Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I will be attending a local auction where both of these rifles will be available, they are both chambered for .22 LR. I have not yet been able to view them for condition however assuming both are similar which would you want? Initial internet searches show mostly good reviews for both. Obviously gun values are dependent on a myriad of factors but what would a ball-park fair market value for each? Thanks for any advice, I will be able to view them on Friday with auction to take place Sunday.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Depending on Condition..
Remington- $600 tops
Anschutz- $1,200 tops.

If there are any serious flaws in the guns then go down from there.
Bolts need to be serial numbered to the rifle and have magazines present.
Don't forget to look at the crowns and bores..

Last edited by jk16; 09/12/17.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I will buy ALL the Remington 541's I can find for $600.00 each ( Even the 541 T's have surpassed that price ) If it is in Pristine Condition you can figure $ 800-1000.00 as for the Annie the $$ are very close to their present day market value. Live Actions can be very unpredictable as it only takes two bidders to take the $$ into the Stratosphere.

GoodLuck

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hippy
I will buy ALL the Remington 541's I can find for $600.00 each ( Even the 541 T's have surpassed that price ) If it is in Pristine Condition you can figure $ 800-1000.00 as for the Annie the $$ are very close to their present day market value. Live Actions can be very unpredictable as it only takes two bidders to take the $$ into the Stratosphere.

GoodLuck

Jim

I don't agree in the values, but I do agree about the dynamics of auctions.. smile

The Rems are not that valuable unless NIB or if they have a high dollar scope in them.

Meanwhile, a new Annie 1700 series will set you back at least $1,800...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jk16
Depending on Condition..
Remington- $600 tops
Anschutz- $1,200 tops.

If there are any serious flaws in the guns then go down from there.
Bolts need to be serial numbered to the rifle and have magazines present.
Don't forget to look at the crowns and bores..

IF well-used, yeah - prices you quote might be close.. But a pristine 541S is a rather rare rifle and highly prized.. At 98%+ I would bet the "G" price might very well be reached..

FWIW I sold a very good (95%+) condition 541T a couple years ago and it fetched more than $600, and that was for bare rifle alone - no box, papers or tages..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You guys are dreaming..bare 541s just are not worth thst much..

NIB Stone cold mint? Yeah maybe a grand..
Used?
$600

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Chequamegon
. I have not yet been able to view them for condition however assuming both are similar which would you want?

For my actual use, I'd take the Anschutz. A 54 actioned Anschutz is a big step above a 541S. I've owed a couple 541's and several Anschutz rifles over the years.

Last edited by Timbo; 09/13/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Used?
$600

Really??

Check out this page, and note the BIDS (not just asking prices)..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=541&Sort=13

smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1422 that is technically a used rifle, but 98%. I also have 2 541-T's, one is 90+% and the other 80% (I have used this one off and on for the past 25 yrs in the squirrel woods). The 541 will shoot with the 1422, but the Anschutz is more pleasing to the eye and action is smoother. It also feels heavier although I have never actually weighed them. For some reason, I am more accurate with the 541 off hand in the woods so that is what I choose. Both are very nice rifles with the 1422 being more refined. This is just my opinion, but based on real life experiences.

CK
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Redneck

Used?
$600

Really??

Check out this page, and note the BIDS (not just asking prices)..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=541&Sort=13

smile smile

Actually LOOK at what is actually happening on that GB Page.
First of all out of the 15 or so guns listed, only two are 541-S , which is what the OP is talking about.

Second of those two, one has a starting of $850 which is meaningless because there are no bids on it.
For all you know that gun has set on Gunbroker the last year at thst asking price with no takers.

The only other m541s has one active bid of $515.. I bet that gun does not sell for much over $600.
If you posted a listing of actual SOLD listings with valid values, that might be instructive.

My advice to the OP was intended to give him good advice so he does not overpay. Not to encourage him to spend his money foolishly based on the delusional asking prices on Online auctions.

Last edited by jk16; 09/13/17.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
A used 541S in decent used condition might bring 700.00 a mint one about 900.00, mint with original box maybe 1100, I like 541s sporters but they are way over rated granted I have seen a few out of over 2 dozen that were fairly accurate, the rest of them were ok but nothing to write home about, I have also checked the bore and chambers on over a dozen of them and I can tell you most are less than perfect, rough bores with lots of tool marks, chambers with burrs from dull tooling, same for the crowns. I will bet if every 541s owner had a bore scope you would see several for sale. The Anschutz 1422 (54) is a much higher quality rifle and a better shooter most of the time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cznut
A used 541S in decent used condition might bring 700.00 a mint one about 900.00, mint with original box maybe 1100, I like 541s sporters but they are way over rated granted I have seen a few out of over 2 dozen that were fairly accurate, the rest of them were ok but nothing to write home about, I have also checked the bore and chambers on over a dozen of them and I can tell you most are less than perfect, rough bores with lots of tool marks, chambers with burrs from dull tooling, same for the crowns. I will bet if every 541s owner had a bore scope you would see several for sale. The Anschutz 1422 (54) is a much higher quality rifle and a better shooter most of the time.

My experiences exaclty...

But the market is what it is.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Please send me the contacts of all who are selling their Remington 541S for $600 or less - they are pretty much worthless and need to be disposed of properly and I'm just the person for the project laugh

Seriously the prices have been pretty high on 541S lately (on the auction sites and places like Cabela's - both places commanding premiums) and I have actually thought about selling mine but I must have two exceptions because they both can shoot alongside some pretty good .22s that I also have. They are notorious 1st shot poor and are sensitive to torque but the one I have is the only .22 that I own that can shoot almost ANY .22 ammo to the same POI and degree of accuracy (very strange I know!). They are also my favorite squirrel rifles as I tend to walk a lot and they are a pleasure to carry and I do most all of my shooting in the standing position.

That said I would take an Anschutz 54 (or even some 64s) over a 541S - overall quality is just better (can't stand that plastic!!!).

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 09/14/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This just proves prices vary depending on where you live. I've walked a lot of gun shows in S/E texas. Very few anschutz 54's and even fewer 541's. Supply and demand in action. Who would have thought it. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by cznut

For all the Nay-sayers that believe the 541's are NOT as accurate as the Anschutz 54 they are living under a ROCK--this is NOT a opinion but FACT

. In the Sporter Class of the BR-50 a 541's Owned by Wayne Larrick from Winchester VA held the record for a several years until the Sako P-94 Finfire's were introduced.
The Sako's had Jewell triggers available and MOST were ILLEGALLY Rechambered -easy to do with there slip fit bbl and bbl set back

The Annies were never in the running granted they are nice rifles smooth actions even today the indoor shoot in Va is won quite often by a 541's there are far more 54's Sporters competing at that shoot than Remingtons -also several Coopers that take their turn in winning (same price range as the Annies . -and the 40X Sporter's will definitely eat a 54 alive--
At 70 years old I have seen/owned/shot about all the accurate 22's made including 52 Sporters-Savage/Anschutz/1710, 40X Repeater, 541's & T's, K-22,(Mauser 201) , Sako P-72-78-94i Cooper 36/57 Kimber 82's- and have fired as much or not more rounds in the last 40 years as anyone if I had to rank them there are several that are more accurate than the Annies

I am sorry if I offend anyone with these Truths --Nuff Said
Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well..I bet if one delves into Mr Larricks rifle you will find gun was extensively modified.

Besides,that is ONE shooter in ONE game using ONE rifle..
Big deal.

The m541-s is just a sporter version of the m541 target guns.
I sure don't recall any of those rifles edging out Annies for National and World titles in competitions in the last 50 years;)
Which is undoubtedly why Remington no longer makes them.

Besides, you could take 10 new mint samples of m541 sporters and shoot them against 10 mint or nib CZ M 452 Americans and the CZs would shoot at LEAST as good out of the box and most likely better. Heck most 880 series New Haven Marlins would shoot as well.

The m541 series' ultimate value is to Remington evangelicals and collectors.

To shooters who deal in reality, not so much.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Well..I bet if one delves into Mr Larricks rifle you will find gun was extensively modified.

Besides,that is ONE shooter in ONE game using ONE rifle..
Big deal.

The m541-s is just a sporter version of the m541 target guns.
I sure don't recall any of those rifles edging out Annies for National and World titles in competitions in the last 50 years;)
Which is undoubtedly why Remington no longer makes them.

Besides, you could take 10 new mint samples of m541 sporters and shoot them against 10 mint or nib CZ M 452 Americans and the CZs would shoot at LEAST as good out of the box and most likely better. Heck most 880 series New Haven Marlins would shoot as well.

The m541 series' ultimate value is to Remington evangelicals and collectors.

To shooters who deal in reality, not so much.

I have to agree here, as I mentioned earlier I like 541s just fine but I do not think on average they will out perform a 54 sporter. Since you mentioned the Sako P94S I owned a sporter version of this rifle when they were first introduced and I can tell you it was one of the most accurate rimfire sporters I ever owned and it was 100% stock. I have a 541S that I would sell right now.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How much?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cznut: What are the particulars on the 541-S?
Price?
Condition?
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My two 54 sporters went down the road quick, 541's smoked them...freebore on the 54's is long to say the least. We shot ground squirrels with these rifles, N. Ca.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
742 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.