Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by keith
My two 54 sporters went down the road quick, 541's smoked them...freebore on the 54's is long to say the least. We shot ground squirrels with these rifles, N. Ca.

Freebore?
Every factory 22LR m54 Annie I have ever seen has a match chamber.
The Rems don't.
Try another imaginary excuse.

Last edited by jk16; 09/17/17.
GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for all the great discussion fellas. Just to update, neither rifle was in very good condition and showed signs of neglect. I was not as impressed as much with the feel of the Remington as I thought I'd be from reading about them. This particular example had rough looking crown, almost seemed as if it was pitting. I lost track of the final price for this gun but it was over $500 the last I saw it.

The Anschutz (1983 date code) was very impressive in feel, however I could not get over the condition. Rust showing in multiple places bore and chamber so filthy made it very difficult to guess condition. This gun sold for $850.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Too bad people neglect their firearms so often. Yes, I know they're just "tools" to many, but they're still an investment that should be cared for. FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
The 541s models do have a match chamber but I would not bet a 541s would "smoke" a 54 sporter.... not on a regular basis anyway.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am a slow learner. I have owned three Anschutz 54 Sporters. Two shot really well, the other not so much with the ammo tried. I sold all three for the same reason. That **** rollover comb is not walk about hunting friendly to me, and the Americanized stock had not been introduced.

A few years ago, I bought a Remington 511 (detachable magazine repeater) in a pawn shop for $40 in really nice condition. It is the same gun as the 541-S with a working man stock and a bit longer barrel. It shoots as good as the best of the 54 Sporters that I owned and way cheaper. I don't think this is unusual. An old beater 510 single shot that I inherited shoots just as well. A Junior Target 5??that I bought in the early 60s won a lot of local matches against Ballards, Stevens, and Winchesters. I would go with the Remington and spend the rest on ammo.

Good luck,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jt402
I am a slow learner. I have owned three Anschutz 54 Sporters. Two shot really well, the other not so much with the ammo tried. I sold all three for the same reason. That **** rollover comb is not walk about hunting friendly to me, and the Americanized stock had not been introduced.

A few years ago, I bought a Remington 511 (detachable magazine repeater) in a pawn shop for $40 in really nice condition. It is the same gun as the 541-S with a working man stock and a bit longer barrel. It shoots as good as the best of the 54 Sporters that I owned and way cheaper. I don't think this is unusual. An old beater 510 single shot that I inherited shoots just as well. A Junior Target 5??that I bought in the early 60s won a lot of local matches against Ballards, Stevens, and Winchesters. I would go with the Remington and spend the rest on ammo.

Good luck,

Jack

The Rem 511 is an older design than the m541 rifles...not the same gun

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I owned a number of 510 - 511's - 521's while they are decent field guns but they will not even come close to a 54 Anschutz sporter or a 541s in terms of accuracy, if they would you would see them being used in sporter match's and I never have seen one at a match. The triggers are non adjustable unless you work on them and even then they are to heavy for serious target shooting

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't fully wrung out my 541S yet, but it is holding it's own against almost all my target rimfires except maybe my 40X and 52C and is giving them a run for their money. From what I've read, the 541S has a "semi-match" chamber (whatever that means) and a hand lapped barrel. So, even if the outside is a little rough, that an be fixed as long as the chamber and bore are in good condition. I've seen several that the outside showed signs of hunting wear, but the internals were pristine and still shot like a target rifle. Like most accurate rimfires, they are ammo specific. Once you find what they like, they are your best friend.

Looking now for a 541T to go with the 541S because they handle and shoot so well. May have to take a chance on a Rem 504 also if I can find a decent one for a reasonable price...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My mistake. Old memory. There are some engineering changes within the very similar receiver. Owned an early 541-S that had a rosewood, not plastic, for end tip. It shot with the Anschutz 54S, but so does my 511, with the ammo that I used. Different ammo for different .22s often pays dividends, but what I was using was plenty good enough for hunting and plinking. I have not played the informal match game in over forty years. Pass the crow on the 510/511/521 being basically the same gun. I hold with the old gun's accuracy.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I handled a cherry 541-s today. Not a mark on it that I can recall. Lady behind the counter said she would take $1000 for it and I damn near did it but the Anschutz mannlicher she also had came home instead

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pulled some of the above mentioned rifles out and shot them for a comparison. Range was a lazered 25 yards, ammunition for all was SK standard. All was loaded single and first shot was cold bore. Shot off of front and rear bags, nothing fancy. I put the pics of rifles and corresponding groups in the photo gallery. I cannot figure out how to transfer to the post.

CK
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.