Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
For those who have the newer Tacoma with 3.5L engines how does it compare with the 4.0L engines?
I was at a Toyota dealership to meet my wife as she had a nail in her sidewall. I took a look at the 2017 Tacomas and knew they had the 3.5L engines and I always wonder what folks think of this motor? Supposedly gets slightly better MPG. And then my daughter just told me today she wants a truck! lol.
I have the 2006 Tacoma SR5 and while it is good and I like the non payment now, I bought it used. It does need some things fixed...shocks/springs are going bad and they had a recall on the spring but I got this truck past the recall.
So what's the consensus of the 3.5L for those who have one, drove one or had a pard that has one?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go over here and read up a bit, join if you want.

www.tacomaworld.com

I have an 07 with the older engine and post some over there.

Based on my reading the new truck and engine get mixed reviews. But a lot of that is pissing contests between the groups who own both that want to argue, "mine is better than yours"

The newer engine runs at higher rpm's and drives much differently. The guys used to the older engines can't get used to that. But I think it is still a good truck that tows almost as much as the older truck. You just have to drive it differently.

FWIW I bought my Tacoma new 10 years and 182,000 miles ago. It has been the best truck I've ever owned, but is just too small anymore for a lot of what we do. About 16 months ago I bought a used F150 Supercrew 4X4. I could have traded the Tacoma and bought a new Ford or keep it and buy used. It was about the same out of pocket either way. I decided to keep the older Taco as a 3rd vehicle. It needs new tires soon. But other than that I'd drive it across the country tomorrow even with the miles on it. I'm expecting at least 300,000 and probably closer to 400,000 miles out of it before it needs any major work.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought a new 2017 Limited double cab 4x2. Towing capacity is 6800 pounds. I have a smallish camper I will be pulling it with. This is my first Tacoma, so cannot speak to the differences first hand. Seems to have plenty of power to me, and decent gas mileage....which is why I skipped over the Tundra. I can say I am a bit of a skeptic on the internal canister for an oil filter. Will be doing my first oil change here soon. I cannot fault the truck on anything just yet.

Not sure about the previous generations, but the 3.5 has a timing chain also. That was a selling point for me.

Last edited by Mink; 09/16/17.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're at low elevations the engine isn't that bad. With that said, mine came a quart low on transmission fluid, they've already had two TSB transmission updates to try and get it to shift properly, and it still sucks. Can't decide what gear it wants to be in, if there's any headwind it downshifts to 5th or even 4th (up high at elevation) and just stays there. Going up hills it thinks it has more power than it does and tries to go into 4th only to realize it can't do it, shifts down to 3rd, says I got this, goes back to 4th, can't do it, 3rd too easy, 4th... repeat repeat repeat. The TSB updates have helped that, but is still there. Even though it has more peak HP than before, it has less usable power. It makes 278 at 6000rpms (redline), but who really drives at redline? Makes its peak torque higher than before too. So if you want to drive it like a sports car and rev the hell out of it, it has good power. But it is a truck, I like to drive my trucks lower in RPMs, and down low it doesn't make [bleep] for power.

You can read a lot on TacomaWorld, but a better indicator is to go to the 4Runner forum (there's a link from TW) and see just how many people have ditched their 2016 and 2017 Tacomas already.

Supposedly the 3.5 is good, IF, you want to spend $800 for the tune that is talked about on TW. It improves HP, TQ, and the shifting issues the stock powertrain has. If you do buy one, have the dealership to a manual check of the transmission fluid, not with the Techstream, and make sure it has the most up to date TSB for the transmission. Supposedly there's another one coming, but that's been said by Toyota for months.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mink
Just bought a new 2017 Limited double cab 4x2. Towing capacity is 6800 pounds. I have a smallish camper I will be pulling it with. This is my first Tacoma, so cannot speak to the differences first hand. Seems to have plenty of power to me, and decent gas mileage....which is why I skipped over the Tundra. I can say I am a bit of a skeptic on the internal canister for an oil filter. Will be doing my first oil change here soon. I cannot fault the truck on anything just yet.

Not sure about the previous generations, but the 3.5 has a timing chain also. That was a selling point for me.

The 4.0 had a timing chain as well, Toyota has pretty much done away with timing belts.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a 2006 rode like a brick, wife didn't like it, so I got rid of it. Tried another in 2013-hated it. Got rid of it in 9 months. Now own a 2016 Chevy Colorado. I have 39,000 trouble free miles on it and love it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do they cost? With the price of the compacts, I don't know at anyone would pick one over a full sized truck anymore. Cheapest 4x4 on the lot these days is a 3/4 ton work truck. The compacts and 1/2 tons cost more. I suppose if it is a true off road machine, but a jeep is probably even better in that role. I think they look neat, but they don't make a lot of sense to me at today's prices.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's not always about price. Sometimes, you have limited garage space. Sometimes, it's about physical limitations. I got rid of a F2013 Ford F 250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke, with 18,000 miles. Knees got bad (need replaced), and I couldn't climb into it anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are tall.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Edmunds.com is doing a long term test on a '16 Tacoma with the 3.5. One of the editors did a write up on the engine here.

They're still putting miles on the truck but overall they don't seem to be highly impressed by the truck, especially after it puked shocks on a run in Death Valley.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by valad
For those who have the newer Tacoma with 3.5L engines how does it compare with the 4.0L engines?
I was at a Toyota dealership to meet my wife as she had a nail in her sidewall. I took a look at the 2017 Tacomas and knew they had the 3.5L engines and I always wonder what folks think of this motor? Supposedly gets slightly better MPG. And then my daughter just told me today she wants a truck! lol.
I have the 2006 Tacoma SR5 and while it is good and I like the non payment now, I bought it used. It does need some things fixed...shocks/springs are going bad and they had a recall on the spring but I got this truck past the recall.
So what's the consensus of the 3.5L for those who have one, drove one or had a pard that has one?

I was excited about the new models and was planning to find a Double Cab 4x4 with the 6spd manual, but I'm holding off on letting go of my 2011 4.0L model. Lots of folks on the forums are complaining about lack of torque and shifting issues with the automatics, and the manual models suffer from a very aggressive nanny-function computer issue regarding throttle response. It seems that the drive by wire throttle will only let you feed in so much additional throttle per second, in order to save fuel in daily driving. So even if you stomp it, you cannot get 100% throttle like you would with a cable, it takes too much time for the computer to feed in the increasing throttle. This does not combine well with a smaller displacement engine that depends on revs. It sounds like the tuners will figure this all out, but I don't like the idea of needing a tune on a new truck to make it perform the way it should from the factory. And I am still not a fan of the auto in my 4.0L model. It shifts like a lazy drunk. Great truck otherwise. After 5 Tacomas and 4Runners, my favorites are still the manual transmission models. If I had to buy another today, it would probably be a 4.0L with a manual 6spd, otherwise I'd be looking at a different manufacturer.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I loved my '97 Tacoma, it was small, quick, nimble, tough, plenty of power even with the small 4 banger, reliable and cheap, cheap, cheap to operate. I typically put 35,000 miles per year on a truck, so operating costs and depreciation matter.

My 2009 Tacoma is a dog. It's too big, too slow, too clumsy, and behind the retarded 4 speed auto the 4 banger has half the power it needs. It's a gear hunting POS. It feels like driving a '70s era land-yacht. Bleh.

It's still reliable but fuel economy is way lower. Other operating costs and depreciation are still cheap, cheap, but it's a drag to drive. Sounds like the new models are more of the same. Bleh.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500
What do they cost? With the price of the compacts, I don't know at anyone would pick one over a full sized truck anymore. Cheapest 4x4 on the lot these days is a 3/4 ton work truck. The compacts and 1/2 tons cost more. I suppose if it is a true off road machine, but a jeep is probably even better in that role. I think they look neat, but they don't make a lot of sense to me at today's prices.

Because the Tacoma will give you 275,000 miles vs the full sized that generally wont at the same price point.

And around here - a 4 door Taco with the usual bells and options is still bit cheaper than a full sized, comparably equipped truck.

Silverado Z71 4 door will run 39k before TTL. (a 3/4 ton work truck, gas, 4wd is 41k)
Tacoma 4 door SR5 is 34k

Wanna bet which one will cost more over the life of the truck in maintenance?

Me

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by carlm
I had a 2006 rode like a brick, wife didn't like it, so I got rid of it. Tried another in 2013-hated it. Got rid of it in 9 months. Now own a 2016 Chevy Colorado. I have 39,000 trouble free miles on it and love it.

Well to be fair, the tacos are off road capable vehicles, the Colorado is a minivans with a bed..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WRO

Well to be fair, the tacos are off road capable vehicles, the Colorado is a minivans with a bed..

Pretty spot on and one will get 1/2 the wear of a Tacoma.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I wanted an off road vehicle, I'd get a real one (had an '09)- a Jeep Rubicon. For the 3% of the time the vehicle will be used off road, not worth the shortcomings the other 97% of the time. Since I haven't put in a dime into my Colorado yet, other than oil changes and tire rotation, I don't see the Taco lasting twice as long, not that it matters. A mini van with a truck bed suits this old man just fine. I'm not concerned with trying to milk 300k out of some old turd. I have owned 30. brand new cars so far, and can get another whenever I want.

Last edited by carlm; 09/20/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not that it matters.

It doesn't?

I could go to the dealer tomorrow and write a check for 10 new trucks if I wanted to.

I don't want to.

I have way, WAY, better things to spend my money on than a truck, let alone one that drops like a rock in value as it falls apart as soon as the warranty is done.

My current Tacoma has 175,000 miles on it, no repairs, one set of brake pads. Don't expect any repairs this side of 250. You'll have bought three more new trucks by then.

It matters. It matters a LOT.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do taco threads always turn into a d*** measuring contest?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I buy three more new trucks, it will be because I wanted to, not because I needed to. Never takes long for the Taco fanboys to rear their ugly heads. The only good thing about a Taco is they hold their value well due to the undeserved hype. They have to justify getting boned in the butt on those POS's. Google is your friend fool. Check out the smog pump noise, the six hour noise, terrible leg room, the non-locking tailgate fix using a hose clamp, the poorly designed bed rails that cause it to leak like a sieve when you install a cap, a child like navigation system, and the ridiculous price for what you get. It is LONG overdue for a re-design. Tacos are like Remington rifles, the old ones were good (mid to late 1980's) and they've been living on a myth since.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most of these Taco posts are about the OLD ones, not the new Gen 3 with the POS 3.5 engine and [bleep] up transmission.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I'm 6'5", and you are telling me the Taco has a leg room problem.

Really? That's what you got?

Second to last GMC I bought we had to drop a rebuilt motor in at 130K because #6 cylinder was shot. Of course, I bought it for only 3K, so it wasn't a significant economic loss. The last one I bought has under 200K on it and the doors won't close, EVERYTHING in the front end suspension is shot to hell, and the transmission is hinkey. Oh, well, I bought it for $500, so it'll do as a feed truck on the farm. The equivalent mileage and age Taco will be worth roughly 50% of it's new value. Yes, it matters. It matters about $15K.

So, I'll give you your pump noise (LOL!!!!!) for a blown GMC engine. Which is why Chevy's drop in value like they do. It's where GM gets that slogan "Like a Rock". That's how they drop in value.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have had 3 second generation Tacomas and they were all pretty good I now have a 2015 Limited. I think the 3rd generations have some problems to be ironed out...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's why TRD is one letter short of TURD. Try buying a new truck and taking care of it.

Last edited by carlm; 09/21/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I talked to guy the other day that had just sold his 09 model 2nd Gen 4wd Double Cab and bought a new model. He had 340k on the older one. When I asked about how he liked the new one, the first thing he said was that he kind of missed the drivetrain of the old one, but the rest of the new truck was great. So it does sound like Toyota kind of missed the mark a bit on the 3rd Gens.

With regards to Tacomas in general, it's commonly known that they give up a lot in terms of features and power when it comes to a domestic full-size of a similar price. People buy them because they are more of a "get it and forget it" purchase, reliable and consistent, requiring little maintenance, until you go to sell it with a ton of miles on it and still get good money for it. That's where their value is. I also drive one because I can work from it, actually drive it off road, and I don't bury it up in every soft spot. My 6,000lb F150 was not so good at that. My hunting season UTV is the $500 stack of mud tires in my garage that I'll swap back on in a few weeks. But that is just what works for me and my current needs/budget, everybody is free to buy what works for them......

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Why are you posting on this anyway? You don't own one why just come on and insult people? Grow the Phugg up Jerkoff.

Ridgeline is even more of a car then the Canyon/Colorado LMFAO. You are really citing a very reliable source USNEWS LMFAO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They list the Chevy's reliability higher than the Taco.......

I'm friggen rolling, thanks for the humor.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate Chevy's but I have a friend that recently turned 300,000 on his 6.0 Chevy truck!

Hard to say some of them aren't decent.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WRO

You're forgetting something.

For 2017 Chevy introduced the Colorado ZR2

Click Here

[Linked Image]

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by WRO

Click Here

[Linked Image]

Looks like a used tampon with mud tires.:)

Lets see how they work in 5 years, then I'm game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WRO
Originally Posted by WRO

Click Here

[Linked Image]

Yup, used tampon with both front and rear differential lockers and a choice of gas or diesel engines. That would make it the only midsize truck with both front and rear lockers from the factory.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WRO
Originally Posted by WRO

Click Here

[Linked Image]

Yup, used tampon with both front and rear differential lockers and a choice of gas or diesel engines. That would make it the only midsize truck with both front and rear lockers from the factory.

Built with crap components and Crap QC in Mexico by a company that still owes US taxpayers 10 billion dollars. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Built with crap components and Crap QC in Mexico by a company that still owes US taxpayers 10 billion dollars. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Missouri is part of Mexico? Who knew.

And just an fyi, GM paid back all of their LOANS. The stock loss was entirely an Obama & Company deal. At least put the blame where it belongs, unless, of course, you're just trying to cast aspersions at GM as your main goal.

You know, we get it. You hate GM and love Toyota. But at least try and come up with some actual facts to back up your claims. Your current blathering gets you no where.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WRO

Click Here

[Linked Image]

Nothing against the fine folks at GM's marketing department but my crown vic would go through that same mud puddle with ease. That thing's been most impressive for a land yacht. It's the LSD most likely and the weight but I've been surprised at it.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But, but, but, but........ there's MUD in the picture! It's splashing and everything. It might even be getting on the paint!

Hey, I have nothing against GM's, I own three of them at the moment, including a two ton and the afore mentioned half ton feed truck. The only problem I have with them is they just don't hold up. Wonderful grocery getters for someone that drivers 8 or 10,000 miles per year. Cushy, shiney, posh, and lots of cup holders.

Put 40K a year on a truck like I do with a good load on, and let's talk in four years.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

And just an fyi, GM paid back all of their LOANS. The stock loss was entirely an Obama & Company deal. At least put the blame where it belongs, unless, of course, you're just trying to cast aspersions at GM as your main goal.

You know, we get it. You hate GM and love Toyota. But at least try and come up with some actual facts to back up your claims. Your current blathering gets you no where.

Assembled in Missouri.

Wentzville, Missouri, United States, Rayong, Thailand, São José dos Campos, Brazil, Shreveport, Louisiana. LMFAO. 10 Billion is still 10 billion and GM was unable to raise their stock prices, they got themselves into a mess and the taxpayer had to bail them out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Assembled in Missouri.

Wentzville, Missouri, United States, Rayong, Thailand, São José dos Campos, Brazil, Shreveport, Louisiana. LMFAO. 10 Billion is still 10 billion and GM was unable to raise their stock prices, they got themselves into a mess and the taxpayer had to bail them out.
Originally Posted by Dutch
But, but, but, but........ there's MUD in the picture! It's splashing and everything. It might even be getting on the paint!

Hey, I have nothing against GM's, I own three of them at the moment, including a two ton and the afore mentioned half ton feed truck. The only problem I have with them is they just don't hold up. Wonderful grocery getters for someone that drivers 8 or 10,000 miles per year. Cushy, shiney, posh, and lots of cup holders.

Put 40K a year on a truck like I do with a good load on, and let's talk in four years.

You will hear Crickets from Walt .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I guess time will tell. The Colorado came out in what, 2012, then they stopped production, and started again in 2015, so it can't have the history of the Taco. I have a friend who canyoneers and drives a lot. What I really wanted to buy in '13 was a Ford Ranger which a number of people in the sport used and they really held up well, but Ford discontinued it in 2012. My dealer told me the F150 got near the same mileage, so they dropped it.. I owned 3 new F150 King ranches around that time. The only GM I owned around then (after GM took the loan) was a 2008 Trailblazer with a 5.2L engine. The quality, fit and finish did not justify the price, so I went to Fords.
When the Ranger was no longer available, in 2013, I tried another Taco to see if it had improved since my '07. It didn't. In 2015 ('16'were out), I figured I'd
look again. The dealer I went to was a GM and Toyota dealer, so I drove them both right there. I liked the look of the Taco (more sporty), but the performance was simply unacceptable to me. My wife liked the orange color. I told her for +5K I could put a supercharger in it (it was available in '13). I was going to do that but found out the supercharger had been discontinued, so I bought the Chevy. The stock performance was much better than the stock Taco. It was better but nothing to write home about. Just like the government telling us how much water our toilets can use, that we must use curly light bulbs, that our washing machines can't have a user settable water level they exacted a price for those energy efficient appliance subsidies. There is nothing for nothing when it comes to the government. The price for those auto industry bailouts and cash for clunkers were a promise to acheive unrelalistic mileage goals, spawning the "learn down feature," aluminum truck beds, and TPMS. $311 and a trip to a tuner took care of the learn down, and my Colorado is almost as fun to drive as the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with it's 5.7 Hemi engine I traded in. It was the one with the electronic shifter, which I disliked from day 1-the one that killed that Hollywood guy when his own Jeep ran him over. I found out about the recall 2 weeks before it went public so I dumped it before I lost even more. It was a year old and had 52K on it so I got whacked for it being a high miler anyway. The choices in small trucks are limited. The Ford Ranger-gone, the Dodge Dakota-gone (good riddance, had a1992 got rid if it before it could be a problem). So, we have the Taco, the re-introduced Colorado, and the Nissan Frontier. You pay you money and take your chances.

Last edited by carlm; 09/21/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Most of these Taco posts are about the OLD ones, not the new Gen 3 with the POS 3.5 engine and [bleep] up transmission.

That about sums it up...^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WRO
Originally Posted by WRO

Click Here

[Linked Image]

I've taken my taco places that would turn your butthole inside out with nary a need for a locker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's junk,
the 'ota fan boys said so.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the older Tacomas, but this new 3.5 seems to have a fair share of issues.
Another strange issue for me is the rear seat on the crew cab. I have 3 labs that I like to haul around and the Tacoma seats fold down, making the rear area really high for my older dogs to jump in.
I looked at 2018 Tundras today and the rear area is much better for dog hauling duties.
I really don't need the size of a Tundra, or the poor mileage, but for under 40K, the SR5 Tundra looks like a better deal. They had a new-left over 4.6L double cab 4WD Tundra for 32.9K. It was "stripped". Power windows, power door locks, back up camera, cruise, tilt wheel, AC, blue tooth radio. They also had a "stripped" 4WD 2018 with the 5.7L for 36K. For the money those "stripped" Tundras look better than the mid 30K Tacomas. Both have disadvantages to me, so my cherry gen1 Tundra and 2014 Outback look pretty good for my needs. I just wish i had one, do it all vehicle. (my access cab tundra is too small for the dogs).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Unless someone needs the larger cab a Tacoma makes a lot of sense for many people. Even with the new 3.5 engine the Tacoma will tow 85-90% of what you can tow with a typical 1/2 ton. And they will tow MORE than a lot of 1/2 tons. You CAN get a 1/2 ton that will tow and haul a lot more than a Tacoma, but most of them on the road won't beat one by much.

The money savings don't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. You'll only save $3K-$5K initially, but the long term repair costs will almost certainly be less. Other than fluids, tires, brakes, and batteries an alternator is the only repair I've paid for.

I've heard of more issues with the newer trucks, but traditionally Toyota takes care of their customers. I've had my 07 for 182,000 miles and Toyota is still replacing leaf springs for me on their dime. Nothing wrong with the ones I have but they are making things right at no cost to me just in case. They are better than average about things like this. I've read of multiple situations where Toyota worked with folks on repairs out of warranty at reduced or no cost. They replaced a leaking rear window on mine at no cost even though it was 4,000 miles over the warranty period.

Fuel mileage may not seem huge, but over 182,000 miles the 2-3 additional MPG adds up. My Tacoma averages about 17-18 mpg overall. My F-150 about 14-15 mpg. At that rate I've saved 2300 gallons of gas. If the average price of gas over the 10 years was $2.25 that is over $5100 saved in fuel.

But if someone NEEDS the room the Tacoma simply won't work. I didn't buy one until my youngest moved out and I no longer needed that extra room. But that was 10 years ago. I now have 3 grand kids and need more room again.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You must be referring to the Tacoma then, as Toyota is expanding their Mexican production of the truck. LOL!

Toyota will invest US $150 million at its Baja California plant in order to increase output of its Tacoma pickup truck from the current level of about 100,000 units a year to 160,000.

Automotive News said the truck’s dominance of the midsize pickup market in the U.S. — which has grown 21% this year — is being challenged by General Motors and and other makes.

The Tacoma’s share of the market has slid from 51 to 43% and the Tijuana investment is designed to recapture some of that share, which the company says has been lost due to low inventory.

The plant, where a third shift was added in April last year, is stretched to the limit, running 24 hours a day Monday through Friday.

The expansion will create about 400 new jobs, the company said.

Click Here

So all those Mexican Tacoma's will be built with "crap components" and "crap quality control"? Your words, not mine.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You must be referring to the Tacoma then, as Toyota is expanding their Mexican production of the truck. LOL!

Toyota will invest US $150 million at its Baja California plant in order to increase output of its Tacoma pickup truck from the current level of about 100,000 units a year to 160,000.

Automotive News said the truck’s dominance of the midsize pickup market in the U.S. — which has grown 21% this year — is being challenged by General Motors and and other makes.

The Tacoma’s share of the market has slid from 51 to 43% and the Tijuana investment is designed to recapture some of that share, which the company says has been lost due to low inventory.

The plant, where a third shift was added in April last year, is stretched to the limit, running 24 hours a day Monday through Friday.

The expansion will create about 400 new jobs, the company said.

Click Here

So all those Mexican Tacoma's will be built with "crap components" and "crap quality control"? Your words, not mine.

Designed in Michigan believe it or not

A North American Story
Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) in San Antonio and Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC) in Baja California, Mexico. Both facilities play a major role in carrying on Tacoma’s legendary reputation for quality, durability and reliability (QDR), which has been instrumental in establishing its segment-leading owner loyalty rating. It’s QDR has also helped establish Tacoma as the highest rated vehicle in its class in resale value for the past 10 years according to Kelley Blue Book.

Get your Facts straight Azzhole. Why don't you comment on something you actually know about. It's great knowing that Toyota is the # 1 manufacturer in the world isn[t it ? Ford , GM and Chrysler can't even begin to have the same offerings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
\.

The money savings don't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. You'll only save $3K-$5K initially, but the long term repair costs will almost certainly be less. Other than fluids, tires, brakes, and batteries an alternator is the only repair I've paid for.

Fuel mileage may not seem huge, but over 182,000 miles the 2-3 additional MPG adds up. My Tacoma averages about 17-18 mpg overall. My F-150 about 14-15 mpg. At that rate I've saved 2300 gallons of gas. If the average price of gas over the 10 years was $2.25 that is over $5100 saved in fuel.

There seems to be a disconnect between people that have driven Taco's and those that have only driven domestic trucks. Once you take a vehicle beyond 300K with nothing but oil, filters, brakes, the definition of "routine maintenance" changes. It does NOT include water pumps, alternators, transmissions, exhausts, control switches on the steering column, etc, etc, etc. And brakes don't get changed until after 100K.

Even routine maintenance is cheaper, Less oil, much cheaper tires, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dodge Cummins dearly; but it wasn't an inexpensive truck to operate. The difference in cost per mile? I wouldn't be surprised it it was half.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by JMR40
\.

There seems to be a disconnect between people that have driven Taco's and those that have only driven domestic trucks. Once you take a vehicle beyond 300K with nothing but oil, filters, brakes, the definition of "routine maintenance" changes. It does NOT include water pumps, alternators, transmissions, exhausts, control switches on the steering column, etc, etc, etc. And brakes don't get changed until after 100K.

Even routine maintenance is cheaper, Less oil, much cheaper tires, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dodge Cummins dearly; but it wasn't an inexpensive truck to operate. The difference in cost per mile? I wouldn't be surprised it it was half.

I always used to tell people - Take a million mile Peterbilt for a ride. Now take a million mile Freightliner for a ride. Does it feel the same? Not hardly. Both went 1 million miles tho. I suspect it's the same for Tacoma vs others as well.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mexican Tacos, too funny.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had 1/2 ton chevys and a dodge, if memory serves had a little over a hundred on my last chevy, and around 140 on my dodge when I sold it. They were both pretty good trucks but don't compare to my current '12 tacoma with 125K as far as repair and maintainence costs along the way. I'm about to replace the shocks only because of the mileage and as for right now I plan on keeping it another 3-4 years if it holds up. I tow the occasional utility trailer with an ATV with no problem but I do know it's back there (not so with my larger trucks). Bought the tacoma because I knew I would be putting on more miles and got tired of taking a beating on resale of "the big 3" (or 2 in my case). There are times, very few, when I would like more room in bed and cab. When it's time for this one to go, if I go full size again it might have to be a tundra..... or another taco, we'll see. Have to make it that far myself first.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I spoke with an 84 year old gentleman in the V A hospital. He told me he has owned 19 Toyota pickups.
He loved them.
I am thinking about getting a Tacoma but my new lady friend drives a Tundra.
Tough decision. I rarely haul a trailer so I am leaning towards the Tacoma.
My 2003 F150 has been good to me though.
It has a manual transmission and those were hard to find even back in 2003.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
90% of the time I don't use my truck for what a truck is for, but it's my daily driver. As a daily driver, parking, maneuvering, etc the size of the tacoma is nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.