Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Teeder
I would be switching to a crossbow.

I would second that.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Worked in Cardiology for about 10 years...most enjoyable jobs I've ever had...Loved it

but after reading your initial post yesterday Mike, I have to admit, instead of posting
I figured you wouldn't be short for advise....

I just put your good health in my prayers...

yeah,it was Thanksgiving 1968, but lost my grandfather on my mom's side
to an aortic aneurysm, at 61 yrs old.

ain't worth playing Russian Roulette with it.

Thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Teeder
I would be switching to a crossbow.

I would second that.

I don't think it's to that point. My initial cardiologist in NC told me a 5.56 would be fine. He didn't seem real familiar with guns but he knew that one. That's why I'm considering switching to a .22-250 for almost all my hunting. I haven't shot much in the way of bigger cartridges this year. I think I've fired a grand total of 1 box .300 Savage, 1 box 308 Win, 2 boxes 30-30, and 6 rounds of weak 45-70. And that's way, way down for me. Most of my shooting has been .22 magnum lately.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Even though the doctor is not too familiar with guns err to the side of caution and stay with a 223. The 22/250 burns about 10 grs more powder and the recoil goes up quite a bit when going from the 223 to the 22/250.

For instance a 223 with 55 gr bullet, 25.0 gr of powder, @ 3200 fps

Recoil Velocity: 5.9 ft/s Recoil Energy: 3.8 ft•lbs
Recoil Impulse: 1.3 lb•s

a 22/250 with 55 gr bullet, 36.0 grs of powder, @3550 fps

Recoil Velocity: 7.4 ft/s Recoil Energy: 6.0 ft•lbs
Recoil Impulse: 1.6 lb•s

both calculated with a 7# rifle weight.

Take a look at the difference in recoil energy - it is quite a bit more.

It's your life, but if it were me I would limit my shooting to rimfires and the 223 Rem.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've even put a recoil pad on my AR 15 and its a 223.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by drover
Even though the doctor is not too familiar with guns err to the side of caution and stay with a 223. The 22/250 burns about 10 grs more powder and the recoil goes up quite a bit when going from the 223 to the 22/250.

For instance a 223 with 55 gr bullet, 25.0 gr of powder, @ 3200 fps

Recoil Velocity: 5.9 ft/s Recoil Energy: 3.8 ft•lbs
Recoil Impulse: 1.3 lb•s

a 22/250 with 55 gr bullet, 36.0 grs of powder, @3550 fps

Recoil Velocity: 7.4 ft/s Recoil Energy: 6.0 ft•lbs
Recoil Impulse: 1.6 lb•s

both calculated with a 7# rifle weight.

Take a look at the difference in recoil energy - it is quite a bit more.

It's your life, but if it were me I would limit my shooting to rimfires and the 223 Rem.

drover

Besides, who needs anything more than a .223 to hunt deer and stuff?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does your aneurysm measure?

What imaging have the Dr's done.

This is literally drop dead serious stuff and if you don't know what it measured or none of these test have been ran then you flat blast need a new Doctor.

CT scan ?

Echocardiogram ?

Angiogram ?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I've had CT scan , echocardiogram, and I'm not sure about an angiogram. If they ever told me what it measures I don't remember.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yes, I've had CT scan , echocardiogram, and I'm not sure about an angiogram. If they ever told me what it measures I don't remember.

Normal is 3 centimeters

They recomend surgery at 5 centimeters

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All I remember is the aneurysm is in my Left Anterior Descending artery. They fixed a blockage immediately in front of it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife is telling me she doesn't think they called it an aortic aneurysm but instead said it's right below the aortic valve. I don't know if that changes much.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mike, that info COMPLETELY changes the picture!!!

Aneurysm of a coronary artery (which is what the left anterior descending or LAD is) is a totally different animal than an aortic aneurysm. Aortic aneurysms are quite common, and normally managed by monitoring with ultrasound or CT on a regular basis. When the aneurysm gets to a given size (depends on what part of the aorta we are talking about, thoracic vs abdominal) they recommend fixing it with a mesh insert, then it's good to go.

A coronary artery aneurysm is a very different animal, which is both bad and good. It can't be followed by external imaging quite as well as an aortic aneurysm can. And spontaneous rupture is far less likely. But fixing it is a much more complicated picture, as it requires an open heart procedure on bypass pump.

That's as much as I know off the cuff. I have no idea what recoil management level is dangerous for such a condition, and I suspect the cardiologists have no idea either. But the fact that the doc has authorized you to shoot a 5.56 is encouraging. I'd stick with that, preferably in an AR-15 platform, which will reduce the recoil even further, which means you can then handload heavier bullets in the 75+ gr class for hunting larger game like elk and bear. Anything smaller than that down to deer/hog size should be easily managed with a 62-65 gr load, and small game and varmints should be easily managed with 40 gr bullets.

You're a lucky man. The rest of us don't know what rifle we would pick if we could only pick one... and you, you lucky dog, have had the decision made for you! So get out there with your AR and start shootin' stuff.

And good luck with the further workup and eventual treatment of your aneurysm.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Mike, that info COMPLETELY changes the picture!!!

Aneurysm of a coronary artery (which is what the left anterior descending or LAD is) is a totally different animal than an aortic aneurysm. Aortic aneurysms are quite common, and normally managed by monitoring with ultrasound or CT on a regular basis. When the aneurysm gets to a given size (depends on what part of the aorta we are talking about, thoracic vs abdominal) they recommend fixing it with a mesh insert, then it's good to go.

A coronary artery aneurysm is a very different animal, which is both bad and good. It can't be followed by external imaging quite as well as an aortic aneurysm can. And spontaneous rupture is far less likely. But fixing it is a much more complicated picture, as it requires an open heart procedure on bypass pump.

That's as much as I know off the cuff. I have no idea what recoil management level is dangerous for such a condition, and I suspect the cardiologists have no idea either. But the fact that the doc has authorized you to shoot a 5.56 is encouraging. I'd stick with that, preferably in an AR-15 platform, which will reduce the recoil even further, which means you can then handload heavier bullets in the 75+ gr class for hunting larger game like elk and bear. Anything smaller than that down to deer/hog size should be easily managed with a 62-65 gr load, and small game and varmints should be easily managed with 40 gr bullets.

You're a lucky man. The rest of us don't know what rifle we would pick if we could only pick one... and you, you lucky dog, have had the decision made for you! So get out there with your AR and start shootin' stuff.

And good luck with the further workup and eventual treatment of your aneurysm.

Thank you for the very helpful post!!!!!!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A young sailor in my command dropped dead at 20 years old from one. He was in the ER within 5 minutes of the rupture. The cardiologist at the hospital said he would have not made it even if he was lying on the OR table prepped for surgery when it happened. Prayers for your good health and finding a new doc. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Daughter Sandi has had 4 operations at Stanford for brain aneurysm's. Two in the last year. The Doctors think she is doing good enough to go hunting next month. They will monitor her twice a year though. She shoots a Tikka compact 7-08 for deer, a Tikka 308 with a shortened stock, Edwards recoil reducer and a limbsaver stock for pigs and she has a Tikka 7 mag for Elk if she ever gets drawn which I am trying to find a gunsmith to shorten the stock and install a recoil reducer. If I were you I would certainly look at the 7-08 over the 308 if kept factory. The bottom line is they are nothing to fool around with. If the ambulance had gotten there 30 minute later she would not be with us today as it had ruptured in two places. Thank goodness they got her to Stanford in time with Doctors that knew what to do. Best of luck to you.

deer

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyote268
My Daughter Sandi has had 4 operations at Stanford for brain aneurysm's. Two in the last year. The Doctors think she is doing good enough to go hunting next month. They will monitor her twice a year though. She shoots a Tikka compact 7-08 for deer, a Tikka 308 with a shortened stock, Edwards recoil reducer and a limbsaver stock for pigs and she has a Tikka 7 mag for Elk if she ever gets drawn which I am trying to find a gunsmith to shorten the stock and install a recoil reducer. If I were you I would certainly look at the 7-08 over the 308 if kept factory. The bottom line is they are nothing to fool around with. If the ambulance had gotten there 30 minute later she would not be with us today as it had ruptured in two places. Thank goodness they got her to Stanford in time with Doctors that knew what to do. Best of luck to you.

deer

I'm very happy your daughter survived that. Praise God!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
A young sailor in my command dropped dead at 20 years old from one. He was in the ER within 5 minutes of the rupture. The cardiologist at the hospital said he would have not made it even if he was lying on the OR table prepped for surgery when it happened. Prayers for your good health and finding a new doc. Happy Trails

Thanks. I hate to hear that about a young person. If I go I'm in my 40's and I've lived. It just really gets me when the young people die.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm until about 16 months ago. The docs monitored it for 2 years until it grew to a little over 5cm. I could not get a definitive answer from the doc about shooting any caliber so I chose caution and did not shoot at all. I still made two hunting trips and enjoyed the woods and the campfire. The two years of monitoring was no fun despite the docs assurance that monitoring was safer than surgery. Even when it reached the threshold size the doc suggested we could wait a little longer. I told her that I want it fixed now rather than have it rupture at a time of it's own choosing. We went into surgery and she put in a little piece of "radiator hose" and I was good as new. Recovery time was only a few weeks and I can do anything I choose now. Still can't play the piano, but shooting is no longer a concern.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 31 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.