24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Shot 8 99's this morning, but had some hick-ups.

2 piece Redfield base on the 358 Carbine was low in the back and I could not sight it in even with offset rings. Replaced the Redfield with one piece base when I got home. Never seen a set so far out of alignment.

DL in 250 w 1-10"barrel didn't like RL15 and 80 grain ttsx's seated 50 thousandths off lands. Have 6 more loads to try. Would really like to get them to shoot in case I need to poke a bear at a bit of an angle while I'm deer hunting.

PE in 308 didn't like my AR10 loads with 125 Nosler Ballistic tips. Was hoping I'd get lucky with the PE since I've got 700 rounds loaded for the AR.

308 EG ran out of elevation adjustment on the Leupold scope before I could get it sighted in. Bases out of alignment on this one too! Holy cow what's going on here?

The 375 carbine shot perfectly at 100 so I held a little high and dropped one right in there at 200. Thought, wow, that was fun let's try 300. Then 400! Believe it or not it's like shooting a 22LR at long range and seemed pretty intuitive. Amazed since we've been taught that's a "brush gun". Makes sense they used to shoot the 38-55 long. I had a ball and feel good to 300 yards. For you 375 guys, try some long shooting, I promise you'll have fun!

I had really high hopes for the 99 in 22-250. Savage 99 barrel, DL donor rifle with RT forearm. A really solid feeling rifle. It hated some handloads I had for another rifle and Hornady 50 grain factory loads. Then I tried some Remington 55 grain soft point factory loads. 5 shots touching at 100! Decided to sight in for 200 so after a couple adjustments I was busting sticks and rocks with ease at 200. My buddy wanted to try it so he focused it for his eyes and POI changed 2"! I changed the focus back for me and then it wouldn't shoot near as well as before, also 2" off but a different direction. Leupold 2.5-8 scope. Very frustrated with that. Plan to try again tomorrow to see what's going on with the scope. The gun sure does shoot if I can land on the right optics for it.

99F .284 has been a stone cold killer and sighted in for 225 yards. First few shots at 100 were 3-4" off and the scope refused to track. Another Leupold 2.5-8. Tried 200 and 300 and it was all over the map. Everything tight. Scope going back to Leupold. There goes my Plan A deer rifle. Got home and found another scope to try on it.

The 99 in .338 federal with 160 grain Barnes ttsx shoots about 4-5" at 300 yards, which I've decided is about max for that load. I wish it was 2-3" but it just isn't. That'll be a good bear load inside 300 and should be great for deer.

Not accustomed to so many problems with the baby's. Got a few wrinkles ironed out and am ready to go back out for round two.

Get out and shoot fellow Savage nuts.

LOL
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 38-55 always interested me as it seems like one of those rounds that don't exactly do what the ballistics say it should, and I'd expect the 375 to do just about the same thing. Some time try shooting long distances with a 45 ACP. Once, a few years back, my brother and I were doing this late in the evening with the sun at our back and your could track the copper slugs like dim tracers. That was a hoot dropping them into a target. Sounds like your day was a hoot too, regardless of the problems.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Junk! All junk! Send 'em down the road Roy!

You shouldn't have to struggle along with inferior rifles at this stage of your life. PM sent with an offer to take 'em all off your hands.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
sounds like me at the range last week! just little stuff tho, the 250 BB is ready tho, that thing just flat out shoots!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a great day to me!!!!

IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds odd, but shooting a lot of rifles in one day seems to bring out these kind of results. I find that shooting 1 or 2 at a range session allows me to focus on those quirks, fix them, and move on.

I also keep a detailed journal that explains each firearm in detail so I remember what happened to what rifle to make it shoot. This is on top of the normal stuff you track like load data. I don't currently own a 99 that isn't at least 4 MOA. Most are much better than that. A few are way, way better than that.

The best part of owning these firearms is figuring out all the variables that allows you to maximize your rifle's fullest potential. I get a lot of satisfaction in doing just that.

I have an 1899H that has seen better days. And it initially shot like it. Though after figuring it all out, and it was a test of will, I can just about make 5 shots touch each other at 75 yards.

If you don't participate in figuring this stuff out, you are missing out on the best part of Savage collecting IMO.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest frustration was 2 Leupold 2.5-8 scope failures on the .284 and 22-250. Just flat out would not sight in. And these guns will shoot. Now I'm questioning all things Leupold after being a loyal fan for 30+ years.

The two guns with misaligned two piece bases were an easy fix. I've used a boatload of Weaver 2 piece bases with only an occasional hiccup, but lately I've had base trouble up the wazzoo and with different brands. Somebody either Savage or these base companies are not into monitoring manufacturing tolerances!

The guns that didn't like a particular ammo just need a different diet and they'll be fine. I expected to need to do load development but had hoped to get lucky with existing loads from other rifles. Oh well.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roy --
Being an old gunsmith, I hate to admit this, but I have ruined around 4 or 5 scopes on two different rifles with two-piece mounts. One was a 99EG in 250-3000 and one a Mauser 98 Model M. If I would have lapped the mounts prior to mounting the scopes, I would be 4 or 5 scopes ahead. GRRRRRR. Once you bend the tube, you can definitely kiss that scope goodbye. Three of these were Leupold 3 x 9. It is a mistake I will not make again. Then again, it could be the aging process and I might forget again. Have written myself a note.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just came down from the gunroom. mounted redfield rings on the one piece base on that 308 F i got the other day. slipped the wheeler alignment bars in and theywere off vertical by 1/16 inch. changed front ring , same thing. changed back ring , same same. found Some old Luepold's in the bottom of the whatzit drawer and they are within a 64th.now to lap!
i have one Leupold 3x9 i bought here and it wont adjust period. suspect bubba heavy fingered it past adjustment.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm heading to the club tomorrow,, it's been to hot.. low 80's here all this past week. tomorrow it's in the low 60's.. I don't like range work when it's to hot ,I really prefer it in the 30-40 degree range .. three scopes to test tomorrow and sighting in the 284DE . I'll probably bring along a few others .. I spend the whole day at the club.. need stuff to shoot smile

plab

Gotta love them 303's
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Plab
I'm heading to the club tomorrow,, it's been to hot.. low 80's here all this past week. tomorrow it's in the low 60's.. I don't like range work when it's to hot ,I really prefer it in the 30-40 degree range .. three scopes to test tomorrow and sighting in the 284DE . I'll probably bring along a few others .. I spend the whole day at the club.. need stuff to shoot smile

plab

284 OOOOOH AHHHHHHH. What bullets you using in yours?

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FB I shot some 125gr WW.PP they're useless.. 140gr sierra gamekings shot great.. and what a great trigger that DE has .. best I've ever felt on a 99

plab

Gotta love them 303's

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
623 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.