-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using amsoil for years and I abuse my equipment. Amazing stuff and every UOA I've ever had done confirms it

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once a year

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Can't comment on Amsoil, but can comment on extended oil changes running full synthetic. Have had two high mileage E-class Mercedes, factory recommended oil change is 10-12k using Mobil 1. Had 220k on one vehicle before it was totaled, engine still ran like a top. Have 170k on the other one and it runs like new. Had an 06 cummins that I went 15k on oil changes 7.5k on filters using mobil 1, at 150k it ran like new.

I have no qualms with extended oil changes running a quality full synthetic.

Yep. We go 10k with Mobil 1 on my wife's Porsche and her Audi. Though still low miles (22k and 25k) the oil dumps pretty damn clean when changed. I change my Tundra around 6k with Castrol GTX. My '73 Mach 1 (a tweaked 351 Cleveland) gets Royal Purple as that is what the previous owner ran and provided two cases of. Next year it will have a different engine (427 Windsor roller stroker) and it will see Mobil 1.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know some that use it bu I never figured it was worth the cost....my 93 Chevy has 316k on conventional oil..chevron 10-30 with wix filters every 5 k miles..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Full synthetic isn't more expensive when you factor in running it twice as long before changing it. I value my time, so cutting my oil changes in 1/2 is a benefit to me.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Zerk
Sometimes spread between trucks and bikes.

I wish you would keep that kind of information to yourself.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have been using Amsoil in all of my vehicles for probably 7 years. And yes I change the oil in my Honda 2006 (268k miles) and Tacoma 2006 (145k miles) once a year. The Honda started when it had approx 65k miles and the Tacoma started when it had approx 75k miles. My reason for going for the extend interval oil change is because we put alot of miles on the Honda, at least 450 miles a week. So I wanted the extend oil change. As someone alluded above, the interior car will wear out before the motor, at least with the 2005 models. This is primarily a function of the motor designed better than the cars of yesterday years. There are alot more high mileage vehicles on the road today and that is a testament to the durability of vehicles today. I have used Amsoil in all of my vehicles, Honda, Tacoma, Rav I will do when the warranty expires, Harley (all three holes except the tranny).

My wife bought a new 2016 Rav last year and the dealer was offering $500 for the Honda. Since I bought this Honda brand new I said hell with it and kept the Honda thinking I can get 300k miles out of it. I have never bought and kept a car for that long so I wanted to try this one. We are driving the Honda to work with my wife driving it 75 miles round trip always but she works from home 2 days a week nowdays so its getting driven less than previously. I work from home and my round trip is 30 miles and drive the Honda if possible and the Tacoma when she drives the Honda. Both vehicles have held up well for the mileage we put on the cars.

As for Amsoil being a gimmick...that is funny. There are millions of vehicles on the road using Amsoil. Right now I pay $16 for yearly Amsoil membership and the cost to buy this synthetic Amsoil is cheaper than Mobile 1 or any other synthetic oil. I will say this...when I change oil in my vehicles I decided to use the Mann/Wix oil filter and if I do put 21k miles on my vehicle starting with the oil change I will swap out for anew filter and top off the oil. So basically I change filter 3 times when I drive the vehicle for 21k miles. I am doing this for peace of mind knowing I have fresh filter to catch dirt from the oil. I have always changed oil myself so this is alot less work for me but if I felt I need oil changed 3x a year I would do it.

Back when I started using Amsoil I researched the feasibility of Amsoil. I found an article where Amsoil did a test of their synthetic oil comparing with others (Mobile, Rotella, Purple) and Amsoil found their oil last well for the heat a motor produces. The article is on the internet somewhere. If this was BS then why do you think Mobile and others did not take Amsoil to court for this kind of test? Why did not Mobile do the test themselves and find out whether this is false misrepresenting their oil (or any other oil manufacture can do this?). I think back in the day...dealerships want everyone to change oil frequently...that is how they make money. This extend interval oil change has gotten the dealer to acknowledge that 10,000 miles is not much different from 5,000 miles per motor degradation.

In all honesty I believe all synthetic oil is superior today and with cars being manufactured to tighter tolerance and made to last, probably any synthetic oil will be good for a vehicle. Me...I change the oil myself and I picked something that can last for extend oil changes. My vehicles have shown this to work for me. And for the record I have never done a UOA but wish I had done it at the beginning. Of course, as they say YMMV...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by valad
I have been using Amsoil in all of my vehicles for probably 7 years. And yes I change the oil in my Honda 2006 (268k miles) and Tacoma 2006 (145k miles) once a year. The Honda started when it had approx 65k miles and the Tacoma started when it had approx 75k miles. My reason for going for the extend interval oil change is because we put alot of miles on the Honda, at least 450 miles a week. So I wanted the extend oil change. As someone alluded above, the interior car will wear out before the motor, at least with the 2005 models. This is primarily a function of the motor designed better than the cars of yesterday years. There are alot more high mileage vehicles on the road today and that is a testament to the durability of vehicles today. I have used Amsoil in all of my vehicles, Honda, Tacoma, Rav I will do when the warranty expires, Harley (all three holes except the tranny).

My wife bought a new 2016 Rav last year and the dealer was offering $500 for the Honda. Since I bought this Honda brand new I said hell with it and kept the Honda thinking I can get 300k miles out of it. I have never bought and kept a car for that long so I wanted to try this one. We are driving the Honda to work with my wife driving it 75 miles round trip always but she works from home 2 days a week nowdays so its getting driven less than previously. I work from home and my round trip is 30 miles and drive the Honda if possible and the Tacoma when she drives the Honda. Both vehicles have held up well for the mileage we put on the cars.

As for Amsoil being a gimmick...that is funny. There are millions of vehicles on the road using Amsoil. Right now I pay $16 for yearly Amsoil membership and the cost to buy this synthetic Amsoil is cheaper than Mobile 1 or any other synthetic oil. I will say this...when I change oil in my vehicles I decided to use the Mann/Wix oil filter and if I do put 21k miles on my vehicle starting with the oil change I will swap out for anew filter and top off the oil. So basically I change filter 3 times when I drive the vehicle for 21k miles. I am doing this for peace of mind knowing I have fresh filter to catch dirt from the oil. I have always changed oil myself so this is alot less work for me but if I felt I need oil changed 3x a year I would do it.

Back when I started using Amsoil I researched the feasibility of Amsoil. I found an article where Amsoil did a test of their synthetic oil comparing with others (Mobile, Rotella, Purple) and Amsoil found their oil last well for the heat a motor produces. The article is on the internet somewhere. If this was BS then why do you think Mobile and others did not take Amsoil to court for this kind of test? Why did not Mobile do the test themselves and find out whether this is false misrepresenting their oil (or any other oil manufacture can do this?). I think back in the day...dealerships want everyone to change oil frequently...that is how they make money. This extend interval oil change has gotten the dealer to acknowledge that 10,000 miles is not much different from 5,000 miles per motor degradation.

In all honesty I believe all synthetic oil is superior today and with cars being manufactured to tighter tolerance and made to last, probably any synthetic oil will be good for a vehicle. Me...I change the oil myself and I picked something that can last for extend oil changes. My vehicles have shown this to work for me. And for the record I have never done a UOA but wish I had done it at the beginning. Of course, as they say YMMV...

Do you honestly think a small time blender like Amsoil knows anything Mobil doesnt? For starters botique brands purchase their base oils and additives from company's like Mobil, Shell, etc. They produce nothing other than finished product made from t blending other people's components. With that said do you think Mobil and the other big boys sell them the best components?
It's also worth noting that Amsoil test are often BS. At on they used the four ball test on motor oils. Problem is the test was designed for testing extreme pressure properties of gear oils.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/04/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Full synthetic isn't more expensive when you factor in running it twice as long before changing it. I value my time, so cutting my oil changes in 1/2 is a benefit to me.

That's why I use it . That and the cold start benifits of good synthetics.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker

That's why I use it . That and the cold start benifits of good synthetics.

Don't forget that it retains its viscosity better than dinosaur oil in extreme heat too. Vehicle engines get really hot when you're idling in a bumper to bumper commute on a hot afternoon or anytime the temperature is in triple digits .

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I go 7,500 miles between oil changes using Mobil 1 in my 2016 Chevy Colorado. 37K miles so far, no problems.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
When I bought my Tacoma back in 2011, I think, some came with synthetic and some with regular motor oil. The ones with synthetic recommended 10,000 miles while the ones with regular was 5,000. When I bought my Tundra in 2015, it came with synthetic but the recommended mileage was 5,000 miles. I don't quite understand why, as everyone that I have talked to had no problems with the 10,000 miles oil change. miles

I drive a 2014 Tundra Crew 4x4. It came with full synthetic as well, and the rec'd oil change interval is 5000 miles. I was told at the local dealer that does the oil changes that the 2x4's were still 10k, the 4x4's interval is 5k.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by milespatton
When I bought my Tacoma back in 2011, I think, some came with synthetic and some with regular motor oil. The ones with synthetic recommended 10,000 miles while the ones with regular was 5,000. When I bought my Tundra in 2015, it came with synthetic but the recommended mileage was 5,000 miles. I don't quite understand why, as everyone that I have talked to had no problems with the 10,000 miles oil change. miles

I drive a 2014 Tundra Crew 4x4. It came with full synthetic as well, and the rec'd oil change interval is 5000 miles. I was told at the local dealer that does the oil changes that the 2x4's were still 10k, the 4x4's interval is 5k.

JG you have the Flex Fuel Engine Correct?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I run Mobil One in my vehicles...and do 20 or 25,000 mile changes... with filters every 5K...

My last two changes, samples sent to Blackstone...

The Honda Pilot had 22,500 miles on the 0w30 oil.. the report told me to run the next change another 3K longer
if I wanted to...

The Oil from the 4 Runner was also 0w30.. that one had 25K on that oil... 2 filter changes at 10K
and 5K on the current filter... they told me to run the next change another 3K on that one also..

both had a TBN of 3+ on the oil samples sent in...

The filters I use are NAPA Golds...

The Pilot has 240K at that oil change interval on the engine..

the 4 Runner, was bought 30 years ago this month... it has 550,500 on the vehicle right now..

at 537,000 we put a new head on it, as it needed a valve job finally...

your mileage may vary...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use Rotella in my Cummins. I change every 4000 miles.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Our Camry came with full synthetic, and the dealer suggested oil changes every 10,000 miles, with a trip into the shop to rotate tires every 5K. It's my first Toyota, so that's what we do. It's only got 63K miles on it, mostly highway, and it runs like a top, and a lot better than I'd suspect a 4 banger to do.

Wifey took it in today for servicing (it's her car). She's still gone, so I haven't heard of any issues yet.

Pretty good car. We've put 30K miles on it in two years time. Excellent car.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always changed my own oil and I'm a big believer in getting rid of the dirt with more frequent oil and filter changes. I change mine every 2,000 miles when the odometer rolls around to an even number. What convinced me to change that often was when I changed my daughter's oil when she would run it 3 or 4,000 miles. I use an old white refrigerator pan for my drain pan and you would not believe the sludge difference between 2,000 mile oil and 3,000 mile oil. I ran Amsoil in my old truck back when vehicles had carburetors and I did an oil analysis at 10,000 miles. The oil was full of fuel dilution, carbon and what ever bearings are made from. Back then it was a diester based oil and it ate through the seals, so that truck leaked from everything where I had Amsoil. I ran Mobil 1 synthetic oil in a turbo charged Saab when it first came out when it was pretty thin at 5w20 I think it was. It did keep the engine very clean, but I replaced two turbochargers at $750. each because the seals went out. That was not an inter-cooled turbo, but since those turbo shafts ran on an oil supported bushing, I've always blamed the thin Mobil 1 oil for the failures. I figure that today's long oil drain intervals are brought to you by the same manufacturers that want you to buy another new vehicle. I was talking to a cab driver in NYC and he told me that they change their oil every week.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've always changed my own oil and I'm a big believer in getting rid of the dirt with more frequent oil and filter changes. I change mine every 2,000 miles when the odometer rolls around to an even number. What convinced me to change that often was when I changed my daughter's oil when she would run it 3 or 4,000 miles. I use an old white refrigerator pan for my drain pan and you would not believe the sludge difference between 2,000 mile oil and 3,000 mile oil. I ran Amsoil in my old truck back when vehicles had carburetors and I did an oil analysis at 10,000 miles. The oil was full of fuel dilution, carbon and what ever bearings are made from. Back then it was a diester based oil and it ate through the seals, so that truck leaked from everything where I had Amsoil. I ran Mobil 1 synthetic oil in a turbo charged Saab when it first came out when it was pretty thin at 5w20 I think it was. It did keep the engine very clean, but I replaced two turbochargers at $750. each because the seals went out. That was not an inter-cooled turbo, but since those turbo shafts ran on an oil supported bushing, I've always blamed the thin Mobil 1 oil for the failures. I figure that today's long oil drain intervals are brought to you by the same manufacturers that want you to buy another new vehicle. I was talking to a cab driver in NYC and he told me that they change their oil every week.

Or you could just change the filter and add a quart....

Based on UOA’s I’ve had done this is a giant waste of money but if it makes you feel better then get after it. Today’s oils are designed to last a lot longer than 2000 miles and the color of the oil isn’t an indicator of whether it’s still good or not

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well sure I'm old school, but one of the products of combustion is carbon and today's engines are built with lots tighter tolerances than they were in years past and carbon is an abrasive. Low twenty something dollars for five quarts of good petroleum oil and a good filter from Walmart is cheap presence of mind to get rid of the dirt. I'm sure that the fuel injected engines today have way less fuel dilution than we had up here in the frozen north with the chokes on the carburetors. I had this conversation with our east coast sales guy who subsequently called me from the repair shop to eat crow when he thought that he could run his oil 25,000 miles because the advertising said that he could.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
“Get rid of the dirt”? Lol. Ok

Seriously, proper filtration is key and with a makeup quart per filter change your tbn stays high and you’ll be good but if you really think you have “dirt” in your oil then keep on doing what you’re doing because nobody can reason with that 😂

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 15 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.