Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim,

Yes, decoppering agents work, and have for over a century now. Dunno why they're just now become the fashion in more powders.

Just cleaned 6mm rifle the other day that had been fired over 150 times without cleaning, using IMR4451. It took two patches to get the minimal amount of powder fouling out, but there wasn't a trace of copper.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Looking for a "Homemade" solution to eliminate copper streaks from my rifle bore.

1. Forget about the 'homemade' idea.
2. Wipe-Out is a great product for quickly and thoroughly removing copper residue.
3. Give your barrel a thorough cleaning and apply Dyna Bore Coat to minimize fouling in the future.

I've treated all my barrels with Dyna Bore Coat and use Wipe-Out for cleaning, and have not used a bronze brush in years. I prefer wearing out my barrels with shooting.

+1 on all counts.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good advice on removing the copper.

Now, anyone use one of the Copper fouling eraser powders and been happy with the results? Does that stuff really work?

IMR7977 did reduce the time needed to clean a fouling mutha of a 243.........

Not by a huge amount, but I did use a few less patches than I usually have to when using H4831.

BUT.......interestingly, RL26 cleans about as easy as IMR7977.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
26 also has a decoppering agent.

The effectiveness of decoppering agents depends on the bore diameter, charge-to-bore ratio, bullet bearing surface and how much the individual barrel tends to foul. Among other things.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do guys think cleaning with Wipe Out or Patch out is sufficient to get to bare metal prior to applying Dyna Bore Coat?

Last edited by NDHuntr; 09/18/17.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
26 also has a decoppering agent.

Well then, that explains it!

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, but how much it takes will depend on the bore and fouling.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Do guys think cleaning with Wipe Out or Patch out is sufficient to get to bare metal prior to applying Dyna Bore Coat?

No.

Mule Deer has recommended a number of times, and it's been my experience, JB compound is still the best bet at getting ALL the copper out.

Casey

Last edited by alpinecrick; 09/18/17.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana X Copper Killer works very well and no need to baby sit. Wipe Out/Patch Out also works well but takes longer. If I am going to get to bare metal I take my time and use Wipe Out/Patch Out then check with Copper Killer if that comes out clean I know I am to bare metal. If even slightly blue I repeat with Wipe Out/Patch Out .

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Ammonia damaged muzzle

I used Sweets 762, Butch's Bore shine, and lots of other Ammonia based solvents.
The stuff is slow and eats steel.

Then I got a system that works every time in 15 minutes [Loosely based on the Walt Berger system]:
1) powder solvent on patch
2) dry patch
3) KG12 on a patch [Non Ammonia Copper solvent that will dissolve a Copper bullet but does not etch steel]
4) dry patch
5) 20 strokes with Bronze brush with diameter greater than barrel groove diameter [keep checking. The brush can wear out in a dozen strokes], coated in [Kroil + Flitz] or [Darrell Holland Witches Brew]
6) Alcohol on patch
7) dry patch
8) Check muzzle with magnification and flashlight for Copper, repeat process if needed.

Then I discovered Copper fouling inhibiting powder:
IMR-4451 [temp compensated stick], IMR-4166 [temp compensated stick], CFE 223 [ not temp compensated ball, hard for primer to set off, but high performance]
Before the new powders, I had some Copper fouling in 15 rounds. Now I can build a rifle with a custom barrel, sight it in at long range, kill and deer, and all in less than 50 rounds with no Copper fouling.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
ClarkM

I hope my barrel doesn't end up like the photo. How long had the barrel in the photo been subjected to ammonia? I don't see any rifling!

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dang those ammonia-based cleaners!

You can also just install Dyna Bore-Coat, which slows copper build-up by at least 80%, and sometimes eliminates it complete. Plus, it seals the bore against moisture, ammonia, etc., so even if you decide on of those traditional ammonia/water solvents is necessary, it won't do any damage. Even if there's no copper to dissolve in the first place....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
ClarkM

I hope my barrel doesn't end up like the photo. How long had the barrel in the photo been subjected to ammonia? I don't see any rifling!

Sweet's overnight.

If you read this 2007 thread that goes on 4 pages, you will see me talk Kombayotch into including KG-12 into his Copper solvent testing.
It wins

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/689-our-own-copper-carbon-solvent-test

This is the test he was replicating.
https://www.eabco.com/KG12Test.pdf

He later replicated temp stable powder testing. The guy is good. Last I saw his day job was designing strain gauges in Canada and was a moderator at Canadian Guns forum.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hard to believe that people are still using antiquated (water based) Sweets when (oil based) Montana Xtreme is better. You can leave it in your barrel overnight and then some. It's all I use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Hard to believe that people are still using antiquated (water based) Sweets when (oil based) Montana Xtreme is better. You can leave it in your barrel overnight and then some. It's all I use.

This test compares Montana Extreme to other Copper solvents.
http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by SU35

This test compares Montana Extreme to other Copper solvents.
http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

Too bad they didn't include Wipe Out in that test.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There are also user reports on this very site of cleaning actual barrels where KG12 isn't "all that" either.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wipeout or KG 12 is all I use anymore. I put a drop of KG12 on a copper penny and it ate away all the markings on one side of it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting that whoever ran that test used Barnes XLC bullets, which had a blue anti-fouling coating. They were discontinued years ago, after the TSX appeared.

I've performed tests with several of the solvents listed, but instead of somehow figuring out how many grains of copper they removed, I looked inside the barrel with my Hawkeye bore-scope to see how much copper remained--if any. And I didn't just clean a single rifle, instead trying the solvents in 2-3 rifles. My results often varied considerably from those in the test.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mathman
There are also user reports on this very site of cleaning actual barrels where KG12 isn't "all that" either.

It gets good reviews on MidwayUSA. Just checked, since that comparison's test results for KG12 seem too good to be true. That's the trouble with online user reports though. You almost always find reported experiences 180 degrees out from each other. Most annoying that, and terminal bullet performance is the one that comes to mind as the most frequent and frustrating example.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.