Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My first foray into building a custom and would like some assistance before I start.

First, is the Ruger American Rifle a good action in 30-06 to start with? This won't be a super expensive custom else I'd go with a specialty action.

Second, thinking about rechambering to 338-06? Or maybe to something else. Options? 6.5-06?

Lastly, what are good cost effective barrels, just trying to get my feet wet in this custom game and all. Would like a helical flute possibly, slightly heavier weight than Sporter.

Can Ruger bolts be fluted?

Thanks all...I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems (to me anyway) that going to the expense of helically fluting a barrel to put on an el cheapo action like the RAR would be somewhat incongruous. Same for fluting the bolt.

I can see the sense however in going with an inexpensive 338-06 (or 6.5-06) aftermarket bbl on that action if you just wanted that chambering.

Hell a smart fellow might even be able to turn that setup into a switch barrel. The action itself seems solid enough but the magazines and stocks are fairly flimsy.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Some guys get too wrapped up in the initial cost of the rifle and base their reasoning on that. In reality, you'd be better off with the American action than some of the others commonly used for custom builds. I'd choose it over the 700 for example, although someone will be along shortly to declare that heresy.

They do use a barrel nut like a Savage, so that's a plus, and that big thick bolt is a good thing. I'm sure you could have it fluted if you want. Triggers are easy to improve on these with a little work, or replace with aftermarket. Stocks and chassis systems are becoming more available.

I don't think "helical flute" goes with "good and cost effective" though when it comes to barrels. For whatever a fluted barrel costs, you could spend the same money to get a better quality unfluted barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CJC73
My first foray into building a custom and would like some assistance before I start.

First, is the Ruger American Rifle a good action in 30-06 to start with? This won't be a super expensive custom else I'd go with a specialty action.

Second, thinking about rechambering to 338-06? Or maybe to something else. Options? 6.5-06?

Lastly, what are good cost effective barrels, just trying to get my feet wet in this custom game and all. Would like a helical flute possibly, slightly heavier weight than Sporter.

Can Ruger bolts be fluted?

Thanks all...I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

I think that the Marlin XL7 or Remington 700 SPS are both better actions to build on than the RAR.

CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok. I hear you all. Just saw a Ruger for sale locally pretty cheap that's new in box and got my gears turning.

My thoughts were just to use the action. New stock. New trigger. New barrel. Maybe helical not in the mix, just something I think looks neat, same with the fluted bolt or skelontized bolt handle. By inexpensive, I mean not spending $3000-$4000 on a custom.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok. I hear you all. Just saw a Ruger for sale locally pretty cheap that's new in box and got my gears turning.

My thoughts were just to use the action. New stock. New trigger. New barrel. Maybe helical not in the mix, just something I think looks neat, same with the fluted bolt or skelontized bolt handle. By inexpensive, I mean not spending $3000-$4000 on a custom.

It's your money, so you can do whatever you want with it.

Some of us have put together multiple rifles on a variety of platforms. Not all have been successful and some might not have been very good ideas when viewed in retrospect. It is easy for a built to get out of hand and more expensive than planned when the money is spent just a few dollars at the time.

Good luck!

CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks...guess I'll pass.

Was thinking I could get it done for around a grand give or take plus the smith work. $250 for rifle, $300 for new stock, $150 for a trigger, $300 for a barrel and whatever for the smith work. Unless my numbers are way off. Which they very well could be.

Keep my eyes open for a cheap 700.

What's a good round off that 30-06? Just want something slightly different, maybe not for you all in this forum but for me and guys I shoot with. And not necessarily off a 30-06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rebarrel job should run 6-700 with smith work and barrel... lots of machining

CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I didn't plan on a re-barrel. Just buy one already chambered.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks...guess I'll pass.

Was thinking I could get it done for around a grand give or take plus the smith work. $250 for rifle, $300 for new stock, $150 for a trigger, $300 for a barrel and whatever for the smith work. Unless my numbers are way off. Which they very well could be.

Keep my eyes open for a cheap 700.

What's a good round off that 30-06? Just want something slightly different, maybe not for you all in this forum but for me and guys I shoot with. And not necessarily off a 30-06.

The idea of a custom rifle is to end up better than where you started, but the kind of money you're talking about will actually move you backwards for several reasons:
1. You're replacing purpose-built parts with aftermarket parts that will need fitting to be as good as the original ones.
2. You'd be the guinea pig. The RAR doesn't have the decades of knowledge that have accumulated around the 98 Mauser, Model 70 Winchester, or Remington 700.
3. A $300 stock will probably either be a POS, need a lot of work, or both. If you can do the work, then you can save money. If not, then add another $200 for adding a recoil pad, glass bedding, plain paint job, and a free-floated barrel. That leaves you with a $300 POS stock that might not work right. I'd go ahead and cough up the bucks for a McMillan or something of that ilk.
4. $150 for a trigger is probably about right for a Mauser, Winchester, or Remington, but I understand that the RAR has a pretty good trigger already, so I'm not sure you need to replace it.
5. The RAR has a good reputation for accuracy because the barrels are pretty good, and a $300 barrel probably won't shoot as well as the factory one. Even if you go with a pre-chambered barrel, still count on about $100 to get it set up and headspaced properly. Again, you can save if you can do the work, but I still feel like you're still taking a chance with a $300 barrel. Like someone else said, a barrel that's worth owning and properly installed starts around $6-700.

Finally, Ruger adds new cartridges to the RAR line every couple of weeks, I'd hold off on getting something just to be different--they'll probably offer what you had built just after you take delivery of your custom. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but having built several bargain-basement customs, I think that their main value is teaching shooters why spending another $1,000 to $1,500 is a really good idea.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Howa / Vanguard is very underrated for custom builds and as they can be picked up cheaply down here I assume that's the same in the US. And while they're not as compatible with as many aftermarket parts as the 700, they are still quite well served in that respect.

As for chambering, what about a 6mm-06 in a fast twist barrel for something different?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bobnob17
The Howa / Vanguard is very underrated for custom builds and as they can be picked up cheaply down here I assume that's the same in the US. And while they're not as compatible with as many aftermarket parts as the 700, they are still quite well served in that respect.

As for chambering, what about a 6mm-06 in a fast twist barrel for something different?

Gunsmiths in the U.S. usually charge a little more to rebarrel actions that require metal to be cut to metric specs because their tools are normally set up to work in inches, not millimeters.

CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great info guys. Like I said my first foray into a custom.

Thought the prices I listed were in the ballpark. B&C stock, timney trigger and ER Shaw barrel (the barrel I found was for a Savage and was chambered and rifled already but didn't look hard for others).

That's why I asked you all here for advice. Guess I'll keep looking or just boot the idea.

Thanks again guys!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great info guys. Like I said my first foray into a custom.

Thought the prices I listed were in the ballpark. B&C stock, timney trigger and ER Shaw barrel (the barrel I found was for a Savage and was chambered and rifled already but didn't look hard for others).

That's why I asked you all here for advice. Guess I'll keep looking or just boot the idea.

Thanks again guys!

One of the reasons that I like Marlin X guns for economic builds is that you can install Savage small shank specs barrels on them with minimal work and there are a lot of inexpensive Savage take-off barrels floating around.

CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok... That's the info I don't know and need to learn. What barrels are interchangeable.

Maybe a dumb question, but if you don't know, you don't know till you ask.

What's the difference between small shank and large shank?

Thanks again!

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

If you go ahead with this I would go no further than replacing the stock. After that it's flushing money down the toilet. If you do a full on rebuild and just don't like it------------ who's going to buy it if you want to sell ?????????????????

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your dough, but I'd look elswhere. The charm of the RAR is the price/performance ratio. Whatever you do, it will still be a cheapo, just not cheap. The exception to this is adding a chassis system. There are some nice looking ones and you can probably save some money over a factory model, maybe. I've seen two very positive reviews of the Precision Rifle in .223 and as a result might lean that way for a target or PD gun (if we had any PDs!).

Like I said, your dough, but there are so many nice new models out there now I just can't see blowing serious money on something like that.

Find the thread here from the guy with $900 in a Marlin that he can't sell if you want a real-life example.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am in the process of gathering what I need to do a build/rebuild similar to what you are doing. I am wanting a handy little rifle in a 250 Savage, for no other reason than because I want a rifle in that caliber without spending a lot of money. I am getting it to hunt with, not to look at. On the advice of 260Remguy, I have gotten a Marlin XS7 in a 243 Win to use for the action (cost-225), instead of a Savage action which I had originally planned for.

I just found a Boyd's laminated stock for sale here on the Fire for 90 that I am waiting on. I originally was going to get a Boyd's walnut stock with checkering. When I saw the laminate stock here for that price, I decided to go ahead and get it, and if all works out with the rifle I will get the stock I want a little ways down the road and possibly look at doing another build like this one with the laminate stock.

I am looking at an ER Shaw barrel as well. I am unsure if I am going to buy the barrel and do the job myself...or send it to them and have the barrel done. I want to do it myself, but after reading and reading some more about the subject I am unsure if I will do it or not. Some say that the short shank barrel with match up with no problems and others say the barrel will need to be set back just a little bit. So I am still undecided on that end of it. I really want to do it myself, so we will see. Good luck with your project!

PS...for the last 6 yrs. or so, I have hunted almost exclusively with a Marlin 7 in a 25/06, and I love the little rifle. So for the build, I am okay with the trigger on the rifle so I won't be changing it out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Let's put it this way. You end up with $1100 in a RAR. You decide to sell it. You might recoup $300 for a used one, but only if you find someone that agrees ,with your ideas.

I have done two custom builds. After a while I get bored with most things. Bottom line is that I lost all of the custom work fees when it came time to sell.

I have a custom stocked late 50s FN that someone decided to sell. The stock just happens to work for me. I gave less than what the labor for the custom stock would have been at the time for the rifle. Someone took a bath on that one. I also have a custom hand engraved and beautifully stocked 1903 Springfield that cost me an ordinary handgun almost 40 years ago. Both of these rifles are shooters.

I can see a younger man doing a build on a pre 64 M70 or a desirable Mauser and hunting it for a lifetime, but you will not get out on that at anywhere near a grand. Do the RAR, and I bet you will want to try a better rifle shortly.

Your money, your choice. Be happy, but be warned.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/14/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all.... I passed on the rifle.

The project will be put on hold indefinitely. And keep my eyes open for a cheap Marlin or Remington action.

Thanks again for all the information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
786 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 3,199 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.