24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob, bring some pics of your grizzly hunt in March! That was a gorgeous bear!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Less is more when it comes to guns. I believe in having enough to cover your bases but I don't believe in having more than you can use, enjoy, and appreciate. My late FIL had over 100 guns in his collection and 99% of them were just a big waste.

Different folks, different strokes.

I believe that every individual should do as he/she pleases, as long as it is legal and doesn't interfere with anyone else.

Heck, I bought five rifles in August and have three more due in this week, all of them are redundant to rifles that I already have, but they were all good deals and will be given away or sold after I'm done with them, nothing will be wasted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been up and down the scale, different models, different calibers, stock and custom, until I discovered one that suits me in power and accuracy. I can't explain why it's better than any other, but of the two I've had built and one bought here on the board every one inspires confidence that I can kill anything I shoot at.
It may be foolish but a 338-06 is all I'll ever use from now on. I'm slowly giving away all the others to the grand kids as they grow up.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Less is more when it comes to guns. I believe in having enough to cover your bases but I don't believe in having more than you can use, enjoy, and appreciate. My late FIL had over 100 guns in his collection and 99% of them were just a big waste.

Don't have a 100, but what I do have, I am sure my son is going to pretty much have the same attitude
when its my time to hang it up, or I just disappear in the middle of the night.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob, bring some pics of your grizzly hunt in March! That was a gorgeous bear!

I will. I've got a big photo of her in my office at work. You are correct---She is gorgeous!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Full circle is a funny thing. Same here except it's an old trusty 270. I'm sure everyone has one like it. You know the one that sits on your safe and gets dragged out a coupla times a year. Pop off a few groups and shake your head. Pack it up and waste a lot of time and effort monkeying with a better mouse trap. The handloading, tinkering, monkeying around with this and that. Then get the new "holy grail" bloody with a shot that "old reliable" would have easily made with a $20 box Corlokts.

Different strokes I guess.....

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I keep cutting back, but somehow end up with more.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My first big game hunting rifle that was mine was a 270, and if it's been a while since I've had a particular type of license (deer, elk, antelope) that's the rifle that gets first dibs. A 22 LR, the 222 Rem, 270 Win, 35 Whelen are all the rifles I really NEED. I suppose if I narrowed it down to these 4 it wouldn't take so long to decide what I wanted to shoot, what loads to work up for what purpose, what optics to switch around, etc. But then again, that's half the fun...besides that it keeps me outta the bar.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm back to my Model 700 in 30/06. Gun I bought back in 71 from money I earned delivering newspapers 7 days a week. I've bought several 99's, 7mags, 300 win mag over the years----I've sold them all. I've got a 375 Ruger that i used in AK on a grizzly hunt----I've still got that one hoping to use it on a Aussie or Cape buffalo hunt. In hind sight I should have used the 30/06 with 200 grain partitions on the bear hunt. I had a 100 yards shot from a good rest----a chip shot for the Model 700. I've got a Tikka 30/06 as a backup rifle.

Dad was right way back when. Told me all I "really" need was a 30/06, 12 gauge and 22 rifle. The only shotgun I hunt with is my 870 that I bought back in 1970, again for money earned on the paper route. I use it for everything from ducks, pheasants, grouse and turkeys. Nothing a 2 3/4" 12 gauge can't do. I do have a Browning BT-99 for trap shooting. The 22lr is perfect for prairie dogs & marmots.

Only thing I can say is that broke about even on buying & selling guns. But Dad was right, forget guns & spend the money on more hunts & adventures.

Bob

FYI---And he was right about reloading. You can buy 30/06, 12 gauge & 22's on sale cheaper than reloading. I've been killing critters with Core-lokts & power-points dead for years. But i still got all that reloading stuff because Dad couldn't be right.

Seems like I recall a very similar thread several months back. Here it is: 30-06, am I crazy? Dad was right!

1st post of that thread, minus the pictures:

Originally Posted by GuyM
More than 50 years ago, when I was a kid, Dad told me I only needed a .22 rimfire and a .30-06 for hunting. Last year I selected my 30-06 Rem 700 CDL for all my hunting. Umm... It worked... So, do I really need any of the others? Why not sell 'em all except the 30-06, and fund another hunt or two? smile

Well? I dunno. I do LIKE the heck out of several other rifles, but dang... Only tag I didn't fill was cougar, because I didn't see one. Pretty sure the 30-06 could have handled that as well.

I'm thinking that some of us, me included, have several more rifles than needed... Not wanted, needed.

Regards, Guy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

What are the specifics of the one gun that was not a waste?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Less is more when it comes to guns. I believe in having enough to cover your bases but I don't believe in having more than you can use, enjoy, and appreciate.

Mike, I don't mean to beat you up.

I don't have 100 but if I did, I'd 'enjoy' and 'appreciate' every one of them. I have more than I can hunt in any season BUT...

If I didn't appreciate each one... I wouldn't have it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
190 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.