Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Funny thing as I happened to see a Cobra (only1 though) yesterday afternoon myself, First one I can recall seeing in many a year. Was waiting for a stop light to change to green and the Cobra was facing me on the opposite side waiting for it to change too. One male driving, and no passenger.

When the light changed to green I turned left, the Cobra turned to his left. Never saw what state the license plate was from. The car itself was painted either a flat black or a real dark grey primer and had a fairly large white circle and the number '55' inside the circle on the door of the side I could see as it was turning. No idea if it was a replica or an original. Weather here was mostly clear skies and around 80 degrees.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I haven't seen one in a while.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2
I happened to see a Cobra (only1 though) yesterday afternoon myself, One male driving, and no passenger.

How did that SAME guy get there so quick? Surely there can't be 2 Cobra guys that can't get chicks....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I happened to see a Cobra (only1 though) yesterday afternoon myself, One male driving, and no passenger.

How did that SAME guy get there so quick? Surely there can't be 2 Cobra guys that can't get chicks....

If he would paint the thing blue instead of leaving it primered he'd have all kinds of chicks wanting a ride..............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something wrong with a guy that has the $$$ to own a REAL Cobra, has a Cobra,
and cant get a woman.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

When I mentioned a "couple dozen" I was thinking of the full race 427 equipped AC Cobras. Shelby made more street versions of 427,428,, and 289 Cobras. Still, originals are too valuable to drive on long road trips, they all start at $250K and the race versions go for a few mil when they go up for auction.

The AC Cobras are the most popular of high end replicas today. Shelby had a couple dozen chassis left over and he sold those a few years ago. They aren't saying how much each chassis sold for but it was speculated to be around $500k for a rolling chassis. The challenge was finding an original aluminum body.............

The 427/428 are the best looking because the chassis was wider than the 289 chassis. There was also three different body tweaks to the fenders and front end.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by huntsman22

I always heard them old Cobra's were real fast. wink

Lots of small and big outdoor classic and custom car shows around here on weekends every summer.
My guess is that's were the Cobra I saw probably was headed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got to go to SilverStone Track and watch some of the AC Cobras Race
when I lived in Britain in my youth... a neighbor would take me and my brother.

Their family was friends with my family.. he was a sports reporter for one of the London
papers.... These were the British made Cobras.. I think they had Ford Engines...and right hand
drive.

The AC Cobra bodies were made in Bristol IIRC...in England.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a similar experience here in Missouri minus the snow. Was out around Owensville MO headed home from hunting out at a friends place with my younges son in tow. There were around a dozen of them and they were coming from the opposite direction. I see them coming and start yelling at my son, "look at all of them" and he thinks I see a flock of turkeys or something in the fields and starts looking all around. II yell at him and tells him to look forward and I say "listen to this". At which I turn down the radio and roll down the windows. He was floored by what he saw and then ask, "what where those beast dad" and I explain the whole Shelby thing to him. This happened last fall and I believe there is a Cobra club around there. VarmentGuy I'm with you, they made my day and then some. I also got to come out looking cool in the boys eye for knowing what they were but that lasted only a brief moment and then the rotten kid returned. Still it was a moment.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Last one i saw was 21/2 years ago while headed to Port A. Somewhere west of Marble Fall on a divided highway one had just lost control and gone into the median which was divided by those cables strung up between those little I-beam posts. It made quite an impression on me at the time but not nearly what it did to him. Iirc it was strung between the cables at a 45 degree tilt with the cables having cut up the car and driver pretty miserably.

Talk about going out in style.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a lot of replica Cobras on the highways.
Most of us have never seen a real one, on the highway.

The A/C bodies were made in England. "Hand hammered
by wino's in an alley" was how Carol Shelby described production.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Past GF'ds Father had an original 427 and I got to drive a replica a couple years back. Not a car to play with if you are not a player.

Impractical as hell, but what a ride....

Last edited by battue; 09/16/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember seeing Cobras race at Riverside International Raceway.
No one else seem to have a chance, It would be Cobra's one and two, Ferrari third and fourth, then everyone else.
Vets would try but were Behind by laps at races end.
This would have been 1960's
Friend has a Cobra 500HP kit car.

F
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
F
Buddy of mine owned a very hot 70's Arntz replica for a time in the 80's. Used to drag it at Kingdon here in NorKal. That's was the fastest car I ever rode in and can still picture the scenery flying by at 160+ a few times when we took it on a few road trips through some desolate stretches of Nevada's highways back in the late 80's.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I will take crap that never happened for $500

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And at a Shelby Get Together at yellow springs one time......the quickest around the track was.......the Shelby Dodge Omni!!!!

Yup.....and Shelby wanted the Chevy engine. Couldn't get it.

Bill Cosby....200 mph......funny. Great

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/16/17.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

When I mentioned a "couple dozen" I was thinking of the full race 427 equipped AC Cobras. Shelby made more street versions of 427,428,, and 289 Cobras. Still, originals are too valuable to drive on long road trips, they all start at $250K and the race versions go for a few mil when they go up for auction.

The AC Cobras are the most popular of high end replicas today. Shelby had a couple dozen chassis left over and he sold those a few years ago. They aren't saying how much each chassis sold for but it was speculated to be around $500k for a rolling chassis. The challenge was finding an original aluminum body.............

The 427/428 are the best looking because the chassis was wider than the 289 chassis. There was also three different body tweaks to the fenders and front end.

Casey

And there is an interesting story behind those "left over" chassis.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You slam shift a Cobra with full pedal on a dry road, it is going to break loose. Do it on slush and bad things are going to happen.

Last edited by battue; 09/16/17.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
You slam shift a Cobra will full pedal on a dry road, it is going to break loose. Do it on slush and bad things are going to happen.

Well 17 things can happen........none off them good.

Though with the original 260 it wasn't as bad.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/16/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 3,386 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.