Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12266795 09/12/17
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I recently went through my elk "stuff" and realized I am short a game bag or two. Plus, I think they are a bit small for elk. So what game bags are yinz us'in? What I have are the Alaskan game bags, but pretty sure they are the deer size. Don't need anything to survive a 50 mile pack on mules, just something usable to make it home from a 1-2 hour drive.

Thansk!

BP-B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I like the synthetic bags sold by Black Ovis!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had good luck with the Walmart game bags in elk quarter size including hanging in a tree overnight and a pack out on horseback holding 60+ lbs. of meat. Not the thinnest gauze type material but the thicker stretchy cotton - I think the brand is Hunters Specialty and we typically get a couple of uses out of them. They seem in the same performance neighborhood as the Alaskan bags. I fail to see the value in high dollar game bags doing something simple at 10x the cost.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
ditto what specneeds said for me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pillow cases from Walmart. 2 for $5, get 4.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by centershot

Used these for years with no problems.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I tried those once but had a stiff neck in the morning. So I use AK Game Bags, soak 'em in cold water and wash them separately. Goin' on five years with one set.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I like the synthetic bags sold by Black Ovis!

camofire has 'em on sale all the time. I've got two sets and have been using them for several years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Anybody know how much the Black Ovis bags (elk size) weight?
I have used and currently carrying thrift store pillow cases... would like to lighten up if I can.

Last edited by claybreaker; 09/14/17.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My game bags have flowers, tiger stripes, superman, etc. The kids are long gone but the sheets and pillow cases last forever.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag Bags, the moose sized ones would probably hold 2 elk quarters. Been using them for over a decade, they are the real deal. https://pristineventures.com/products/t-a-g-bags-2/

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have used the Allen #6020 Outfitter grade bags for years! I did just buy a set of Tag bags for packing now.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Anybody know how much the Black Ovis bags (elk size) weight?
I have used and currently carrying thrift store pillow cases... would like to lighten up if I can.

4 3/4 oz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And zip ties

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually use the heavy duty cotton ones for day hunts or whenever I get a critter to the rig whole. They're heavy but can be used as a blanket if you spend an unplanned night out on the mountain.

For planned back pack hunts, I now use the Caribou bags and really like them. Really light and strong.

The Alaska bags and other cheaper disposables stretch way too much for me. Bugs and dirt go right through them. Pillow cases have never been big enough for a full elk quarter. For completely boned out meat I am sure they would be fine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just spent a week in Bettles, AK helping hunters unload after float trips for moose. Moose float trips are the worst test of game bags ever -- in that unit, you have to pack out the rib bones and leg bones. This means that the bags are HEAVY and often filled with bone edges. Not only do the bags need to survive days on a pack and raft, they need to stay together when hung from a rope at the take-out point (where I was).

Prior to this I used pillow cases and cheesecloth bags, as well as large bags made from sewn sheets. Any of my previous bags would have failed on these big moose parts. I unloaded bag after bag that had burst or was ready to.

Hands down the best bags were some made by a company called T.A.G. Another synthetic bag also performed well, but I didn't get the name. It seemed a clone of the T.A.G. product.

I may still use pillow cases for some conditions, but they don't hold a candle to the T.A.G. bags.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Moose float trips are the worst test of game bags ever -- in that unit, you have to pack out the rib bones and leg bones
Who came up with that brilliant plan? We use bears, coyotes, and wolves for the late fall cleaning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Them's the rules in some Alaska Game Units. This was on the south side of the Brooks.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used pillow cases, my wife has sewn sheets to make bags, I've bought a few varieties of commercial cotton bags and I've tried the T.A.G. and Caribou bags. When weight isn't an issue I think I prefer fairly heavy cotton canvas/fabric bags. They're relatively cheap, plenty durable/strong for moose quarters and I've bags that have been used on more than a dozen different bulls. In the last few seasons I've used more T.A.G. and Caribou bags and they work great too. The biggest advantage I've found with them is that they're lighter and more compact if you must pack them around on your back while hunting.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing works in Alaska but heavy duty light canvas bags (around 36" wide and 70" long). These are used for moose quarters. The bags made of an elastic but very strong sort of cheese-cloth are good for the back straps and tenderloins since these allow for air to aerate the meat inside. But on a cool day or evening without bugs, we hang the meat in a shaded area until it develops a sheen when it dries and remove the game bags. We usually have several bags, and use the new ones when transporting the meat, and to keep flies from laying eggs on it.

A large moose hind leg often weights around 160+ pounds. Pillow cases would never work for that. Maybe to put small pieces of meat from the neck, tenderloins, and back straps.

Last edited by Ray; 09/17/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
214 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.