt, but not as spooky as a seasoned mule deer. They're more sly like cats.

All women want me. There's no point in denying it, nor trying to change their nature.

It is something I have come to accept.
#12249655 - 09/03/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: T_Inman]  
Idaho1945 Offline
Campfire Regular
Idaho1945  Offline
Campfire Regular

If you've hunted deer very many times you've probably got one or at least seen one, same with Elk, Bears, Wolves, Sheep, Oryx, etc. Just about anything mentioned. BUT, if we include mountain lions, how many people could get one or even see one in a life time without dogs. I guarantee they have seen YOU! If we rule out the cats, it's got to be big Muleys on public land, look at the record books, lots of white tails in the book taken with a bow, how about Muley bucks taken with a bow. Once the bell rings, they are tough! You can bowhunt white tails in the rut, hard to do that with Muleys.

Dick

#12251345 - 09/04/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
hanco Online content
Campfire 'Bwana
hanco  Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Texas
Hard hunted Whitetail in the piney woods.

#12251584 - 09/04/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: Idaho1945]  
jwall Online content
Campfire Outfitter
jwall  Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Southern Arkansas
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
BUT, if we include mountain lions, how many people could get one or even see one in a life time without dogs.
Dick

First I agree with you about spooky vs sly. There is a difference.

I am in a group of exceptions, not the only one. Since 1976 I have seen an 'aggregate' of ONE
Mtn Lion. The first occasion I saw ONLY the long swooping drooping tail as it crossed a log road.

Yrs later I saw most of a M L's body from the shoulder back.

Lastly, in 2011 I saw a M L's HEAD stuck out of brush then it disappeared.

Never had a shot at one.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Slow bullets don't impress me.

A Flat Trajectory is NEVER a handicap.

Bravo

#12252068 - 09/05/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle
Rock Chuck  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Filer, ID
I wouldn't call a cougar spooky. Spooky is when the animal will light out for parts a long way off. A cougar will hide and often stay put. He's very wary and that's not the same thing.

I've hunted in cougar country for over 50 years and have yet to see a wild one. They're there and hunters with dogs get them but they stay well hidden.
Our SIL is a pilot for Homeland Security. For a few years he flew helicopters for the Border Patrol along the CA-MX border. He has some photos he took from the chopper of a cougar in front of its cave. It's a scroungy old thing but it's still neat to see.

Vegetables: the food my food eats
#12253036 - 09/05/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna
luv2safari  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Here Or There
Desert big horn sheep, hands down...

They have an uncanny ability to sense danger, and they can hightail it across the rocks in a flash.

Hunt with Class and Classics

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt"

...and...now...goodbye
#12253062 - 09/05/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: tedthorn]  
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna
luv2safari  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Here Or There
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Buck Jackalope

I've spotted countless doe but the bucks stay hidden.

You should try to get a shot at the hybrid pfhackelope. This one is the only specimen in existence as far as I know.

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt"

...and...now...goodbye
#12253813 - 09/06/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
prm Offline
Campfire Tracker
prm  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Northern VA
Our whitetails act like they are on crack. Practically crawling out of their skin and hyper-aware of everything! Mule Deer seem chill in comparison. The few black bears I've seen freaked out at the sight of humans and hauled out of there.

#12254258 - 09/06/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
Okanagan Offline
Campfire Guide
Okanagan  Offline
Campfire Guide

As said earlier, a lot depends on how hard the critter is hunted. Our black bears are often pretty casual about having people around. My grandson lip squeaked one to keep it from leaving a few days ago and to give his partner time to get in position for a shot. Then the grandson said “Hey,” to the bear and when it lifted its head at 38 yards, the other hunter shot it.

Incidentally, this thread is like a cordial exchange of real opinions like around a campfire. I'll stick with hard hunted rain country blacktails.

My experience is not as great as some here but I have hunted mulies a lot, in WA, Idaho and British Columbia, whitetails in WA and British Columbia, California blacktails from Los Angeles to the Oregon line, and sauntered around Coues country and eastern hardwoods with binos, plus scouted and went along with hunters in Oregon, Wyoming and Saskatchewan. Have hunted bighorns, Stone, goats, cougar without dogs, lynx, wolves, bow hunted coyotes...

A few observations: We can glass for mule deer and Coues (and sheep) from across a canyon or at distance in most of their ranges. Not so in blacktail country unless you hunt only alpine or recent clearcuts.

True that the big mule deer bucks tend to sneak away rather than bust out, but that is standard for virtually all blacktail.

Another factor is the visibility of the deer's tail. Mule deer cannot hide the white patch on their rump. That has enabled me to spot and tag several bucks in poor light, the most recent of which I spotted in the dark and watched and waited till legal shooting light. Whitetails tend to wave their bright white flag. Blacktails have their white rump patch covered and they don't wave their tail to get your attention. They are HARD to spot.

Last edited by Okanagan; 09/06/17. Reason: afterthunk
#12255863 - 09/07/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: Teeder]  
gophergunner Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
gophergunner  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

North Central U.S.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Sasquatch. When was the last time you saw one of them?

Go to a prom in Iowa-they're the ones wearing the dresses.

#12267042 - 09/12/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
RinB Offline
Campfire Ranger
RinB  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Adult leopard

"None of this is Rocket Surgery...."
#12267135 - 09/12/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: gophergunner]  
jwall Online content
Campfire Outfitter
jwall  Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Southern Arkansas
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Teeder
Sasquatch. When was the last time you saw one of them?

Go to a prom in Iowa-they're the ones wearing the dresses.

laugh laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Slow bullets don't impress me.

A Flat Trajectory is NEVER a handicap.

#12268282 - 09/13/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
HuntnShoot Offline
Campfire Ranger
HuntnShoot  Offline
Campfire Ranger

15 min from elk, MT
I'm going to go with the average Berkeley student. They are certainly animals, look quite gamey, the males are generally medium but the females can run very large, and two words make them flip out, run screaming, attack viciously, and set things on fire. "I'm white."

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
#12268517 - 09/13/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
nealglen37 Offline
Campfire Regular
nealglen37  Offline
Campfire Regular

Anything on public land..........................................unless you are willing to go to the most extreme, hard to get to parts of public land.

#12268621 - 09/13/17 Re: Which medium big game animal is spookiest. [Re: bangeye]  
Steelhead Offline
Campfire Oracle
Steelhead  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Azerbaijan
Wolves and I have some history.

"When I was a kid I thought that quicksand was going to be a much bigger problem than it is."
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
503 registered members (1234, 257Deland, 17_wizzer, 13_Bones, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 509 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.