M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by qwk
... I'm not sure why so many like Nosler BT, all you get with those is bloodshot meat. ...

BS

I love it when new members show up and they are already experts! laugh

Reasonable people with differing opinions, no problem. It's the ones who blow in brash and bold that get me going.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by qwk
... I'm not sure why so many like Nosler BT, all you get with those is bloodshot meat. ...

BS

Reasonable people with differing opinions, no problem. It's the ones who blow in brash and bold that get me going.

Reasonable people? You mean like those who put ice in whiskey?
whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No need to debase the conversation.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
grin

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by boliep

Is the Barnes TTSX that good?

No

why say so ? they are a fairly efficient.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used various Barnes bullets almost exclusively for the past 30 years or so in calibers from 223 to 375. The current Barnes bullets are very accurate but they are not magic. If you want DRT you need to hit the CNS. That dictates high shoulder or neck shots. If you want big holes and exit wounds and Stevie Wonder blood trails Barnes should not be your first choice.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 09/14/17.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well said, I don't need "Stevie Wonder" smile blood trails, but what with global warming it is getting to be a rare deer season where we have any snow at all and that blood trail is all that I have to find them by. Last light to find them before the predators two or four legged get them means that I'm not in the mood for hide and seek for very long, so I want a leaky exit wound because two holes bleed better than one. Lots of you guys shoot way farther than I do, so accuracy is secondary to terminal performance in my woods.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by qwk

BS

That's whey they're here. So we can "know" as much as they do when they're done telling us!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Well said, I don't need "Stevie Wonder" smile blood trails, but what with global warming it is getting to be a rare deer season where we have any snow at all and that blood trail is all that I have to find them by. Last light to find them before the predators two or four legged get them means that I'm not in the mood for hide and seek for very long, so I want a leaky exit wound because two holes bleed better than one. Lots of you guys shoot way farther than I do, so accuracy is secondary to terminal performance in my woods.

Let's not forget to mention "old eyes" either. good grief! My kid shot his first deer last fall in WI. Nice tracking snow on the ground, I found hair but not blood. I wave him over. Kid walks right up, and says "is this blood dad?" It's the teeny tiniest speck of blood you'll never see. "Yessir, that's blood." then, "oh theres another one." crazy even in the snow, I'd never have seen it if he didn't point it out.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Global warming? Now the inability to find shot animals is also blamed on global warming? Give me an f'n break.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Global warming? Now the inability to find shot animals is also blamed on global warming? Give me an f'n break.

Maybe I should put him on "ignore". I may need counseling after reading his post. crazy

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lots of things get better with age, but eyes ain't one of them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lots of things get better with age, but eyes ain't one of them.

Hopefully your posts will follow suit. It only took you 47 posts to make a fool out of yourself.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A .338 160 TTSX messes up just as much meat as a .338 180 BT in my limited experience. Both will mess up an elk shoulder on close shots. I'd choose the TTSX every day. At least it penetrates better.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Interlocks or Core-Lokts batter in the magazine.

You may want to try Sierra hollow point game kings, Nosler BT or Hornady Interbonds. I am also curious about the TTSX on deer, and may try them this season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have decided I only need ttsx bullets in my 22 caliber deer rifles.
the old cup and core bullets seem to be plenty adequate when driven at 2700 to 2900 at the short range hunting available here, when used in larger calibers

Last edited by fluffy; 09/16/17.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
Frank Glaser said the .220Swift killed faster than any other cartridge he every used and he killed thousands.

Not sure he referred to thousands, but certainly enough to form an valuable opinion. He did say they were not big enough for brown bears.

But the critical point about his thoughts is they were formed prior to 1954. The bullets of today run circles around the old cup and core bullets Frank used.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Reasonable people? You mean like those who put ice in whiskey?
whistle

That says a lot, it's a keeper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've yet to lose an animal using TSX's or TTSX's. I've also had very good results with the 162gn A-Max in my 7-08AI. The only bullets I've used that I was less than happy with were Hornady SST's and the early Ballistic Tips, both in 277 caliber. I believe the first generation BT's were somewhat more fragile than the ones that followed, and I must have had a batch of the former. Both them and the SST's tended to come apart at close range.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mono's really ain't that good...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.