Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My family most shoots Hoyt, but my wife wants me to get a Mathews. I’m not looking for the latest line up, I could do with bows that are a season or two old, I’m looking more for good performance than look. I’ve done a bit of research, I found that in terms of pricing (https://hunthacks.com/), the Hoyt is definitely less pricey than the Mathews, and the Hoyt seems more adjustable, whereas the Mathews also needs additional purchases, like new cams.

Do you guys have any more things that can help me consider either of the two better, or other brands that you think are better than Hoyt or Mathews? Please let me know. Thanks!

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have shot both of them. Currently shooting a Hoyt Faktor, a four year old bow. Previously I shot a Mathews Drenalin.
Both are great bows. And I suspect that both companies still have some good models.
If you can, go to a pro shop and shoot several of both and decide.

NRA Patron
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Are you looking for a used bow or a left over new one? If new than almost all the 2017 Mathews will be about the same price (except the Z3) so go with the model you shoot best. Also, remember the 2017s will be considered last years model come November. I shot the majority of the Hoyts, Mathews and Bowtechs last winter and found the Hoyt products to be lacking. I really wanted to purchase a Hoyt so maybe sometime in the future. The Bowtech Reign is about the most adjustable bow on the market and a very nice shooting bow. However, in the end I shot the Halon 32 the best and that is the one I chose. Its personal so go test them out and let us know what you think.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ejo
Are you looking for a used bow or a left over new one? If new than almost all the 2017 Mathews will be about the same price (except the Z3) so go with the model you shoot best. Also, remember the 2017s will be considered last years model come November. I shot the majority of the Hoyts, Mathews and Bowtechs last winter and found the Hoyt products to be lacking. I really wanted to purchase a Hoyt so maybe sometime in the future. The Bowtech Reign is about the most adjustable bow on the market and a very nice shooting bow. However, in the end I shot the Halon 32 the best and that is the one I chose. Its personal so go test them out and let us know what you think.

I see I would have to do a lot of exploring on both side,
will try a few 2017 Mathews bows and see how they feel. I should be back with updates before this week runs out.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hoyt on the other hand I haven't heard much good about.

Last edited by rollerroll56; 09/18/17.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by rollerroll56
My family most shoots Hoyt, but my wife wants me to get a Mathews. I’m not looking for the latest line up, I could do with bows that are a season or two old, I’m looking more for good performance than look. I’ve done a bit of research, I found that in terms of pricing (https://hunthacks.com/), the Hoyt is definitely less pricey than the Mathews, and the Hoyt seems more adjustable, whereas the Mathews also needs additional purchases, like new cams.

Do you guys have any more things that can help me consider either of the two better, or other brands that you think are better than Hoyt or Mathews? Please let me know. Thanks!

Outdated compounds, and Matthews go out of date pretty quick...are like last years snow, not worth much. So, you should be able to get all the used bows to try you want pretty cheap. I mean, you gotta be in the "bow of the month club" to stay up with Matthews bows. I like them and I used them for about 10 years. I got sick of paying for the latest and greatest only to get a flyer in the mail two seconds after I buy one advertising the same name bow with an XT or XR after it. What got me away from Matthews was also the weight, they have lightened up recently, but were always heavy bows.
I have a Hoyt Carbon Matrix I bought the first year they came out and still shoot it, zero problems and I don't feel like it is behind the times at all. In all fairness, I have never had any problems with any of the top name compounds...then again, that "bow of the month club" thing has nobody really keeping them very long. Personally, I'd stick with Hoyt.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My first expensive bow was a Mathews Drenalin LD, I love that bow if fact I just took it elk hunting this weekend for nostalgia sake. I have tried a few other Mathews bows since then and I can't find one that I like. I have been shooting a Hoyt Nitrum 34 LD for a few years and I love the bow. It goes out to 100 yards easily, 3D not hunting. I am a Hoyt convert. I would love to get my hands on a Hyperedge. I love long ATA bows.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D

You lost me at my wife wants me to get....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I noticed mathews have the best resale value...if that matters. Im a mathews fan. I've strayed but always come back.
Bought a new halon 32 6 this year to replace my mr8.
Really like my mathews bows!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i still have a mathews q 32.still shoots great

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think bows are a feel choice, more then a brand. You have to like the feel Blindfolded to shot it decent. In my humble opinion , a lot of the new bows feel top heavy in my hand. Hence , I stick with antiques from Hoyt................

Last edited by wyoming260; 09/24/17.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

You lost me at my wife wants me to get....

This is awesome, but do not let the shock of approval from your wife make the decision for you!!!!!!!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i haven't owned many bows but all my compounds have been mathews. my mq1 is still laser straight and its probably 15 years old. i would go to a good private bow shop and handle them all. darton makes a good bow too in my opinion. see what feels and shoots good for you best.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have to say just shoot what feels best. I shot a Matthews for several season and had no interest in parting with the reazon6.5. I dry fired it and had to get a new cam and also replaced the string. Sold it after that as it never felt the same after. Buddy bought it and and couldn't be happier.
I now shoot a Stevens inception so brand loyalty is not a big deal to me. Shoot several as recommended and see what feels best

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Both are great. When I bought my last bow, I walked in knowing I'd be leaving with a Mathews, walked out with a hoyt. Just felt better to me.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Try shooting a Prime. Lots of us have made the switch--yes, also had Hoyt and Mathews. I do agree on the resale of the Mathews.

A friend owns an archery shop and was going to give me the same price on a Prime or Halon (higher price). I shot both side-by-side and got the Prime. Prime also gives you free string replacements--ask your shop about it. Shoot all of them and decide what you like best. Lots of good bows on the market today, so it's hard to make a bad choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prime will be next in my herd of bows, free strings and dual track cams makes tuning very easy for fixed broadheads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the Hoyts. Mathews has a top limb tip forward at the shot that feels strange to me. The Hoyts tend to be very neutral. Both manufacturers make top quality rigs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What do you get with new bows all the time that you needed that old bows didn't cut the mustard?

I often wonder.

Still can kill all I want with a round wheel 91 bow. Or my Brackenbury recurve.

I'd like a new bow, but every time I start to look, I just realize, I refuse to shoot past 15 yards. Deer will move if they are further than that and I have to live with my choices.

What will a new bow do?

I could shoot small enough groups out to 90 yards with my round wheel bow in the day....

After all that babble, I'd sure grab what FELT the best and shot the smoothest to me... could care less what the name is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Disregard, I just realized some folks buy guns every year just to buy them, not for a specific purpose and because they wanted a new one.

I guess I"m unfortunately more purpose driven.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (160user, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 21 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.