24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I do my Cummins Dodge every 5000 miles, my jeep every 3000 cause it's a 4 cylinder with 4.10 gears. It's turning 2500 RPM to go 60 mph.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've been a Mobil 1 user since the 80's but I stopped using it a few years ago.

I average a little less than 3K a year on the car and less than 5K on the truck. If I did Mobil 1 and be changing oil once every 3-4 years. That just don't seem right.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I change oil in everything I own....passenger cars, tractors, and small engines once a year, mostly in the spring or fall when the weather is nice. I think the only scientific way to know what interval will work for your particular vehicle, driving habits, and type of oil is to get the used oil analyzed, otherwise you are just guessing. Since an oil analysis cost more than an oil change for my stuff, I GUESS that based on my use, once a year is plenty. I've never had any oil related problems with anything in my life and can't say that I know anyone who has. Any halfway reasonable oil change interval and the body of your vehicle along with the electronic gizmos on it will probably fall apart around your still running engine at some point, long after most folks have traded out of boredom.

I notice that all of the high end synthetics such as the new annual protection Mobil one as well as Amsoil say to change every 25k or ANNUALLY. This leads me to believe that either 1) they want you to sell you some oil at least once a year whether you need it or not, or 2) oil degrades with time as well as usage. I also notice that companies will take an engine and run it around the clock, change the oil at some long interval, and then tear down the engine to show how it still looks and specs like new to prove the superiority of their high end oils. To me this does not prove much because that is the easiest possible scenario for any oil. I'd bet some serious dough that any oil would look good under that scenario but would be hell on their marketing campaigns. That is not to say that I think that synthetic is not better because it is and I use it. How much better is the question sort of like how much deader does a 30-06 kill a deer than a .223.

My theory is that if you drive your vehicle a lot for decent distances all the time where it always gets good and hot, you can stack up the miles on your oil and be fine. If you do like me and drive a lot of short trips where the engine does not get warmed up before you shut it off, that is the worst thing and you need to either get the oil analyzed to establish an interval or just change it more often.....or if you have an oil life monitor, go by that.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/14/17.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My truck now tells me when it's time. 7-10K miles now.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by centershot
5K per Owner's Manuel, not Dealership recommendation.........trying to decide if Trans service is necessary or Dealer BS currently. 55K miles on 2013 Nissan Frontier.

My manual says every 10K if I'm using synthetic, which I do. Dealer insists I do it every 3K miles, and only at their shop. LMAO.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
I've been changing the oil in my truck from 5K to 7K miles. What are you guys doing? I stopped changing it every 3K miles years ago.
........................3 months ago after all of my free bee oil changes (done every 6K miles) were used up at the dealer where I bought my 2015 Ram Hemi brand new, I started using 5-20 AMSOIL Signature series along with their appropriate long range oil filter.......$12.30 per quart x 7 quarts is $86.10, plus the filter at about $17.00 from the local AMSOIL distributor, plus $22.00 to do the oil change where I go. About 134.00 total every 15K vs $40 to $50 each time every 5K.........Cost wise, it is almost a wash.

Oil w/filter changes now at every 15K miles.

Holy Mary Mother of Christ, you go hosed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oil use to be by product of crude oil refinery and had a lot of sulfur and other nasty stuff in it, today's oil are engineered and much more pure or synthetic.
if you engine is operating correctly and oil level is fine 10 to 15k per oil change should be fine. check for oil color and smell change.

viscosity measurement is easy if you want do it , use a measured cup ( lets say 100 ml ) and drill a hole at the bottom , fill the cup with oil and measure how long will it take to empty ( at a given temperature and pressure ( ambient ) ) . does it change with time ? it mean oil is breaking down.

above measurement device is called a 'ford cup' , you may be able to buy it online.

P.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's more to oil than viscosity. The levels of additives and the base (ability to resist acidification) are equally critical. Other issues, like fuel dilution and soot (diesels) can affect viscosity, but not always in predictable ways.

Oil analysis is cheap and effective, particularly on diesels with large oil sumps.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About 7500 miles on the wifes Buick, Castrol Syntec. Before a trip over 200 miles on my F250 but it's a 2000 with only 176,000 mi. on it. I use Motorcraft synth blend and Motorcraft filters.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My truck gets it about every 3-4K.

My DD is a 95 accord. I usually run it 8-10K between changes. Around 4-5K, I usually have to add about 1/2 a quart or so. Those high mileage hondas burn a bit of oil in my experience.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
My truck now tells me when it's time. 7-10K miles now.
What if yer truck forgets? laugh laugh

(FWIW, mine does too but I go by my records to make sure.. )

Originally Posted by Dutch
There's more to oil than viscosity. The levels of additives and the base (ability to resist acidification) are equally critical. Other issues, like fuel dilution and soot (diesels) can affect viscosity, but not always in predictable ways.

Oil analysis is cheap and effective, particularly on diesels with large oil sumps.
Exactly.. I have Blackstone Labs run an analysis at every change... So far, so good...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Exactly.. I have Blackstone Labs run an analysis at every change... So far, so good...

I use the Wix Oil Analysis Kit which farms out the actual lab work. However, I don't see any need to do it every oil change. Establish a base for the intervals and types of driving conditions then just change the oil and filter accordingly with maybe an oil analysis once in a long while to verify everything OK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With today's low viscosity specifications coupled with the fact that most "new" oil is recycled and contains synthetic anyway, I change mine every 8-10k and just trade the truck in at 100k anyway. I also buy a warranty on my tires and the seem to get screws in each of them by 40k. I also negotiate and buy an extended warranty to get me to that 100k for the dip-crap electronic stuff especially.

Its just transportation

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/14/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've been changing the oil in my truck from 5K to 7K miles. What are you guys doing? I stopped changing it every 3K miles years ago.
........................3 months ago after all of my free bee oil changes (done every 6K miles) were used up at the dealer where I bought my 2015 Ram Hemi brand new, I started using 5-20 AMSOIL Signature series along with their appropriate long range oil filter.......$12.30 per quart x 7 quarts is $86.10, plus the filter at about $17.00 from the local AMSOIL distributor, plus $22.00 to do the oil change where I go. About 134.00 total every 15K vs $40 to $50 each time every 5K.........Cost wise, it is almost a wash.

didn't know know the dead needed an oil change
............I see that u just couldn't help yourself.....Yep....Even dead folk who still drive need oil changes....LOL.😁

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
honestly... when i get around to it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ldholton

didn't know know the dead needed an oil change
............I see that u just couldn't help yourself.....Yep....Even dead folk who still drive need oil changes....LOL.😁
Originally Posted by tzone

Holy Mary Mother of Christ, you go hosed.
..............Hosed uh?....Really?.....So what are the cost differences between anyone that spends roughly $40-50 every 5K for an oil change vs $134 every 15k?....Holy Mary Mother of Christ! U obviously think only about up front costs vs longer term over a period of time.....Hosed? Lol.😁

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
.....$12.30 per quart x 7 quarts is $86.10, plus the filter at about $17.00 from the local AMSOIL distributor, plus $22.00 to do the oil change where I go. About 134.00 total every 15K vs $40 to $50 each time every 5K.........Cost wise, it is almost a wash.

..............Hosed uh?....Really?.....So what are the cost differences between anyone that spends roughly $40-50 every 5K for an oil change vs $134 every 15k?....Holy Mary Mother of Christ! U obviously think only about up front costs vs longer term over a period of time.....Hosed? Lol.😁

Is Amsoil really THAT much better than Mobil 1 synthetic? I'm skeptical.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I change my oil in my Tacoma about every 4,500 or so with conventional oil. My wife's Highlander runs synthetic and she goes about 8,000. My Jeep Wrangler gets it about once a year, which may not be 3,000 miles.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
.....$12.30 per quart x 7 quarts is $86.10, plus the filter at about $17.00 from the local AMSOIL distributor, plus $22.00 to do the oil change where I go. About 134.00 total every 15K vs $40 to $50 each time every 5K.........Cost wise, it is almost a wash.

Is Amsoil really THAT much better than Mobil 1 synthetic? I'm skeptical.
..........................I delved into doing a little research on not only the Amsoil site (tons of reviews) but on you tube as well. Have a bud whom suggested that I try some.....Apparently the Amsoil Signature series (their best), when compared to Mobil 1, Royal Purple and all other top line full synthetics, exceed them and all others in categories of hot and cold testing and friction testing....Has something to do with the way it is made......Thought I'd give it a try.....Receiving a one mpg increase and noticed that my truck's Hemi engine is not only quieter but became a little bit more zippy as well.....Do your own research as I did.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Changed out intake manifold gaskets on my 2000 Blazer last weekend....Got oil but didn't have the time to change it yet. Planning on it tomorrow. I think I have around 14,000 or so on the Castrol GTX High Mileage in there...still clear.

I have to change the oil in the girlfriends '03 Ram 1500 every year even though she only puts about 800 miles on the frickin' thing during the year.

Lawnmowers, chainsaw, snowblower, 4-wheeler......Well, they had oil in them when I got them.....They still do as far as I know.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
186 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.