Print Thread
Hop To
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't posted on this site but it's time I give it try. A Savage 420/430 OU has been on my want list for way too long and since they were only made for a few short years before WWII they aren't that easy to come by, at least not out here. I found one at a gun show today that has me scratching my head. The upside is that the metal is immaculate. The downside is that it has an aftermarket butt stock with a chowdered pad and home done checkering on the forearm. The upside of the downside is that the butt stock is decent and made from a nice piece of walnut. The guy wants 495.00 which I think is too much, but again you don't find these too often. Anyone ever have any extwith these guns? Also, did Savage use the same frame for the 20, 16 and 12 gauge guns? By the way, this gun is a 16; which may be a little problem in itself. Many thanks for any feedback.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well anyway the guy came down a hundred bucks so I bought it. The butt stock is actually better shaped that the original and made out of a very nice piece of walnut.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
you did well, especially if you like the gun as is. Don't know the answer to your frame question but I'll look at my old Savage catalogs and see what I can see. I SUSPECT that the 16 and 12 were made on the same frame, since I've handled both, but I've never handled a 20. One of my old hunting buddies from NYS has a 430 16 guage his dad gave him about 50 years ago (it was used THEN) and is deadly on grouse with it. 26" IC/M.

16 guage shells are still very available, even here in CA, just not in the variety of loads that other guages offer. Enjoy your old Savage!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mesa
you did well, especially if you like the gun as is. Don't know the answer to your frame question but I'll look at my old Savage catalogs and see what I can see. I SUSPECT that the 16 and 12 were made on the same frame, since I've handled both, but I've never handled a 20. One of my old hunting buddies from NYS has a 430 16 guage his dad gave him about 50 years ago (it was used THEN) and is deadly on grouse with it. 26" IC/M.

16 guage shells are still very available, even here in CA, just not in the variety of loads that other guages offer. Enjoy your old Savage!

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. I paid the seller 4-Franklins after he came down 100. As you know, we have a 10-day period here in CA so I won't be able to pick it up until next week. Thanks again for your help.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 39 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.