Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I picked one up on closeout on 270 and have to say I am very impressed. I have owned at least one rifle from every other maker, but I snubbed my nose at them for years due to the plastic, detachable magazine, and looks. Well, this rifle is a tool and a darn good one. I did a rattle -can paint job, replaced the recoil pad, and mounted a Leupold 2-7 in Talleys and that was it. No bedding, trigger replacement, or 100 other trick moves. All up the rifle weighs 7lbs 3 oz. and with a half turn of an adjustment screw the trigger breaks cleanly at 2.5 lbs. I have tried 150 Partitions, 150 Hornady SP, and 130 TTSX and got all the bullets to shoot sub MOA with no work up. Heck, I took some neck sized 150 Horn. loads from my Win FW just to get the scope zeroed and those shot right about .5 MOA! On my second range session my last group with 59.5g H4831 and the 130 TTSX was a literally one hole. My biggest dilemma now is whether to elk hunt this year with a 130 TTSX at 3000 FPS or a 150 Partition at 3000 (60g RL 26).

My only real complaint is that the pin holding the bolt stop in place is easy to lose, and I wish the magazine was ADL style - the narrow ejection port doesn't make this realistic. I want a 308 to play with next. Some of the other rifles in my safe should be darn concerned for they may be moving on....

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a fan also. I bought a used Tikka in 22-250 last year. I just had it cut down to 20" and threaded for my suppressor. It is a shoot'n SOB. I had another one though it had the tupperware stock, this one is wood. My buddy wanted it bad, so I sold it to him. It was a shooter also. Darn thing shoots as well as my custom. Wish it was a 12 twist or faster.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm a big fan too. The Tikka being all synthetic and for lack of a better term, efficient, has no soul...not like a wood and blue custom Mauser for instance.

But, load development consists of putting ammo in the rifle, they are a joy to handle ( at least in the lite or super light versions) and I can find no fault with them. I love my Superlight 223...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nearly "pulled the trigger" on one of Darrik's Creedmoors, but yielded to the siren call of something else, also a 6.5. That one's got a DM too, so my incessant whining about those will have to stop now, I suppose.....

or not!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm a big fan too. The Tikka being all synthetic and for lack of a better term, efficient, has no soul...not like a wood and blue custom Mauser for instance.

I hear you about the "soul". I have a couple other rifles with soul, but they trend towards staying home more and more lately. I guess I am getting more practical. This is one factory plastic stock that is stiff enough and has ergos to be acceptable to me.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am tired of "soul" with rifles. Some of mine have had too much of it over the years. For the money, I know of nothing equal to the Tikkas I have owned. You can spend much more and do worse.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Also, my then 13 YO daughter put her Tikka to a reliability test by pushing it muzzle first in the sand on a LONG crawling stalk. No round chambered so it tightly packed the barrel and bolt face with dirt. I mostly got the sand out with the tools we had available and no solvent, went to the range in hunting camp and shot a 1/2" group like that rifle always does.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 09/03/17. Reason: Grammar
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by ingwe

I hear you about the "soul". I have a couple other rifles with soul, but they trend towards staying home more and more lately. I guess I am getting more practical. This is one factory plastic stock that is stiff enough and has ergos to be acceptable to me.

Exactamundo...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My only complaints with the T3 is that it should have a three position safety and the loading port is too damn small to easily get a finger into to pop out loose brass or clear a misfeed. The upside is that they are incredibly consistent and accurate. My T3 in 308 is an unbelievable tack driver, much better than the operator, that's for sure.

I have very few rifle with "souls". The closest I have is a stainless 700 375HH in a B&C w/ iron sights. And she been seeing a regular rotation in the field during moose season, whenever it rains.

Eat moose, burn spruce
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pittu
My only complaints with the T3 is that it should have a three position safety and the loading port is too damn small to easily get a finger into to pop out loose brass or clear a misfeed.

When playing with it I found that it actually is a 3 position safety much like the CZ 550. Fully forward it locks the bolt. With the bolt open push forward on the safety and there is a middle position that lets you chamber a round and cycle the action but prevents the trigger from releasing. Give it a try.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, funny thing is that works on my 308 Superlite, but not my 223 SL. I have not tried it on my 260 yet.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pittu
My only complaints with the T3 is that it should have a three position safety and the loading port is too damn small to easily get a finger into to pop out loose brass or clear a misfeed. The upside is that they are incredibly consistent and accurate. My T3 in 308 is an unbelievable tack driver, much better than the operator, that's for sure.

I have very few rifle with "souls". The closest I have is a stainless 700 375HH in a B&C w/ iron sights. And she been seeing a regular rotation in the field during moose season, whenever it rains.

The T3x has a larger ejection port and metal bolt shroud. Costs a little more than a T3 though.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can live with the ejection port, but don't like the magazine. I'd prefer it to be staggered and flush fit. Never liked the way they carried in hand. Small complaint, but they are proven over and over.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Everyone I've talked to that has shot one, has said great things about them. And at the price? What's not to like.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am a huge Tikka fan, I am going to My local Cabelas tomorrow to buy another Superlite this time a 30-06, since i started shooting and hunting with Tikka rifles I have sold off almost all My other rifles as I never use them anymore. I do enjoy dressing My T3's up with machined bottom metal, stainless bolt shrouds and action screws......Hb

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Sako A7 Roughtech Big Game are on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $698.00

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a few. They have been my favorite for 20 years. Even before the T3.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wish we still had a Sportsmens.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
my first Tikka was a LH 595 Whitetail Hunter, 308. I wish I still had it. They were a true short action but were heavier than the T3 line.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I am tired of "soul" with rifles. Some of mine have had too much of it over the years. For the money, I know of nothing equal to the Tikkas I have owned. You can spend much more and do worse.

I shot my new 7mm rem mag superlite yesterday and was very happy with it. I've always liked the Tikka's and handled a bunch in the store and shot some buddies T3's and superlites. Finally took the plunge and am glad I did. I also like rifles with soul, but these are just tools. Sometimes I buy an older rifle with soul to fix it up and make it shoot better, but sometimes I like to buy a rifle and be able to shoot it right out of the box too... I have my eye on a nice pre 64 model 70 270 fwt that needs a stock. The LGS doesn't know what he has, so his price is way too low for me to walk away from that soulful rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.