Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Got my old 98 Mauser rebored by JES in this caliber. I've wanted one for years. Only got couple boxes of Prvi 285 gr. Seems accurate though. Having some feeding issues though. The cartridges on the left side of the magazine kept jamming into the right side of chamber. Did some work on the magazine and feeding rails. Still jack knifes when working bolt very slow. But if you work it like you hate it the gun feeds fine! Any tips on getting it to feed better without cycling so aggressive?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
After spending a good deal of last night and today working on the feed rails, I've pretty much got it slicked up. It's cycling a lot better now, still can't go real slow, but ain't got to cycle it near as hard as before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad it's working better

After reading justahunters lengthy post on his JES problems I would never use JES

I hope everything works out for you.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have two JES rebores and had as close to a perfect experience and result with them as can be expected. I suspect that there are hundreds more customers with similar experiences. I doubt there is a business out there that has not had a small percentage of dissatisfied customers. Despite justahunters problems, I would not hesitate to use JES again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will second the thumbs up for JES. He did one for me, and there was an issue but he fell all over himself to correct it and went above and beyond without being asked. Been seriously considering have him do another and have zero concerns about having him do it.

MM

Link to thread?

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 09/17/17.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bullet shape and OAL make a difference. Factory rounds should feed , but 286grain bullet in what is basically a 30.06 size case makes them nose heavy.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cleveland48
After spending a good deal of last night and today working on the feed rails, I've pretty much got it slicked up. It's cycling a lot better now, still can't go real slow, but ain't got to cycle it near as hard as before.

Two things, first, the front of the magazine, where the shoulder is, is too narrow. The 9,3 case is wider here and further forward than the '06. Second, the feed rail is kicking the cartridge over too far at the same point.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've had JES rebore a few rifles and recommended him to several friends. Everyone has been 100% satisfied.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
JES rebored my 30 Gibbs to 35 Gibbs,, did a fast and perfect job.

I tend to use more than enough gun
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I've ordered some 286 grain Hornady sp to load up and try also. The prvi load is pretty long and just barely fits. I'm gonna see how the spire points feed before I do anymore work on the feed rails. I've got a few pounds of varget to try also. Hopefully have some handloads ready by next weekend.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would suspect the Hornady Spire Points will feed right. The 9.3x62 was designed for the 98 Mauser action, so there shouldn't be much difficulty getting it to feed.

I'll also mention that I'm another shooter who's had excellent luck with JES, including a Remington 760 pump that was rebored from .30-06 to .35 Whelen and shot into an inch, with more than one load.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ordered some 286 grain Hornady sp to load up and try also. The prvi load is pretty long and just barely fits. I'm gonna see how the spire points feed before I do anymore work on the feed rails. I've got a few pounds of varget to try also. Hopefully have some handloads ready by next weekend.

It should feed either bullet with equal ease. Otherwise, it ain't fixed. What was the original chambering? Sounds like an 8x57 since the mag box seems short. The factory COAL is less than the box length of an 8x57.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have no clue what the original chambering was. My dad bought it in the 80's and it had already been rebarreld to 308. Then I had it chambered in 30/06. And now 9.3x62. It feeds fine now you just have cycle the bolt fairly quickly. If I go real slow the ones on the left side of the magazine hang up some by going into chamber cocked to the right.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It feeds fine now you just have cycle the bolt fairly quickly. If I go real slow the ones on the left side of the magazine hang up some by going into chamber cocked to the right.

Then it doesn't really feed fine, does it?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Came home from work and got to messing with it again. Went by some of the advice on here and tweeked the magazine box a little more in the shoulder area. And also hit the left feed rails just a bit more. Cycled it about 40 times slowly with no issues. So hopefully it is good to go. I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks for all the help guys!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have no dog in the JES comments - but shouldn't have that been worked out before you got the rifle back?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I would have taken it back...but then I wouldn't have learned how to fix the problem either.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
when I received the rifle back there was a note saying it was test fired. I assume that was just loading one shell at a time from the magazine and firing. When I received it back you could put one in the magazine and it would function just fine. So it doesn’t bother me that I had to do some work on it. Way I look at it was a learning experience. I decided to tackle it myself, and it took some time, but worked out great. Now have a good understanding of how the Mauser magazine and feed rails work as opposed to some other actions. Learned something useful in life and only cost me some time. I’ve been running it everyday after work this week. So far I’ve loaded the magazine and cycled it about 80 times from slow to fast without a single malfunction. He did a great job on the reboring also. Measured the headspace of my fires brass and it only grew .003” compared to factory round. So I’m very happy with his work, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again. Got two pounds of varget, and tm my dies and 286 spire points will come in. So I’ll start loading some up for this weekend.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.