Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
IMR 4350 is also hard to find, searched several stores in my area and finally found a pound at the area's largest gun show. It was the last that any of the reloading vendors had.

Third Generation Shooting Supply in Oklahoma has a good supply of IMR 4350 as of this morning.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CarlsenHighway,

Maybe you can confirm (or dis-confirm) what I was told by one of higher-ups in one of the corporations involved in the buying, selling and hence transporting of powders around the world.

The recent component "shortage" here in the U.S. was caused not by lower supplies of reloading components, but by high demand due to the possibility of Obama declaring who-knows-what about the purchase of guns and ammo. But demand was so high, my contact said, that the authorities in Auckland grew alarmed at so many more ships full of powder passing through their port on the way to the U.S., and ruled that no more than one powder-container ship could be in the harbor at one time. This created a bottleneck between Australia and the U.S. which made the shortage worse.

Now, maybe he didn't know what he was talking about, but since he's been employed by a major powder company for many years I don't know why he'd be confused. Since you're there, maybe you could find out something about this possibility.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John,

Each port interprets the regulations regarding the transiting of class 1 explosives through their port. Auckland in my experience is more "éxplosives aware" than others I know, even to the point of commissioning a study some time back to see what would happen if 18 tons worth of it went off. (Not good) This is because, unlike many other ports, the Auckland container terminals are not in an industrial area remote from the city, but is right in the heart of the CBD. In addition, vehicles that leave the port with hazardous goods must drive or rail right through the most built up and populous areas.

Auckland will indeed berth their vessels depending on whether they are carrying containers of class 1 explosives and will not want more than one ship alongside at one time. (They also used to work with the rule that explosives containers transiting used to have to come off and be taken to a remote part of the terminal, although I am not sure if they still do this every time.)

While this sounds like I am validating what you have been told, I must say that in reality this is not the issue it might sound like. Berthing arrangements for vessels are worked out in advance to avoid clashes like this - they are in the business of working ships after all - not delaying them. Also, this is not recent, Auckland have been handling this cargo this way for at least twenty years.

What you have been told is loosely based on truth concerning the way Port of Auckland handles their class 1 containers. Extrapolating, It is possible that Thales or ADI may not have shipped as many containers of product as they wanted to because of this.

Bear in mind, in the seafreight world it is standard practice for exporters to blame ports for shipment delays of all kinds, particularly ones in other countries. Also, not every ship from Australia to the US must go through Auckland, probably not even most of them.

Let me put it another way: No offense to your friend intended, but If Auckland Port was indeed a bottleneck greatly exacerbating the shortage of sporting powders in the USA, I am quite sure I could find a solution to that situation given the benefit only of a comfortable chair, the opportunity to take up smoking once more, and about 15 seconds worth of thought.

(Ironically enough, I went and bought some AR2209 only the day before.)

James

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 09/15/17.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
James,

Thanks very much for your info.

I do know that other factors were (and may still may be) involved in the shortage of ADI powders, though I can't discuss them on a public forum.

Good hunting,

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Found 8 lbs in a store. Gonna try it soon.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
local hdwe store has 7, 1pounders and a 8 pound jug

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bought a can while in the big town to the west yesterday.

Never used it before.....but there sure is a lot of talk about it! Figured I would try some.

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.