-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, if he knows what he is talking about and it is true that the problem is one single burned valve (not likely in my thinking) he can remove that head, replace the valve, mildly seat the remaining 7 and be out of that problem fairly easily. Can he tell you the relative cold compression numbers for those four cans?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Actually, I think it is because of a lot of different things.

Better sealing materials, closer tolerances, better metallurgy, and what not.

Engines are better balanced.

They can keep tolerances so much tighter and uniform with computers.......never would have been able to dream of the consistency in the olden days.

At least on a mass produced scale.

These, but EFI is big. Think how you started a carbed engine, Choke, stomp the throttle twice, accelator pumps spraying raw gas directly into yhe venturi, washing the oil out of the cylinders,smoke rolling, now your perfect tuned carb is running a 12:1 ratii. Ideal s about 14.5: 1. So you are always running too rich. Am I he only one that can sniff out a muscle car at a red light. We never noticed that smell in the past, it was normal.

Truck diesels have been direct injection forever. The electronic controls have lengthened big diesel life significantly since the early nineties.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Valve job never hurt the rings one bit in the old engines....they were already hurt.....the valve job just restored some compression where as it created more blow by and oil consumption..
105 k on a newer engine will look like new inside if it had regular oil changes with good oil...valve may not be even the problem...might be a cam lobe

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by victoro
"Years ago, that was death to the rings and bearings"

Just another old wives tale. I'd be concerned as to why the valve burned. It may have a defective injector on that cylinder and it's running way too lean.

i agree with this as well.

The 6.0 vortec tends to break a rear-most exhaust manifold bolt, for some reason - would an exhaust leak cause the burnt valve?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
[quote=Jim_Conrad]Am I he only one that can sniff out a muscle car at a red light. We never noticed that smell in the past, it was normal.

It's not just muscle cars, it's just about any carb'd V-8. I'm always amazed at the number of folks who don't recognize the sweetish smell of an over-gassed V-8. If there's an early 80's or older pickup pulling a heavier boat, camper, or farm implement and you can smell them from a mile or more.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
They dont all last longer.
Have a 2016 F150 with the smaller eco boost. The dealer finally got an OK from Ford to pull the head to check a valve. Smokes oil on some starts.
Didn't get 45K on the engine before problem.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Valve job never hurt the rings one bit in the old engines....they were already hurt.....the valve job just restored some compression where as it created more blow by and oil consumption..
105 k on a newer engine will look like new inside if it had regular oil changes with good oil...valve may not be even the problem...might be a cam lobe

The reason engines last longer these days is due to better machining, better metallurgical processes (hardened valve guides etc.) and better bearings/seals...IOW, technology...

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Just another old wives tale. I'd be concerned as to why the valve burned. It may have a defective injector on that cylinder and it's running way too lean.

i agree with this as well.

The 6.0 vortec tends to break a rear-most exhaust manifold bolt, for some reason - would an exhaust leak cause the burnt valve?

I forgot about that. An exhaust leak between the exhaust header and the head can will definitely cause a burned valve/seat if you run it too long with the leak. It can also damage the surface of the head where the exhaust port is attached.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ST50

I can't say I ever had bearing failure, but I have definitely seen rings showing their age after adding a tight top end. Long before I ever considered fuel injection.

This stuff on oil was told to me by a chemical engineer in an oil refinery....his job was bonding molecules .....wired huh...but what he told me was the zink protected metal to metal contact points such as cam lobe /lifter....the roller tips eliminated the need for the zink.
I actually learned a lot about oil and how it's made....forgot most of it but parifne based oils tend to want to rebond and they use a catilest to keep it formula...stay away from them as the sludge bad....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
but what he told me was the zink protected metal to metal contact points such as cam lobe /lifter....

Small engines still need the zinc. I see a lot of failures due to folks using standard automotive oils in their lawn & garden engines.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag
but what he told me was the zink protected metal to metal contact points such as cam lobe /lifter....

Small engines still need the zinc. I see a lot of failures due to folks using standard automotive oils in their lawn & garden engines.

You supposed to change the oil in stuff like that???? I just put an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil in every tankful of gas and they run forever...never change the oil in those things.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.