Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 79 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 78 79
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
we were smoked out this morning; if not too hot this afternoon we'll get out for a few

this should be the end of our summer from hell, cold front rolls in this evening and tomorrow supposedly with pretty significant precipitation, including wet snow higher- I sure hope so

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tiny E and I got 4 miles in after work- it cooled 11 degrees in an hour- come on cold front!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtwarden
^ ahhhh, but that's exactly why we workout smile

started the Wendler program today; realistically I'm only going to be lifting twice a week (vs the 3-4 they suggest) so I've combined the bench and squats done today and then deads and overhead presses next workout

in addition to the bench and squats, pull-ups 2x12, chin-ups 2x12, core

I'll be following your progress on this. I focused on strength last winter/spring with Starting Strength plan and paid for it doing cardio this summer. never really got it built up like I expected. Lots of missed workouts didn't help but I still expected better results.

Going forward I'm going to work on runs/bike 3-4 times a week for the next two months then switch to SS 3x and runs 2x a week.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
to be honest I don't expect giant gains, but that isn't why I'm doing it either-more so that it uses "big" multi-joint lifts and allows you to add in others; my biggest focus will continue to be trail running/hiking

BUT if my squats, bench, deads, press all bump up a little, that's OK too laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, giant gains won't be expected but I liked where I was early 2016 when I did the combination of both. I felt I had a good mix of strength and cardio. Last years experiment was based on a SS trainer trainee suggestion of just focus on strength and have the cardio follow. I didn't like how I felt at the end of the cycle and it took time to get comfortable with the bike and running. Probably due to more mass to move as I put on 25+ lbs and have whittled that down some since.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ahhh- yeah that doesn't sound like the best plan if cardio is going to be part of the equation; Wendler- far from a "cardio guy", even advocates some running- hill repeats, etc on days off

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Still going. Had to pull back a bit on Overhead press. I made a couple of heavy lifts with poor form, which got my left deltoid hurting. To make it worse I figured I could shake it off with some high volume push presses. They didn't help a bit. Had the wife massage it a couple times a day with a rolling pin and I did a lot of stretching. Also dropped my weight down in both the overhead and bench. Lazer focus on my form and laid off any explosive moves like push press and power thrusts. Its starting to get better.

Really hitting conditioning with Tabata work outs. Last night I did box jumps, kettle bell squats, kettle bell swings, sledge hammer swings, and one arm kettle bell swings for a cycle then rested 30 seconds before repeating the same exercises for five cycles. I was a puddle of sweat and my heart was pounding as I was gasping for air. Gave myself a 20 minutes rest then put on my pack loaded up with 60 lbs and humped up and down the hill on my place for 30 minutes.

Tonight its back to my basement for dead lifts. Followed by five sets of five reps of lighter dead lifts with 10 burpees after each set. Well...to be honest my burpees are more of a sweaty fat guy dropping down on the floor then getting back to standing as fast as I can, which really starts looking more and more pathetic as I go along.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
40 mile ride, big climbs, 40+ mph descents, awesome!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
just wanted say that we've got about an inch of rain over the last 24 hours with very cool temps, with more to come- higher elevations are getting snow; this should be the end of the summer from hell!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Got up early hoping to dodge the rain showers. Stars and moon at 6:20 and ready to glass at 6:30 but the clouds rolled in at 6:40, too thick to see 50 yds. I was hoping it would break and give me a chance, it was raining off and on but when the sleet started at 8:45 I called it. Turned into a nice 5.6 mile, 2400' vert hike and at my desk by 10:30.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saves on vacation time......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tiny E and I braved the rain/wet snow for 4 miles this evening- this should be the end to fire season (fingers crossed)

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lordy, I hope so! Send some of that snow westward will you please? We need it here in Washington's Cascades. Oregon could use a good dousing of rain or a snowstorm too.

Seems much of the west is on fire! Again, doggone it.

Glad you got out on a hike. Hiking is a terrific way to prepare for hunting season - as that's what we do when we hunt the big country - we hike. A lot.

Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rain inbound! Always good news in late summer, this year especially so.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tiny E and I got 5.5 tough miles in this morning- a little bit of snow and then as we climbed higher, quite a bit of snow smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cool.

Literally.

Send some westward will you please? Washington & Oregon could use it too...

Guy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
would love to smile Helena went 63 days without any measurable precip this summer hell- we've gotten just shy of 2" in 48 hours and does it ever feel good!

Sadly the Northwest corner of our state hasn't gotten the moisture the rest of the state has, they desperately need it as well frown

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
strength train this morning- Wendler deadlifts and standing press and 2x50 yds weighted lunges, 2x25 dips and core

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of those Jeff-days yesterday that's hard to quantify but I wake up stiff & sore the next day... just a whole lot of liftin' and carryin' and holdin' stuff at awkward angles while I hammer it and so on.

After this rain squall moves through (yay!) I have to repair my shop roof... tree fell on it... will involve replacing at least 3-4 sheets of ply, won't really know until I start peeling it back. That'll be a workout. How do you quantify carrying full sheets of plywood up a ladder? smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
How do you quantify carrying full sheets of plywood up a ladder? smile

I'd say, three sets of 10-12 reps each, or until muscle failure.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 62 of 79 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,564
Posts18,453,755
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.