Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good/high quality torque wrench for my rifles.
It needs to read from zero up to a "high enough" number.
It needs to read both when applying and removing screws.
Needle style OK, readout that records the high value preferred.

All recommendations Appreciated.

Kragman1

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I hesitate because my wrench does not "read" any values and it not a best tool. I use a Wheeler FATT wrench. This type tool you set the dial at a fixed value. Then it clicks when you hit that value. It works clockwise or counter clockwise. They all do that. It is not a high end tool. It is fully adequate for action screws or scope rings, etc. Hi end tools probably start at 5x the price.

A simple and dependable design is the beam type. Those you can see the torque as applied. I think craftsman/sears offers a 1/4 drive that would be better tool for less money. I dont have one. And it is not digital, with all all the bogus digits of "make believe" accuracy, such as the fashionable dial calipers. I prefer the single hand screw driver grip, with a set value.

When it comes to tools, a little better is a lot more money.

In reality, I hardly ever use the FATT, because I think I know enough (or have the feel) to do basic work without. I wanted to experiment with screw tension effect on accuracy and need to have a repeatable way to set and change the torque.

The dial up wrenches need to be stored at 0 in-lbs. IMPORTANT.

There is an industry standard answer, I forget who that is. This reply might serve as a bump up. Or do a google search. That one, I am thinking of, does not read, it also gets set. You can send them out for calibration too.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks fourbore.

I should have mentioned that one important use will be learning what torque some of my actions are mounted at, and maybe even playing the tuning game. A bar type wrench will probably work but I'm willing to invest in a good quality dial model. I have seen some that look good but for roughly $150.
I might spring.for.one but I'm hoping to spend less. That bottle of Weller aint gonna buy itself. :-)

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
CDI makes a 1/4 drive, dial, 0-125in/lbs for about $125.00 I have several in the lab at work, and they perform just fine.

Just as a caution. "Loosening" a fastener whit a torque wrench, and reading the peak value doesn't necessarily give you what the torque value was during assembly.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Something else to think about is that all torque wrenches, with the exception of the beam type, should be "excercised" a few times before use otherwise the readings may not be accurate.
Here is a link to some good information on torque wrences and their proper usage - http://www.ecmweb.com/content/torque-wrenches-critical-tools-critical-connections.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks santeerangerman & Drover!

I've been looking at the CDI 0-30 1/4" drive and its probably my target. And I do appreciate the difference between release and application but it was very cool.of you to point it.out.
Drover, thanks for the link - I will check it out and expand.my horizons.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: I use my Snap-On inch/pounds torque wrench ALL the time!
I love it and trust it completely.
The only hesitation I have in recommending one to you is the current costs!
I have had mine for 25 years or so now and it is the last tool I would give up.
Good luck with whichever tool you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: My Snap-On torque wrench does NOT record readings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Snap-On tools are pricey these days. They're almost like a status symbol amongst my gearhead buds.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I think that CDI may be a division of Snap On. Anyone know?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I mostly use Mountz, CDI, and Seekonk for the small stuff. For the medium and bigger stuff, I use mostly Proto.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Borka!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've had issues with some 1/4" Snap-On wrenches at my work. But, they are company owned and sometimes get mistreated.

Anyway, awhile back I tested some torque wrenches and posted the findings here on the 'Fire. My favorite was a small beam-type, sold by Park Tool. I think it's discontinued now, but I see similar ones still for sale. IIRC, I tested 5 - 10 times at each torque value.

Anyway, here it is:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the others that were tested:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The tests above were done with a calibrated torque wrench test fixture at my work's instrument lab. Note that Fatty Wrench #2 was believed to be questionable. It belonged to ctsmith. I have that wrench around here somewhere, as he didn't want it back.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm late to the party here, but several years ago I bought a really nice torque kit that I use all the time. I highly recommend them.............

Wiha

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am a Aircraft mechanic so we have to calibrate our tools every 6mon or so. I have a few torque wrenches and I can testify to what a larger sample size of various brands results in over time.
I personally have a 25-250in/lbs 3/8ths drive click type craftsman and a 20-150 ft/lb 1/2 drive Click type Craftsman. Both have been used for for 6+yrs and have never failed cal. I will say the 1/2" always is at the high end of the range at 125ft/lbs but it has never failed. My in/lb gets used a lot more over its whole range and is generally never more than 2% off the mark(4% allowable). I have a few beam Type Craftsman's at home and they are good as long as they don't get dropped then you have to take the time to adjust the pointer. For what you are doing I think the wheeler screwdriver would work well and if you need more pickup a Craftsman or Gearwrench in/lb torque wrench. Those won't break the bank and should give you good service.

BTW in the big shop I worked in we had more problems with Snap on Tq wrenches than any other brand. Plus the newer ones with the laser engraved numbers are hard to read.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 1badf350, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.