Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 48 1 2 45 46 47 48
#12260367 - 09/09/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 35,593
tzone Offline
Campfire Oracle
tzone  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 35,593
That's a sweet rifle man. Those shells can be had but usually about once a year runs or so.

AIH 300 L
 
#12260699 - 09/09/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
rem141r Online content
Campfire Tracker
rem141r  Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
no major mfg has made 32 rem in at least 40 years as far as i know. remington made 30 rem up until the 90's. 30 rem brass is still made every once in a while and you can find some offbrand 32 rem brass sometimes but i hear the quality is sketchy. nice thing is the 30 rem brass can easily be resized into 32 or 25. you just need to watch COL on those old pumps or you'll hang one up good. best to mic every one. i have all models of rem pumps in full length and carbine. those old 14 and 141 carbines are the slickest little rifles i know.


Nome sayen
#12260733 - 09/09/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 336
Autofive Offline
Campfire Regular
Autofive  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 336
upstate,ny
I picked up a 141 last winter and really like the looks and feel of it. After working up some loads for it I can shoot minute of orange five shot groups at 50 yards with the open sights,I sure won't have it drilled and tapped for scope mounting! I'd like to mount a peep sight on it but they are as rare as hen's teeth.The gun is on the heavy side, but when you pull it up,the sights are aligned well.Hopefully I'll kill a deer with it this fall.

#12260837 - 09/09/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 896
hclark Offline
Campfire Regular
hclark  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 896
SE Texas swamp
Since finding that 300 Savage, I got a 30-06 Carbine:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

But my pride & joy is this 760 in 260 Remington! They only made 250 in 1989. It is NIB, but will blooded this year I HOPE:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

#12261027 - 09/09/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: rem141r]  
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 35,593
tzone Offline
Campfire Oracle
tzone  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 35,593
Originally Posted by rem141r
no major mfg has made 32 rem in at least 40 years as far as i know. remington made 30 rem up until the 90's. 30 rem brass is still made every once in a while and you can find some offbrand 32 rem brass sometimes but i hear the quality is sketchy. nice thing is the 30 rem brass can easily be resized into 32 or 25. you just need to watch COL on those old pumps or you'll hang one up good. best to mic every one. i have all models of rem pumps in full length and carbine. those old 14 and 141 carbines are the slickest little rifles i know.



Yes, you're correct. I was thinking of .32 Winchester. Sorry.

#12261648 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: hclark]  
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
260Remguy Offline
Campfire Kahuna
260Remguy  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
NE
Originally Posted by hclark
Since finding that 300 Savage, I got a 30-06 Carbine:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

But my pride & joy is this 760 in 260 Remington! They only made 250 in 1989. It is NIB, but will blooded this year I HOPE:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]


Is your 260 from a Grice special run?

#12261658 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: tzone]  
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,613
Dillonbuck Online content
Campfire Guide
Dillonbuck  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,613
Pa
Hclark,
Are you sure thats a 260 you bought in 1989?


Clinging to our guns and God.....Yeah an Obama quote, but it fits.
#12261696 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
tomk Offline
Campfire Guide
tomk  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
Michigan
That 760 carbine would be tempting in a 300 Savage--for me anyway. I imagine that never happened...

#12261944 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,488
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
JDK  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,488
Northern Maine
My local shop used to have racks of 760/7600s. All different calibers at times also. Now it is rare that they have any. Wish I had bought a couple more when the getting was good and the prices right.

#12262102 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
rem141r Online content
Campfire Tracker
rem141r  Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
i know a little shop in north west pa that is like a used pump museum. racks loaded with them. i found the holy grail there a few years back. 7600 35 whelen factory carbine. non-cataloged and made for the european market in early 2000's. i think mine is 2003. last time i was there they had a bunch of the grice special maple stocked ones and just about any flavor you wanted in rifles and a few carbines. you have to ask the guy about the carbines. sometimes he has them in the safe.


Nome sayen
#12262265 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,613
Dillonbuck Online content
Campfire Guide
Dillonbuck  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,613
Pa
European market for pumps? I'll be darned.

Oh yeah, there have been some European pumps, but I always thought they were ment for US.


Clinging to our guns and God.....Yeah an Obama quote, but it fits.
#12262746 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: Dillonbuck]  
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
260Remguy Offline
Campfire Kahuna
260Remguy  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
NE
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
European market for pumps? I'll be darned.

Oh yeah, there have been some European pumps, but I always thought they were ment for US.


I've bought a couple of 760s in 30-06 from Simpson, LTD, that they imported from Sweden. One of them has decals on the stock that appear to be tags for moose and black grouse/capercaillie.

#12263056 - 09/10/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: rem141r]  
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 90
Bocajnala Offline
Member
Bocajnala  Offline
Member

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 90
North East Ohio
Originally Posted by rem141r
i know a little shop in north west pa that is like a used pump museum. racks loaded with them. i found the holy grail there a few years back. 7600 35 whelen factory carbine. non-cataloged and made for the european market in early 2000's. i think mine is 2003. last time i was there they had a bunch of the grice special maple stocked ones and just about any flavor you wanted in rifles and a few carbines. you have to ask the guy about the carbines. sometimes he has them in the safe.



What shop? I'd like to make a visit.

-Jake

#12264119 - 09/11/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: tomk]  
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
260Remguy Offline
Campfire Kahuna
260Remguy  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
NE
Originally Posted by tomk
That 760 carbine would be tempting in a 300 Savage--for me anyway. I imagine that never happened...


I think that the only cartridges that the 760 carbine was cataloged in were 270, 280, 308, and 30-06. They may have been made for other cartridges, but those would have been non-cataloged, limited run size, rifles.

#12264144 - 09/11/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: 260Remguy]  
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
tomk Offline
Campfire Guide
tomk  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
Michigan
Interesting 260. Had assumed it was only the 06. The 280 in an 18" barrel was probably the unspoken version of why they loaded it down...)

Shot an 760 30-06 some, and it was too loud for me...then.

#12264435 - 09/11/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: 260Remguy]  
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
rem141r Online content
Campfire Tracker
rem141r  Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by tomk
That 760 carbine would be tempting in a 300 Savage--for me anyway. I imagine that never happened...


I think that the only cartridges that the 760 carbine was cataloged in were 270, 280, 308, and 30-06. They may have been made for other cartridges, but those would have been non-cataloged, limited run size, rifles.


35 too. very few. something like 300 in the early to mid 60's.


Nome sayen
#12265716 - 09/12/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 55
Windfall Offline
Member
Windfall  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 55
WI.
I made my own carbine out of that really long 24" barrel on a M141 .35 Remington. Being a kind of squirrel like tree climber/hunter in my youth, those long barrels caught on way more branches than the 18-20" versions. I did have one of those 18.5" .308 Remington 742 semi-autos when I thought that I needed to shoot fast and I didn't shoot it often enough to realize that it was overly loud. Just not real well made with stamped parts and a short lifespan because that breech bolt worked those receiver rails like a milling machine.


My other auto is a .45
#12266474 - 09/12/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: Windfall]  
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
tomk Offline
Campfire Guide
tomk  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
Michigan
The more you shoot an 18" in a high power, the less it bothers you...

I wouldn't mind knocking a couple inches off the Model 14"s barrel, though I realize it may be the worst kind of apostasy--worse even than putting a synthetic stock on a G33. And as I learned on 24hr, the heretic receives a special place in hell for that. But maybe they meant something like a first class seat...

Anyway at 7# even, it is a sweetheart for what I use it for. Practically perfect, just like what's her name.

#12268102 - 09/13/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: Windfall]  
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
260Remguy Offline
Campfire Kahuna
260Remguy  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 21,984
NE
Originally Posted by Windfall
I made my own carbine out of that really long 24" barrel on a M141 .35 Remington. Being a kind of squirrel like tree climber/hunter in my youth, those long barrels caught on way more branches than the 18-20" versions. I did have one of those 18.5" .308 Remington 742 semi-autos when I thought that I needed to shoot fast and I didn't shoot it often enough to realize that it was overly loud. Just not real well made with stamped parts and a short lifespan because that breech bolt worked those receiver rails like a milling machine.


IIRC, John Wooter's had a Remington 14 or 141 in 35 Remington with the barrel cut back so that the muzzle was just a little longer than the magazine tube. I seem to remember see a picture of it in a magazine article at some point in history.

#12268859 - 09/13/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: MagMarc]  
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
rem141r Online content
Campfire Tracker
rem141r  Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,591
i have a pile of 141 parts that i'm going to make into another carbine one of these days. need to do some acraglass work on the wood and refinish it. then i'll get my gunsmith buddy to cut the barrel down, remount the front site and hot blue it. i think that's going to be my winter project this year.


Nome sayen
#12269230 - 09/13/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: 260Remguy]  
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 896
hclark Offline
Campfire Regular
hclark  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 896
SE Texas swamp
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by hclark
Since finding that 300 Savage, I got a 30-06 Carbine:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

But my pride & joy is this 760 in 260 Remington! They only made 250 in 1989. It is NIB, but will blooded this year I HOPE:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]


Is your 260 from a Grice special run?


Yes!

#12269232 - 09/13/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: Dillonbuck]  
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 896
hclark Offline
Campfire Regular
hclark  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 896
SE Texas swamp
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Hclark,
Are you sure thats a 260 you bought in 1989?

Pretty sure, that's what is stamped on the barrel and printed on the label on the box end!

#12269268 - 09/14/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: hclark]  
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,613
Dillonbuck Online content
Campfire Guide
Dillonbuck  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,613
Pa
I didn't think the 260 was that old. Time flies.


Clinging to our guns and God.....Yeah an Obama quote, but it fits.
#12269513 - 09/14/17 Re: Pump Rifles and deer [Re: rem141r]  
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
tomk Offline
Campfire Guide
tomk  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,996
Michigan
Man, if I had the parts would be assembling a 141r with 19 3/8" barrel and a straight grip stock...:)

Last edited by tomk; 09/14/17.
Page 47 of 48 1 2 45 46 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
511 registered members (257 mag, 007FJ, 1990stanggt, 257heaven, 1911a1, 66 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 659 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod









Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.105s Queries: 15 (0.010s) Memory: 1.0764 MB (Peak: 1.4146 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-09-19 22:33:10 UTC