Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
For those who have the newer Tacoma with 3.5L engines how does it compare with the 4.0L engines?
I was at a Toyota dealership to meet my wife as she had a nail in her sidewall. I took a look at the 2017 Tacomas and knew they had the 3.5L engines and I always wonder what folks think of this motor? Supposedly gets slightly better MPG. And then my daughter just told me today she wants a truck! lol.
I have the 2006 Tacoma SR5 and while it is good and I like the non payment now, I bought it used. It does need some things fixed...shocks/springs are going bad and they had a recall on the spring but I got this truck past the recall.
So what's the consensus of the 3.5L for those who have one, drove one or had a pard that has one?

GB2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go over here and read up a bit, join if you want.

www.tacomaworld.com

I have an 07 with the older engine and post some over there.

Based on my reading the new truck and engine get mixed reviews. But a lot of that is pissing contests between the groups who own both that want to argue, "mine is better than yours"

The newer engine runs at higher rpm's and drives much differently. The guys used to the older engines can't get used to that. But I think it is still a good truck that tows almost as much as the older truck. You just have to drive it differently.

FWIW I bought my Tacoma new 10 years and 182,000 miles ago. It has been the best truck I've ever owned, but is just too small anymore for a lot of what we do. About 16 months ago I bought a used F150 Supercrew 4X4. I could have traded the Tacoma and bought a new Ford or keep it and buy used. It was about the same out of pocket either way. I decided to keep the older Taco as a 3rd vehicle. It needs new tires soon. But other than that I'd drive it across the country tomorrow even with the miles on it. I'm expecting at least 300,000 and probably closer to 400,000 miles out of it before it needs any major work.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought a new 2017 Limited double cab 4x2. Towing capacity is 6800 pounds. I have a smallish camper I will be pulling it with. This is my first Tacoma, so cannot speak to the differences first hand. Seems to have plenty of power to me, and decent gas mileage....which is why I skipped over the Tundra. I can say I am a bit of a skeptic on the internal canister for an oil filter. Will be doing my first oil change here soon. I cannot fault the truck on anything just yet.

Not sure about the previous generations, but the 3.5 has a timing chain also. That was a selling point for me.

Last edited by Mink; 09/16/17.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're at low elevations the engine isn't that bad. With that said, mine came a quart low on transmission fluid, they've already had two TSB transmission updates to try and get it to shift properly, and it still sucks. Can't decide what gear it wants to be in, if there's any headwind it downshifts to 5th or even 4th (up high at elevation) and just stays there. Going up hills it thinks it has more power than it does and tries to go into 4th only to realize it can't do it, shifts down to 3rd, says I got this, goes back to 4th, can't do it, 3rd too easy, 4th... repeat repeat repeat. The TSB updates have helped that, but is still there. Even though it has more peak HP than before, it has less usable power. It makes 278 at 6000rpms (redline), but who really drives at redline? Makes its peak torque higher than before too. So if you want to drive it like a sports car and rev the hell out of it, it has good power. But it is a truck, I like to drive my trucks lower in RPMs, and down low it doesn't make [bleep] for power.

You can read a lot on TacomaWorld, but a better indicator is to go to the 4Runner forum (there's a link from TW) and see just how many people have ditched their 2016 and 2017 Tacomas already.

Supposedly the 3.5 is good, IF, you want to spend $800 for the tune that is talked about on TW. It improves HP, TQ, and the shifting issues the stock powertrain has. If you do buy one, have the dealership to a manual check of the transmission fluid, not with the Techstream, and make sure it has the most up to date TSB for the transmission. Supposedly there's another one coming, but that's been said by Toyota for months.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mink
Just bought a new 2017 Limited double cab 4x2. Towing capacity is 6800 pounds. I have a smallish camper I will be pulling it with. This is my first Tacoma, so cannot speak to the differences first hand. Seems to have plenty of power to me, and decent gas mileage....which is why I skipped over the Tundra. I can say I am a bit of a skeptic on the internal canister for an oil filter. Will be doing my first oil change here soon. I cannot fault the truck on anything just yet.

Not sure about the previous generations, but the 3.5 has a timing chain also. That was a selling point for me.

The 4.0 had a timing chain as well, Toyota has pretty much done away with timing belts.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a 2006 rode like a brick, wife didn't like it, so I got rid of it. Tried another in 2013-hated it. Got rid of it in 9 months. Now own a 2016 Chevy Colorado. I have 39,000 trouble free miles on it and love it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do they cost? With the price of the compacts, I don't know at anyone would pick one over a full sized truck anymore. Cheapest 4x4 on the lot these days is a 3/4 ton work truck. The compacts and 1/2 tons cost more. I suppose if it is a true off road machine, but a jeep is probably even better in that role. I think they look neat, but they don't make a lot of sense to me at today's prices.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's not always about price. Sometimes, you have limited garage space. Sometimes, it's about physical limitations. I got rid of a F2013 Ford F 250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke, with 18,000 miles. Knees got bad (need replaced), and I couldn't climb into it anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are tall.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Edmunds.com is doing a long term test on a '16 Tacoma with the 3.5. One of the editors did a write up on the engine here.

They're still putting miles on the truck but overall they don't seem to be highly impressed by the truck, especially after it puked shocks on a run in Death Valley.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by valad
For those who have the newer Tacoma with 3.5L engines how does it compare with the 4.0L engines?
I was at a Toyota dealership to meet my wife as she had a nail in her sidewall. I took a look at the 2017 Tacomas and knew they had the 3.5L engines and I always wonder what folks think of this motor? Supposedly gets slightly better MPG. And then my daughter just told me today she wants a truck! lol.
I have the 2006 Tacoma SR5 and while it is good and I like the non payment now, I bought it used. It does need some things fixed...shocks/springs are going bad and they had a recall on the spring but I got this truck past the recall.
So what's the consensus of the 3.5L for those who have one, drove one or had a pard that has one?

I was excited about the new models and was planning to find a Double Cab 4x4 with the 6spd manual, but I'm holding off on letting go of my 2011 4.0L model. Lots of folks on the forums are complaining about lack of torque and shifting issues with the automatics, and the manual models suffer from a very aggressive nanny-function computer issue regarding throttle response. It seems that the drive by wire throttle will only let you feed in so much additional throttle per second, in order to save fuel in daily driving. So even if you stomp it, you cannot get 100% throttle like you would with a cable, it takes too much time for the computer to feed in the increasing throttle. This does not combine well with a smaller displacement engine that depends on revs. It sounds like the tuners will figure this all out, but I don't like the idea of needing a tune on a new truck to make it perform the way it should from the factory. And I am still not a fan of the auto in my 4.0L model. It shifts like a lazy drunk. Great truck otherwise. After 5 Tacomas and 4Runners, my favorites are still the manual transmission models. If I had to buy another today, it would probably be a 4.0L with a manual 6spd, otherwise I'd be looking at a different manufacturer.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I loved my '97 Tacoma, it was small, quick, nimble, tough, plenty of power even with the small 4 banger, reliable and cheap, cheap, cheap to operate. I typically put 35,000 miles per year on a truck, so operating costs and depreciation matter.

My 2009 Tacoma is a dog. It's too big, too slow, too clumsy, and behind the retarded 4 speed auto the 4 banger has half the power it needs. It's a gear hunting POS. It feels like driving a '70s era land-yacht. Bleh.

It's still reliable but fuel economy is way lower. Other operating costs and depreciation are still cheap, cheap, but it's a drag to drive. Sounds like the new models are more of the same. Bleh.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500
What do they cost? With the price of the compacts, I don't know at anyone would pick one over a full sized truck anymore. Cheapest 4x4 on the lot these days is a 3/4 ton work truck. The compacts and 1/2 tons cost more. I suppose if it is a true off road machine, but a jeep is probably even better in that role. I think they look neat, but they don't make a lot of sense to me at today's prices.

Because the Tacoma will give you 275,000 miles vs the full sized that generally wont at the same price point.

And around here - a 4 door Taco with the usual bells and options is still bit cheaper than a full sized, comparably equipped truck.

Silverado Z71 4 door will run 39k before TTL. (a 3/4 ton work truck, gas, 4wd is 41k)
Tacoma 4 door SR5 is 34k

Wanna bet which one will cost more over the life of the truck in maintenance?

Me

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by carlm
I had a 2006 rode like a brick, wife didn't like it, so I got rid of it. Tried another in 2013-hated it. Got rid of it in 9 months. Now own a 2016 Chevy Colorado. I have 39,000 trouble free miles on it and love it.

Well to be fair, the tacos are off road capable vehicles, the Colorado is a minivans with a bed..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WRO

Well to be fair, the tacos are off road capable vehicles, the Colorado is a minivans with a bed..

Pretty spot on and one will get 1/2 the wear of a Tacoma.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I wanted an off road vehicle, I'd get a real one (had an '09)- a Jeep Rubicon. For the 3% of the time the vehicle will be used off road, not worth the shortcomings the other 97% of the time. Since I haven't put in a dime into my Colorado yet, other than oil changes and tire rotation, I don't see the Taco lasting twice as long, not that it matters. A mini van with a truck bed suits this old man just fine. I'm not concerned with trying to milk 300k out of some old turd. I have owned 30. brand new cars so far, and can get another whenever I want.

Last edited by carlm; 09/20/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not that it matters.

It doesn't?

I could go to the dealer tomorrow and write a check for 10 new trucks if I wanted to.

I don't want to.

I have way, WAY, better things to spend my money on than a truck, let alone one that drops like a rock in value as it falls apart as soon as the warranty is done.

My current Tacoma has 175,000 miles on it, no repairs, one set of brake pads. Don't expect any repairs this side of 250. You'll have bought three more new trucks by then.

It matters. It matters a LOT.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do taco threads always turn into a d*** measuring contest?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I buy three more new trucks, it will be because I wanted to, not because I needed to. Never takes long for the Taco fanboys to rear their ugly heads. The only good thing about a Taco is they hold their value well due to the undeserved hype. They have to justify getting boned in the butt on those POS's. Google is your friend fool. Check out the smog pump noise, the six hour noise, terrible leg room, the non-locking tailgate fix using a hose clamp, the poorly designed bed rails that cause it to leak like a sieve when you install a cap, a child like navigation system, and the ridiculous price for what you get. It is LONG overdue for a re-design. Tacos are like Remington rifles, the old ones were good (mid to late 1980's) and they've been living on a myth since.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most of these Taco posts are about the OLD ones, not the new Gen 3 with the POS 3.5 engine and [bleep] up transmission.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,914 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.