Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My son is agonizing over his Creedmoor right now. One of his Army buddies wants to trade him a Sedgely 1903 .220 sporter for it. It's a good trade but my son isn't wild about a 1-14" Swift.

He can get back into a 6.5 Creedmoor for under $400 via the Howa 1500 or RAR-P.

Sedgley Sporters don't come along every day and if the price is right, you've got to go for it.

The price is right. He just wants my sons Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creed for the near mint Sedgley sporter he inherited.

Then your son did the right thing, I'd always trade a $500 rifle for a $2,000 rifle unless the $500 rifle has some sort of added value, sentimental or otherwise.

If your son needs a replacement, Johnnymac has a 6.5 Creedmoor V2 for sale in the classified ads forum for $450.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is agonizing over his Creedmoor right now. One of his Army buddies wants to trade him a Sedgely 1903 .220 sporter for it. It's a good trade but my son isn't wild about a 1-14" Swift.

Sedgley Sporters don't come along every day and if the price is right, you've got to go for it.

The price is right. He just wants my sons Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creed for the near mint Sedgley sporter he inherited.

Then your son did the right thing, I'd always trade a $500 rifle for a $2,000 rifle unless the $500 rifle has some sort of added value, sentimental or otherwise.

If your son needs a replacement, Johnnymac has a 6.5 Creedmoor V2 for sale in the classified ads forum for $450.

OK. Thanks!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by greydog
I think the 7x57 is the ultimate rifle round and has been for over 120 years. GD

I am glad that someone stepped up to say it. There ain't nothing on God's Green Earth that hasn't fallen to that round, except maybe t-rex and pterodactyl, and I'm not even sure about that. We'd have to ask Ingwe.

Ingwe with his 7x57 spear is the reason those animals are extinct. wink

Exactamundo.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, the big problem is hunters, because hunters really like to argue about rifles. Otherwise there wouldn't be any gun rags, Internet forums or conversations in hunting camps.

I'm switching to skinny broadheads for everything.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
I beat that dead horse, revived it, and rode it's ass outta Looneyville.

Sig material here^^^^^^^^^

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is exactly why magazine covers often have eye-catching photos and condensations of article titles on their covers.

I'm sure glad we have the Campfire to get away from provocative writing....

....and condensations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

OK. Thanks!

In PA too!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just trying to help a fella out!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I burned the barrel on a old Remington 6 mm. For the re-barrel, I decided to go with a .260, due to the fact that I have virtually unlimited access to Hornady Match .308 brass. For my use (hunting to 500 or so) there is not a dime's worth of difference with the Creed. I just could not see the advantage of going with different brass. I load 147-grain ELD-M and 129 Interlocks in my .260 with no problem and it shoots them into 1/2 moa. I can see no advantage at all in the Creed. If I did not have the great brass access, I probably would have considered it, though.

And yes, I also have two 7 mags that have put a lot of meat in the freezer over the years. They are great rifles, but the older that I get, the more I like the small recoil on the .260. It has become my go-to rifle for what I hunt. I am currently trying to add a Nebraska cow elk to its list of freezer meat!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I'm no expert on the CM cartridges yet, but I've been on an efficiency and purpose kick when it comes to rifle cartridges for a bit. All the other cartridge arguments aside, the CM does more, with less recoil and blast than the 708 or 308, and more energy/bullet than the (non-CM) 6s or 25s. It has more factory loads already than the 260 ever did. All of those little things together mean young, small, and (important) new shooters will spend way more favorable time with it and more will hunt with it. I see it as the new beginner centerfire, even though it's just as easily a super versatile rifleman's cartridge like most of the others mentioned. JMO

I'll agree the 6.5 CM is a great beginner centerfire. It's got plenty of oomph from the muzzle for any size game that a younger or less experienced hunter would be going for. However, as the game increases in size and since most hunting distances are 200 yards or less, that 308 is a certain step above. If elk, black bear, or moose is in the reticle, it's real hard to not prefer a much heavier bullet. The fact remains, at normal hunting distances, the 308 can do everything that the 6.5 CM can do with just as light bullets like the 110 or 130 TTSX and do things on the heavier end of the spectrum that the 6.5 CM can not. The 6.5 CM's only superior place is on the shooting range punching paper. Hey if I did lots of range work and just did some deer hunting every fall I'd be all about it and sing its praises but to call it the 'ultimate rifle round', well just says that range work and deer hunting is all that matters.

I can see the position. Just don't see much a 6.5 wouldn't do, that my 308s would get used for. When I get to that point, I have 358s and 30-06s, and any 308 is just a tweener, too. Saying the CM is good doesn't mean others are bad. Pointing out it's better efficiency and potential is just a factor of us learning better where the sweet spot is for bore, case, bullets, and powders. Doesn't make stuff more dead, just streamlines the tools some.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/17/17.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I burned the barrel on a old Remington 6 mm. For the re-barrel, I decided to go with a .260, due to the fact that I have virtually unlimited access to Hornady Match .308 brass. For my use (hunting to 500 or so) there is not a dime's worth of difference with the Creed. I just could not see the advantage of going with different brass. I load 147-grain ELD-M and 129 Interlocks in my .260 with no problem and it shoots them into 1/2 moa. I can see no advantage at all in the Creed. If I did not have the great brass access, I probably would have considered it, though.

And yes, I also have two 7 mags that have put a lot of meat in the freezer over the years. They are great rifles, but the older that I get, the more I like the small recoil on the .260. It has become my go-to rifle for what I hunt. I am currently trying to add a Nebraska cow elk to its list of freezer meat!

Some people encounter COAL issues with bullets longer/heavier than the 130 grain AB, like the 147 grain ELD-M, when they load the 260 for use through short action Remington 2.8" magazines.

The shorter 6.5 Creedmoor case eliminates any chance of COAL being a problem with bullets that are currently available.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'll agree it is the Ultimate Latest Hyped Rifle Round.....

to hear some folks talk how did we ever live without it?

oh wait, wasn't there something similar years ago...

like something called a 250 Savage?

and on second thought, isn't it trying to reinvent the wheel comparing it to the 260?

I don't read those mags anymore and haven't for years...

if I need any gunwriter input in life, few can get a more down to earth perspective
than our own John Barsness....

I agree. It's somebody's ultimate round, except mine and thousands of other shooters. But it's still the ultimate until the next ultimate round comes along.

WSSMs, WSMs, CMs, RUMs, Lazzaronis. I've read similar written about them when they arrived on the scene as well. You decide what your ultimate is. It's a story title designed to generate sales.

Agree with it or not, people buy magazines based on nifty titles and coolish pictures. Some people follow certain writers. It's the magazine business. It's all about sales. The ones who disagree will buy it so they can pick the article apart. The ones who agree just like reading something about which they like. The fence sitters will be no better off after reading it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Isn't that bit of a stretch?

See pages 58 thru 62 of the June/July issue of Outdoor Life magazine.
...........................Yeah! A bit of a stretch too imo. However, I suppose if one prefers a flat shooting lower recoiling cartridge with very good downrange ballistics who will hunt game no larger than elk, then the 6.5 CM is a good choice for that individual. Ultimate rifle round though?

Assuming that Mr. Snow is a 6.5 CM owner, I'll bet that Mr. Snow has more than just a 6.5 CM sitting in his gun safe and that his other rifles are not safe queens and/or dust collectors.

No such thing as "the ONE ultimate hunting round."

For all us non 6.5 CM owners, let's all sell the rifles we now have and just own one rifle and one cartridge only,,,,,,namely the 6.5 CM.......

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'll agree it is the Ultimate Latest Hyped Rifle Round.....

to hear some folks talk how did we ever live without it?

oh wait, wasn't there something similar years ago...

like something called a 250 Savage?

and on second thought, isn't it trying to reinvent the wheel comparing it to the 260?

I don't read those mags anymore and haven't for years...

if I need any gunwriter input in life, few can get a more down to earth perspective
than our own John Barsness....

I agree. It's somebody's ultimate round, except mine and thousands of other shooters. But it's still the ultimate until the next ultimate round comes along.

WSSMs, WSMs, CMs, RUMs, Lazzaronis. I've read similar written about them when they arrived on the scene as well. You decide what your ultimate is. It's a story title designed to generate sales.

Agree with it or not, people buy magazines based on nifty titles and coolish pictures. Some people follow certain writers. It's the magazine business. It's all about sales. The ones who disagree will buy it so they can pick the article apart. The ones who agree just like reading something about which they like. The fence sitters will be no better off after reading it.

This type of article is always going to be focused on the right now. Is it going to make you sell your prized 30-06 or .270 for pennies on the dollar? I should hope not, but if you get that desire shoot me a PM before posting in the classifieds. Of everything you listed from the WSSM's to the Lazzaronis this is the only new cartridge that I recall gaining this much traction in my lifetime. I think what impresses me most is the availability of quality ammunition at a reasonable price point. Ballistic twin of the 6.5x55 and the .260? Absolutely. The only difference is today I can buy hunting ammo for less than $1 per round for the 6.5 Creedmoor whereas the other two I cannot.

I distinctly remember reading a similar Outdoor Life article in the waiting room of my dentist's office 15-20 years ago. Mr. Carmichael was discussing the magnificence of the then new .260 Rem. I wanted one in the worst way but didn't have the cash for another rifle. I chose to buy college textbooks instead. When I got to the point that I could buy a 260 I chose to purchase the 6.5 CM instead because I preferred the rifle it was chambered in. The point of any of these articles isn't to make you get rid of all of your other rifles because they're obsolete. Its not like every new rifle that is reviewed is in some exotic caliber. Do you think Ruger cares if your 7th RAR rifle you are adding to your collection is in .308 or 6.5 CM? If you need/want/obsess over another rifle articles such as these give you a reason to purchase one. If you're new to rifle ownership they give you an idea of what people are shooting in the current market.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My question is: "What's next?" Just when you think there's enough chamberings to choke a horse, there's another mousetrap in the works. 6 creed, 7 Creed, 223 Creed, 9.3xCreed...

Good grief.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"You know nothing, John Snow"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I recently bought a 6.5 Creedmoor, mainly because I got a very good deal on the rifle, not especially because I was excited over the chambering. I've been pleasantly surprised by how accurate it is, and love shooting it. So far, all I've "killed" with it has been paper and steel, but I will deer hunt with it this fall. Now, having said that, I don't get a tingle down my leg every time I read or hear something about the 6.5 CM. As good a cartridge as it may be, for what I do, there are others just as good, and some even better. I don't compete in long range shooting matches, I'm just a hunter, and the biggest game I hunt is whitetail deer. My rifles in 243 will take care of my deer hunting needs just as good as the Creedmoor could. My 270 will do the job even better. My heavy barrel 308 shoots as good at long range as the Creedmoor does. Still, I believe it's a good round, and one that I'll play around with until something better comes along.......as it surely will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I My heavy barrel 308 shoots as good at long range as the Creedmoor does.

well ,no that's the point, it doesn't. grin supposed to shoot flatter and retain more energy than the 308 at long range.

a lot of it is the bullets.that 6.5mm 143 gr BC is .625, the same make and model 30 cal 168gr is .523.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I My heavy barrel 308 shoots as good at long range as the Creedmoor does.

well ,no that's the point, it doesn't. grin supposed to shoot flatter, drift less in the wind, and retain more energy than the 308 at long range.

a lot of it is the bullets.that 6.5mm 143 gr BC is .625, the same make and model 30 cal 168gr is .523.

You left out a big one for long distance work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will agree that amongst offerings of "Every Man, Middle of the Road" do-all cartridges, that the 6.5 CM has a little more going for it than about any other standard factory set-up.

I chose the .260 because I got a chance at a really cool rifle that just happened to come from the factory (special run) with the advantages of the Creedmoor. And the CM wasn't offered in that rifle at the time. I remember thinking that the special run would have been unnecessary if the maker had simply bought a 6.5 CM reamer.

If a guy wants a very capable rifle for hunting that he can play around shooting long range with, and do well, then the creedmore is an obvious choice.
There are other choices, but the CM has more going for it in terms of OAL/chamber/mag length, Component availability, and even factory cartridge availability.

And I'm familiar with the name "John B. Snow". But I stopped reading the rags years ago, and I couldn't tell you much about the guy. I do think that in the large sense, he's right about the Creedmoor

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,728
Posts18,457,378
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.