Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well I bought a 17 Hornet (CZ). Mounted a scope - Zeis 3x9. Went to the book about Gun Gack. Shot first load pretty good. Then adjusted the trigger. Hope to do better. The first 5 shot groups were Big hole groups but a couple of flyers due to poor rifle control by the shooter. Think the improved trigger control will help.

I am frustrated with dies. I bought Hornady dies and had 3 out of the first 100 cases fail due to bullets not aligning during seating correctly.

I bought Lee dies. They seem to be better, no losses in first 40 cases loaded.

I should have asked advice earlier. Anyone like their dies -- excluding Hornady and Lee?

If you like those two I don't want to hear it. 😥

Last edited by Bugger; 09/07/17.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mine are Redding, an "S" bushing neck-sizing die, a Competition seater, and a body die for sizing cases if they get a little tight in the chamber.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, wish I would have asked earlier...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you decide to switch, I can tell you the size of bushing that works with Hornady brass.

It helps to chamfer .17 Hornet case mouths a little more than usual, since all commonly available .17 caliber bullets are flat-based with pretty sharp "corners."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, please tell me size of bushing - I'm using Hornady brass. I agree on the chamfer need. I usually do with bullets, especially flat base. Thanks.

I'll be buying what you're suggesting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's the .192 bushing. Works just great in the neck-sizing "S' die--just run 'em up in there and they're nice and straight, and ready to load, since they don't stretch much at all after the first firing.

John Steinbeck
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is the titanium bushing worth the extra cost?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used both with perfect results in various cartridges, but haven't used a plain steel bushing to load thousands of varmint rounds. The advantages of the titanium bushing are supposed to be a harder surface and reduced friction. My own .17 bushing is titanium.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Quick question John,

Is there any reason that the type S full length die cannot be used as a body die if the bushing is removed?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
While I haven't tried that, that should definitely work as a body die.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If you decide to switch, I can tell you the size of bushing that works with Hornady brass.

It helps to chamfer .17 Hornet case mouths a little more than usual, since all commonly available .17 caliber bullets are flat-based with pretty sharp "corners."

I switched a few years ago to a VLD type chamfer tool on my case prep center.

Makes starting bullets noticeably easier. Never a failure with Hornady (sorry) dies.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 09/13/17.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been using a VLD chamfer for a few years as well.

I have at least half a dozen brands of dies on my shelf, including Hornady, Lee, RCBS, Forster and even some antiques like CH. I use the Redding bushing neck-die for the .17 Hornet not because it makes seating bullets any easier (the VLD chamferer does that) but because it's the best way I've found to be able to really crank out lots of handloads for lots of rodents, with the cases absolute straight so they'll shoot straight, and zero need for lubing. If Lee made a collett die for the .17 Hornet I'd sure try one, but they don't, so use the Redding instead.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have not been around a collett die, I dont know what that is.

No experience with a bushing neck die either. I will say the idea of not having to lube cases sounds like a good one.

Does a body die decap as well?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A body die just resizes the body of the case, not the neck. It's primarily for use in conjunction with a neck-sizing die, for when cases get a little too tight to chamber easily anymore. The body dies I have don't decap; dunno if anybody makes any that do.

The Lee collett die has steel "fingers" that squeeze the neck around a mandrel, sizing it down enough to hold bullets. They normally result in very straight ammo.

Bushing dies do essentially the same thing, but with a separate round bushing that sizes the neck down. But unlike the collett die, for the best results with a particular brand (or manufacturing lot) of brass, you need the correct diameter bushing to size the necks down just enough to hold bullets firmly. Size the necks smaller than needed and they don't seat as straightly.

With collett dies it doesn't matter what the neck thickness is, since they mash any of 'em around the same-sizer mandrel.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ahhh, thanks.

I am MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.