Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12268183 09/13/17
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The cofounder of Facebook, Chris Hughes, will be in Alaska on Thursday. Jim Lottsfeldt, of Lottsfeldt Strategies and Midnight Sun AK political bog, is taking him around and introducing him to various Democrats in Anchorage, Lottsfeldt announced in his blog this morning.

Hughes is the second Facebook heavyweight to come to Alaska, after Mark Zuckerberg visited in midsummer to vacation and explore how the Alaska Permanent Fund provides what he is calling a “basic income” for Alaskans.

Zuckerberg and Hughes are both proponents of the basic income concept.

[Related: Facebook’s tax is far lower than the average taxpayer. Company moves funds out of U.S.]

On Friday, Hughes will be the featured speaker at the University of Alaska Anchorage at 9:30 a.m., in Rasmuson Hall. He’ll also be meeting with Lottsfeldt-picked rising leaders in Anchorage, whom Hughes will be speaking to about the Economic Security Project, also known as the basic income guarantee.

On Facebook yesterday, Hughes foreshadowed his visit by writing about how Hillary Clinton was looking at Alaska as a model for basic income:

“Hillary Clinton thinks she should have spent more time considering a basic income in America. An excerpt from the book out today:

“Before I ran for President, I read a book called With Liberty and Dividends for All: How to Save Our Middle Class When Jobs Don’t Pay Enough, by Peter Barnes, which explored the idea of creating a new fund that would use revenue from shared national resources to pay a dividend to every citizen, much like how the Alaska Permanent Fund distributes the state’s oil royalties every year. Shared national re“resources to pay a dividend to every citizen, much like how the Alaska Permanent Fund distributes the state’s oil royalties every year. Shared national resources include oil and gas extracted from public lands and the public airwaves used by broadcasters and mobile phone companies, but that gets you only so far. If you view the nation’s financial system as a shared resource, then you can start raising real money from things like a financial transactions tax. Same with the air we breathe and carbon pricing. Once you capitalize the fund, you can provide every American with a modest basic income every year. Besides cash in people’s pockets, it would also be a way of making every American feel more connected to our country and to one another—part of something bigger than ourselves.

I was fascinated by this idea, as was my husband, and we spent weeks working with our policy team to see if it could be viable enough to include in my campaign. We would call it “Alaska for America.” Unfortunately, we couldn’t make the numbers work. To provide a meaningful dividend each year to every citizen, you’d have to raise enormous sums of money, and that would either mean a lot of new taxes or cannibalizing other important programs. We decided it was exciting but not realistic, and left it on the shelf. That was the responsible decision. I wonder now whether we should have thrown caution to the wind and embraced “Alaska for America” as a long-term goal and figured out the details later.”

When Mark Zuckerberg visited Alaska, he wrote extensively about the Permanent Fund dividend as an example of basic income. Must Read Alaska covered his visit here.

Hughes purchased the left-of-center The New Republic magazine in 2012. The former editor wrote of the magazine wrote this about him in the Atlantic Monthly:

“Then, in 2012, Chris walked through the door. Chris wasn’t just a savior; he was a face of the zeitgeist. At Harvard, he had roomed with Mark Zuckerberg, and he had gone on to become one of the co-founders of Facebook. Chris gave our fusty old magazine a Millennial imprimatur, a bigger budget, and an insider’s knowledge of social media. We felt as if we carried the hopes of journalism, which was yearning for a dignified solution to all that ailed it. The effort was so grand as to be intoxicating. We blithely dismissed anyone who warned of how our little experiment might collapse onto itself—how instead of providing a model of a technologist rescuing journalism, we could become an object lesson in the dangers of journalism’s ever greater reliance on Silicon Valley.”

Others are not so laudatory. Hughes was featured in the Daily Beast in 2014, along with his partner, as America’s “worst gay power couple.” The article called them “entitled brats.”

http://mustreadalaska.com/chris-hughes-alaska-squired-around-democrat-democratic-operative/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Douchebags!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've read how a job can provide basic income.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

Pfft...a get up, go to work, pay for your own phone kinda job? The unemployed aren't interested in partaking in "white privilege". 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love my white privilege. Worked my ass off for 15 years and saved to be able to afford boats and permits, so I can continue to work my ass off even harder. I walk through the door after a 12 hour day and my wife says "oh you got home early". Wouldn't have it any other way though.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by ironbender

I may steal that one.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is basic income?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any thing damacrats can take from you and give to their voters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So that is income. None here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.