Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by whitebread
Originally Posted by Northman
6.5 Creedmore.. just a poor copy of the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Hornady has spent ungodly amounts of advertisement money on that cartridge.

That pretty much sums up my experience. Small primer, less powder, similar velocities, shorter COL, better barrel life, handles high pressure better, etc.

Yup. The Lapua is a better design, but didn't get into America's consciousness quickly enough to head off the Hornday full-court press.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by whitebread
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I noticed some Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass in Cabela's last weekend. They must be laughing all the way to the bank too.

It is quite good brass - small rifle primer pocket with an undersized flash hole. I changed over to that with all my 6.5 CR's.

The new small primer brass will be awesome.... until it's cold outside....

That's been mentioned here numerous times and seems to fall on deaf ears. For hunter's sake, I hope it's not an animal-of-a-lifetime they get an education on small primers in the cold. whistle
Plenty will come forth and cite how they've managed for years.....until the one time they don't manage. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
If you have to take all that schit into account for a hunting rifle, you're way overthinking it.

The campfire is no place for logic ☺

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Seafire
So who in the hell is John B Snow? anyone ever answer that?

don't feel like reading 12 pages to find out...

Outdoor Life's gunwriter who replaced Jim Carmichael. He's been there for some years now.

Well, I haven't read those rags for decades...

only gun writers I read are on the campfire...

John B, Wayne vZ when he posted, Steve Timm, & Greg Boddington...
when ever they were here or posted...

besides that no need...

gotta a bunch of gun rags from the 80s, Anybody want 'em?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Balistics we have had for well over 100 years.
The thing that makes the 6.5CM so good is that those 100 year old ballistics are very very good. And (some of) the rifles it's being made in are using a NATO length detachable magazine for those that like such things.

I think the 6.5 CM is excellent, but not for the reasons we are being told. It's the latest and "best ever"---------------------- just like the shooting position.....................

[Linked Image]4bd3053b038cae6ea3e30edb7588c41c by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
Which no one uses anymore because they found it was really not better. Only the REAL EXPERTS used it, and then ..........they didn't.

Those 100 year old ballistics were and still are very very good, so I do like the CM, ---------- but sometimes we have to admit that the emperor really is naked. A long slim .264 Bullet of about 140 grains moving at about 2700 FPS fired with a 1 in 8" twist is not new at all. But it's still very good.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by szihn
Balistics we have had for well over 100 years.
The thing that makes the 6.5CM so good is that those 100 year old ballistics are very very good. And (some of) the rifles it's being made in are using a NATO length detachable magazine for those that like such things.

I think the 6.5 CM is excellent, but not for the reasons we are being told. It's the latest and "best ever"---------------------- just like the shooting position.....................

[Linked Image]4bd3053b038cae6ea3e30edb7588c41c by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
Which no one uses anymore because they found it was really not better. Only the REAL EXPERTS used it, and then ..........they didn't.

Those 100 year old ballistics were and still are very very good, so I do like the CM, ---------- but sometimes we have to admit that the emperor really is naked. A long slim .264 Bullet of about 140 grains moving at about 2700 FPS fired with a 1 in 8" twist is not new at all. But it's still very good.

Great post!! wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The 6.5x55 will pretty much do anything the creedmoor will

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I prefer the .338WM...better defense against bears and easier to set atop the case when reloading

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sandpit

Except get the ooooo's and aaaaaah's of Creednation.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Or fit in a true short length action.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I do enjoy how the press has jumped on the creedmore with such glee. Basically the Creedmore has brought back a more rational look at performance. Most people hunt deer. Some hunt elk and even fewer hunt bigger game. Percentagewise a Creedmore has plenty for most and enough for the rest. The fact it basically copies the 6.5x55 (circa 1891) in a more compact cartridge and fits the All important short action rifle are a bonus. It's factory ammo support is relatively unsurpassed in a newer offering. After 126 years the performance that it mirrors is still useful and I am ok with that.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had the Creed come along in1925, we'd be talking about knitting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16

Or fit in a true short length action.

And that. Tikka Swede or Creed is same/same essentially.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Never heard of him, but I can say with verification, that "one man's meat is another man's poison". (Older saying than me)

Amazing how the most infrequent words may be "I like".

Well. "I like" the 7x57 and nothing either side of it will leverage that away from my gun rack.

Eleanor knew more than any of us, 7x57 and .30/06 then go hunting. The rest is for fun.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

I finally read the article, and nowhere does John Snow say the 6.5 Creedmoor is the ultimate rifle round.

Instead, the cover blurb for the article uses the phrase, which I can guarantee you was not written by John Snow. Instead it was written by some editor, for hyping newstand sales--which obviously worked.

The article's title is, "6.5 CREEDMOOR - HOW THIS MILD METRIC WENT FROM NICHE COMPETITION ROUND TO SHOOTING AND HUNTING SUPERSTAR". I can also guarantee John did not write this title either, though it's far closer to what the article's about that anything involving "ultimate rifle cartridge."

The article does not claim anything like that. Instead it covers the history of the 6.5 Creedmoor, including why it was designed when very similar cartridges already existed, and also describes some of John Snow's experiences with it, which are considerable, since he's been shooting it a lot, both at targets and big game, since it appeared a decade ago.

But again, nowhere in the article does John Snow call it the ultimate rifle cartridge, or anything resembling that. Instead that only appeared on the cover of the magazine--and as the header of this thread.

That said, the "ultimate header" obviously worked, both for the magazine and 24hourcampfire. It sold a lot of copies of OUTDOOR LIFE, and continues to suck Campfire members into this thread, which has gone on longer than most, and probably will continue for a while yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy schit, more FAKE NEWS!!

Clear off a shelf John, you've got a Peabody Award coming.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For the average hunter/shooter what does the Creed do that the 6.5x55, 6.5x284, 260 remington and 6.5 Rem mag cant do? Nothing IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
For the average hunter/shooter what does the Creed do that the 6.5x55, 6.5x284, 260 remington and 6.5 Rem mag cant do? Nothing IMO.

The list is waaaaay longer than that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Holy schit, more FAKE NEWS!!

Clear off a shelf John, you've got a Peabody Award coming.

The damn Russians are behind this!!! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BWalker

World class ammo, $25 a box....

It's hard for me to fathom, why it's so hard for some to grasp. Factory ammo that is better than the vast majority of handloads for less than $25 a box available almost everywhere- even Walmart- and factory rifles setup to show that performance. If I want good performance out of the 6.5x55- reload. If I want almost any 6.5x284- reload. If I want the best performance from a 260- reload. 6.5 Rem mag- reload. Have a 6.5 Creedmoor and want ammo capable of winning national championships- go buy it at Walmart for $28. Just want to shoot deer, yet punch tiny groups? Buy $18 a box ammo at Walmart.

The greatest attributes that the 308 had- tend to be accurate, lower recoil, factory match ammo... The Creedmoor crushes it in every one, and on top of that adds less wind drift and higher retained velocity for those that care.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.