Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
And then there was the "Billet" Cobra made in Europe on a CNC.

One off

Actually, the billet Cobra was produced by Kirkham Motorsports and Cobras in Utah. They actually made two of them- one sold to the owner of Oracle and I don't recall what happened to the second one. A truly remarkable and structurally strong piece of engineering. The Kirkhams put out a book on the production of the car which shows almost all of the pieces as produced and the assembled product and structural results. Worth a read if you have any interest in these cars..

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sheister

One off

Actually, the billet Cobra was produced by Kirkham Motorsports and Cobras in Utah. They actually made two of them- one sold to the owner of Oracle and I don't recall what happened to the second one. A truly remarkable and structurally strong piece of engineering. The Kirkhams put out a book on the production of the car which shows almost all of the pieces as produced and the assembled product and structural results. Worth a read if you have any interest in these cars..

Bob

Didn't know about the second one. Thanks.

Practical Machinist had a big thread on it.

I posted in it. Didn't remember that. 2009.

One addition of the book was $4500?? Something crazy.

The covers were machined aluminum

And Kirkham did post in that thread.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/16/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
VarmitGuy: I liked your story and never doubted its veracity. I was puzzled why some called bullsh*t, so I called the number of the gas station you posted and spoke with Greg. He confirmed your story and said they were headed to Sun Valley (I believe. There was some background noise.)

Those cars are amazing even if they aren't originals. We have a group of folks in my town that have some and I see them out occasionally. Whoever said that the people who own them drive them is correct. While my reaction isn't as visceral as yours, it is fun to see and hear a group of them. Thanks for the good story. -tnscouter

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There... Suck It!

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Didja ask the grease monkey about the "blizzard" that the National Weather Service somehow managed to miss completely?

Cause the NWS don't show *any* snow, at all, in Wisdom, MT on Friday.

Bullshit story.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Closest I found easy was Dillon,
Events, 09/15/2017, fog, rain, snow.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...qdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One off

Bob

He poster the $4500 book on line so folks could see the work. Kool idea.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
From LH's link:

Snow
Snow 0.00 in - - ()
Snow Depth 0.00 in

Wisdom data says the same thing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Just to correct one poster above- the top seller of kit cobras is "Factory Five". No, they aren't build on a Fox body mustang chassis. You take the engine, drive train, radiator, fuel tank, and other usable parts and junk the rest of the car and put them in the Factory Five supplied chassis. However, now their kits support the Fox body and all modern mustang parts, multiple engine and drivetrain platforms, and all new parts if you prefer to go that way. And that is only one of literally dozens of kit manufacturers.

Bob

You're correct, my bad. I have an acquaintance who builds Cobras for clients from Factory Five kits, I should've remembered they supply a tube chassis.

Csey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

speaking of....remember those battery vroom motors you could put on your bike?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 700LH
Closest I found easy was Dillon,
Events, 09/15/2017, fog, rain, snow.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...qdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

According to this LINK, conditions at Dillon at around 10.30 am were snow and fog, visibility about 800 m (1/2 mile). By 11.24 conditions were heavy snow, visibility down to 400 m (1/4 mile).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Didja ask the grease monkey about the "blizzard" that the National Weather Service somehow managed to miss completely?

Cause the NWS don't show *any* snow, at all, in Wisdom, MT on Friday.

Bullshit story.

Fubarski: Where I come from it's up to the person calling bullsh*t to debunk a story. But your vitriolic responses and the coolness of the story, coupled with my doing nothing but watching college football, going through some papers, and perusing the fire led me to call. Once it was confirmed that the cars were there you then shifted to calling bs on the weather. Maybe you have history with VarmintGuy and that's what is driving your responses, but I felt a little derision in your question of me so I decided to find out what the weather was in Wisdom.

I called Greg (the fellow you call "grease monkey") back at Big Hole Petroleum but the phone just rang so I decided to call a business that should be open at night. I called the Nez Perce Motel in Wisdom and spoke with a gentleman named Blake whose wife Brenda owns the motel. He confirmed that the weather had gone from the eighties / seventies during the week and that everyone was caught off guard by the weather the other day. He said the temp was in the mid-twenties and the high hit 32 later in the day. He said they had a few inches of snow which was very wet, heavy, and thick in the air. Apparently VarmintGuy's story is not so outlandish after all.

Written communications are difficult because nuances are absent and it is easy to misinterpret intent. I'm sure you meant nothing my way and I mean nothing yours. In fact I'm glad you asked the question because it led me to speaking with Blake for about fifteen minutes. My father was born and raised in Wolf Point so I've always had a fascination with Montana and hope to visit that area and learn more about him and his past. Blake's stories and kindness increased that fascination and reminded me of the basic goodness in people, so for that I thank you.

Anything else in VarmintGuy's story that might be suspect I will chalk up to literary license which led to a cool story about some really cool cars, and for that I thank him. -tnscouter

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Heavy snow, but no snow?

Here's Wisdom, MT's results. Too warm and no snow:

Weather History for Wisdom, MT [KMTWISDO2]
View Next Previous
Summary
September 15, 2017
High Low Average
Temperature 38.7 °F 33.1 °F 35.9 °F
Dew Point 38.5 °F 29.8 °F 36.5 °F
Humidity 99% 97% 98%
Precipitation 0.11 in -- --
High Low Average
Wind Speed 21 mph -- 3 mph
Wind Gust 22 mph -- --
Wind Direction -- -- SSW
Pressure 30.03 in 29.88 in --
Graphs Table

But at least we know Bullshitguy's name, and that he works at a convenience store, so there is that.

https://www.wunderground.com/person...ISDO2#history/s20170915/e20170915/mdaily

Last edited by Fubarski; 09/16/17. Reason: Link
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My nuance, is that he's full of [bleep].

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back in the 80s a kid here in small town Nebraska lost his father in a plane crash and received a very large sum of money plus a bunch of farm ground...his dad was a ford guy and had a real Shelby mustang....since my buddy was a mustang guy we thought we would check it out and see if it could be bought...when we got there this kid .....17 years old was building a cobra kit car...not a real big deal but the amazing thing is he had found and bought a genuine 427 Side oiler for it.....as I understand it was the motor used for the racing version cobra.....don't remember what he said he paid for it for sure but was more money than the kit car...can you imagine a 17 year old kid with that .....I don't know that it ever got finished as I have never seen it on the road....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BTW....I rode a motorcycle through that very stretch of HW in August 2005.....forecast said clear and sunny...we had snow and slush all the way to Misoula....just sayin....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What time did you start drinking that AM?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Every so often a paragraph will make the story easier to read.

Readin that chit gave me autism

LOL........you gotta admit though......VarmintGal never disappoints....

BOOK IT!!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Heavy snow, but no snow?

Here's Wisdom, MT's results. Too warm and no snow:

Odd that there's so many news and other reports, road safety warnings and photographs of the snow in that part of Montana that day. It seems to have attracted a bit of attention, especially by reason of its effect on various fires.

Here's Montana.gov, for example:

MTZ008-015-151930-
Madison-Beaverhead-
1200 PM MDT FRI SEP 15 2017

...A BAND OF OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT THE INTERSTATE 15
CORRIDOR THROUGH WESTERN MADISON AND CENTRAL BEAVERHEAD COUNTIES...

At 1155 AM MDT, trained storm spotters reported moderate to heavy
snow in Dillon, with snowfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches per hour
occurring. These snowfall rates will make travel treacherous in spots
along the Interstate 15 corridor over the next couple of hours,
potentially continuing into late this afternoon.

Locations impacted include...
Dillon, Sheridan, Twin Bridges, Lima, Alder, Monida, Dell, Bannack
Pass, Melrose, Laurin, Snowline, Glen, Beaverhead Rock State Park and
Clark Canyon.

This includes interstate 15 between mile markers 1 and 93 .

Plenty of snow according to the National Weather Service Missoula Facebook page too.

Maybe they are all lying?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.