-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt a 22-250 or a 243 will wind you ..

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can't get winded you better take those hills very slow. And have someone ready to help you drag this season!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
If you can't get winded you better take those hills very slow. And have someone ready to help you drag this season!

-Jake

Absolutely!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Id do what ever it takes to be into the woods! Years ago I had to have back surgery, and couldnt draw my bow,my buddie that owned a Archery shop, offered to let me use a crossbow, I hated the idea, he asked do you want to deer hunt or just sit home! I used the crossbow, didnt get a deer but was still hunting! I got better and used compound bows and even Longbows, now 20 plus years later im back with a Crossbow, But still HUNTING!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
Id do what ever it takes to be into the woods! Years ago I had to have back surgery, and couldnt draw my bow,my buddie that owned a Archery shop, offered to let me use a crossbow, I hated the idea, he asked do you want to deer hunt or just sit home! I used the crossbow, didnt get a deer but was still hunting! I got better and used compound bows and even Longbows, now 20 plus years later im back with a Crossbow, But still HUNTING!

That's how I feel. Plus, my Dr. told me the surest way to die is to become inactive and the surest way to live is to become active.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like what Doc said about being active.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be hunting and just pick my shots carefully. That would be with or without doc's permission.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
your health is top priority, plus if you don[t think you are in shape to carry the appropriate rifle then its best to let this season go, there is always another one.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I wouldn't worry about shooting a bear with a 223 or 22-250 given good bullets. I would be a little concerned with all the associated activity, especially the post kill dragging/packing. I would see that I had a contingency plan for a successful hunt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rollerroll56
your health is top priority, plus if you don[t think you are in shape to carry the appropriate rifle then its best to let this season go, there is always another one.

I can carry any rifle made. It's shooting them that's the issue.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noKnees
I wouldn't worry about shooting a bear with a 223 or 22-250 given good bullets. I would be a little concerned with all the associated activity, especially the post kill dragging/packing. I would see that I had a contingency plan for a successful hunt.

Agreed. I pretty much have that in place.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hope you can make it work, Mike.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
About 10 years ago, I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder 30 days before the Pa. buck season opener. In my case, I had to be careful getting around, the doc was concerned about me falling and ripping his handiwork out of my shoulder. So I hunted wearing a sling and then a swath to bind the arm to my body.

No way could I use a rifle, so I hunted with my Redhawk in my left hand. A handgun is a lot lighter than a rifle, that could be important when you consider all the weight of clothes, food, and other stuff we hunters typically have with us.

Best of luck with whatever your decision is,

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
About 10 years ago, I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder 30 days before the Pa. buck season opener. In my case, I had to be careful getting around, the doc was concerned about me falling and ripping his handiwork out of my shoulder. So I hunted wearing a sling and then a swath to bind the arm to my body.

No way could I use a rifle, so I hunted with my Redhawk in my left hand. A handgun is a lot lighter than a rifle, that could be important when you consider all the weight of clothes, food, and other stuff we hunters typically have with us.

Best of luck with whatever your decision is,

Dale

Unfortunately my Dan Wesson hunting revolver was stolen and I can't afford to replace it at the moment. But a revolver would be a welcome solution.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I hope you can make it work, Mike.

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't particularly recommend .22 centerfires for bear but in capable confident hands they are deadly. A close friend of mine killed several bears with his 22-250 while I hunted with him some 25 years ago. He is a good hunter, calm shooter and a superb shot who knew where to place his shots and had the ability to do so. If your resume fits and you have the discipline...

Edited to add that blood trails are less likely with any .22, so a hit that puts the critter down fairly close to where he was when hit is desirable.

Last edited by Okanagan; 09/19/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.243 with a barnes 80gr ttsx in the neck. That will drop a bear with no tracking. Just like shooting a hog.

Or a .223 with same but lighter ttsx.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by moosemike
Due to an aneurysm in my heart my Dr. has me limited to .223 class rifles. I'm deciding between a .223 or a .22-250 now and expect to purchase one within the next two weeks. Now Bear season is one of my favorite hunting seasons but given my cartridge restrictions should I just forget about it? I really love to go but am not sure of the ethics involved with .22 centerfires and Black Bears.

One of the good guys here, Dober, found a .22 centerfire satisfactory for the task:

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Colin-I've used the 63 Sierra and H414 to take a lot of deer/lopes. I've yet to find a 14 twist or quicker that wouldn't just shoot like crazy with the bullet.

I've also used the 60 Horn sp and hp on game and it's done it's work quite well.

The biggest black bear that I've shot I took with a 22/250 and the 63 Sierra/H414 combo. The bruin was quartering away and 178 yds out. The bullet went into the body just in front of where a bruins love handle would be and exited it's adams apple....

Dober

I'd imagine the walking in, and shooting, should be pretty manageable. Getting a bear out of the woods, though, should probably involve a few buddies.

I sure hope you can do it, & tell us about it!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd get a second opinion, that recommendation sounds pretty contradictory. Spend a few more dollars and see another doctor, it's your heart and with the time and effort.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
250-3000 with 80 grain Barnes ttsx.

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.