24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A muzzle brake isn't needed on a small cartridge like the 6.5 Creeedmoor but if you really feel you need one, contact forum member rem40xb1. He may be able to make one to your specifications.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My own personal findings is that Recoil Management is paramount in long range shooting. And a rifle this light will be difficult to hang onto in a consistent manner. As well as the ability to spot my own shots. But concur....for "taming" the brutal recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor.....not so much. I'll see if I can look him up and ping him

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The RAR stock to me is not friendly hard to shoot well compared to the Hawkeye stock. More noticeable from the bench than in the field.

The xtra weight of the Predator barrel helps a bunch, compared to the slimmer profile on the standard RAR, All said still very impressed with the RAR in LH.

Don't like the stock here's an option, mine shoot so well not messing with them.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchByKeyword?word=ruger%20american%20classic

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/15/17.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Picked mine up today. Not too bad for the price. Looking forward to taking it to the range. If I really don't like the stock, I'll pony up and get a Boyd's... Thanks for letting me know these were available!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The magazine is pretty chintzy, but I like the very low profile muzzle thread protector.

I screwed on a Bowers Vers 458 Suppressor and it looks like read bad medicine for coyotes. grin

George

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ordered one today from Davidsons. That is the easiet way to go when you are in podunk MS like me.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The RAR stock to me is not friendly hard to shoot well compared to the Hawkeye stock. More noticeable from the bench than in the field.

The xtra weight of the Predator barrel helps a bunch, compared to the slimmer profile on the standard RAR, All said still very impressed with the RAR in LH.

Don't like the stock here's an option, mine shoot so well not messing with them.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchByKeyword?word=ruger%20american%20classic

I have installed 5 of the Boyds laminated Heritage style stocks on RAR-Predators and think that even though the stock adds a full 16 ounces to the weight of the rifle, the improvement in fit and balance more than offsets the additional weight as long as you're not climbing mountains with it. For the sort of spot and stalk or stand hunting that I mostly do, the RAR-P bedded in a laminated Boyds Heritage is a significant and noticeable upgrade to the low comb factory synthetic stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have installed 5 of the Boyds laminated Heritage style stocks on RAR-Predators and think that even though the stock adds a full 16 ounces to the weight of the rifle, the improvement in fit and balance more than offsets the additional weight as long as you're not climbing mountains with it. For the sort of spot and stalk or stand hunting that I mostly do, the RAR-P bedded in a laminated Boyds Heritage is a significant and noticeable upgrade to the low comb factory synthetic stock.

According to the web site, Boyd's doesn't offer the Heritage in left-hand for Rugers.

George

Last edited by GeorgeS; 09/17/17.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Kurt,
I havent picked mine up yet. Any hints for doing the trigger?
Randy

Google it and you will probably find lots on it. It is pretty simple to do. I could not get my trigger where I wanted it, until I replaced the spring. The one that was in mine was just, plain, too heavy. I happen to have some long springs that were out of an old paintball gun that my kids had, that were perfect. I just had to cut it to size. I got lucky and it is right under 3 pounds, now.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

According to the web site, Boyd's doesn't offer the Heritage in left-hand for Rugers.

George

I used the "Find A Stock" tool on the Boyds site before I posted this and they show the Classic, Heritage, Platinum, and Prairie Hunter styles as being available for the left-hand RAR-Predator.

www.boydsgunstocks.com

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had tried that and got results for left-hand stocks for right-hand actions:
  • 1 EA of 3ZB144D461ZZ Heritage Ruger American Centerfire Predator Left Hand Stock Right Hand Action Short Action Detachable Box Mag Factory Barrel Channel ZZ US
  • 1 EA of 3ZB144D461ZZ Heritage Ruger American Centerfire Predator Left Hand Stock Right Hand Action Short Action Detachable Box Mag Factory Barrel Channel ZZ US$144.00 Details

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what I saw as well . If you use the basic American Centerfire as the model instead of Predator they do show left hand stocks for a left hand short action with factory barrel. I don't own one to know for sure but it is my understanding that the Predator has a heavier barrel contour so I'm wondering if any wood needs to be removed from the barrel channel?

Added: Looking further they show the barrel channel width for standard Ruger American stocks at point A is 1 5/32" and point B is 23/32, for the Predator those dimensions are 1 1/64" (tighter at the action?) and 3/4" (24/32) out at the forend tip, so you wouldn't have to remove too much wood. The do make you go look elsewhere to find what point A and B refer to, that is under "How to select a gunstock" and then Barrel Channel Dimensions.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jim in Idaho; 09/17/17.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for that information, Jim.

I doubt I'll buy a Boyd's stock or any other unless the gun really has bedding issues that affect consistency.

George

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
I had tried that and got results for left-hand stocks for right-hand actions:
  • 1 EA of 3ZB144D461ZZ Heritage Ruger American Centerfire Predator Left Hand Stock Right Hand Action Short Action Detachable Box Mag Factory Barrel Channel ZZ US
  • 1 EA of 3ZB144D461ZZ Heritage Ruger American Centerfire Predator Left Hand Stock Right Hand Action Short Action Detachable Box Mag Factory Barrel Channel ZZ US$144.00 Details

I'd call them and get clarification. If they're inletting for left-handed actions with sporter/light contour barrels, there isn't any reason that they aren't doing the same for the heavier contour RAR-Predators.
It is very possible that they just haven't updated the available options across their tool.

605-996-5011.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't shot it yet (although I did just mount the scope) so I don;t know whether the factory stock needs replacement.

George

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
George-

What optic and ring height did you select? Since it seems comb height is an issue....it'd going to be imperative that I get my objective as close to the barrel as possible. I will most likely mount an SWFA 42mm scope....even though it seems the failure rate is currently through the roof. (jokes)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold PRW, medium height. This works perfectly for me.

GEorge

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I took the SWFA 6 X42 and its SWFA lo rings and put it on my LH 6.5 CM. would like it a little lower.

kk alaska

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
^^^ good stuff. I'll see if I can pull specs off their website KK.....still have an 1/8" gap? Or guesstimate???

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Roughly .20 " higher than I like. Kurt

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/18/17.

kk alaska

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.