-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have a C Sharps 1875 that I have been very happy with for several years.....but. Recently this rifle has developed a problem and needs gunsmithing. Contacted C Sharps and as much as I like the rifle I have not been overly impressed with their "friendliness." I know its not a requirement to be friendly, and they haven't been actually rude or anything, but does make me a bit hesitant to send rifle back to them for work.
My question is has anyone here sent a gun back to them for repair? Was work done well? Timely? Cost? any input, or experience you would like to share much appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One could always head across the way to the Shiloh folks. They likely know their way around a C too.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I sent them a rifle for warranty work, they sent it back, it still had the same problem and didn't reimburse me for the postage to send it to them like they said they would.
I would suggest contacting Sulphur Gulch gunsmithing in Parker Co, and discuss the repairs with Eron.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just toured the C Sharps factory. They used to have 3 FT gunsmiths working their but they've cut back to one.
The day I toured, the Gunsmith that does repair work wasn't there but the gentleman (a machinist that works there) said nothing but great things in the area of vast knowledge of their fellow gunsmith.

Their backlog was pretty long, I want to say 3 months...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
What seems to be the problem that needs work?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
interesting, email I got from them just said send it in they would fix it in 2 weeks send it back.....no talk at all about payment or shipping costs.
Hammer will not hold at full cock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sound like either the sear is broken, or if you have the set trigger the set screw might need to be backed out.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No set screw, yes I'm assuming its the sear. But not knowing exactly the problem or the repair I'm concerned with getting into a situation where I'm spending way too much money having someone build a new one from scratch.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Sounds like you should send it in. Just don't get your hopes up on the two weeks. I have two 1875's.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yeah, never took the 2 week thing seriously, and honestly don't care as long as its fixed correctly and for a reasonable cost. What calibers are your 1875's? Mines a 32-40 and a little sweetheart.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
No set screw, yes I'm assuming its the sear. But not knowing exactly the problem or the repair I'm concerned with getting into a situation where I'm spending way too much money having someone build a new one from scratch.

No need for a gunsmith to build one from scratch. Simply call them and get the part.

A trip to Big Timber, with a stay at the Grand Hotel is not a bad thing to do, to get the rifle up there, then let them ship it back.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
not a bad idea at all, been through there many times but never made the time to stop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be such a thing as you could call Pat, tell him what the problem is, and make an appointment to run the rifle up there, do the repair and bring it home the next day..

www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey

No need for a gunsmith to build one from scratch. Simply call them and get the part.

A trip to Big Timber, with a stay at the Grand Hotel is not a bad thing to do, to get the rifle up there, then let them ship it back.

Don,
You left out the part about loitering in "The Fort" while waiting for them to work on his rifle. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My Long Range Hunting rifle came second hand. The fit and finish is very good. Fancy wood is less so than Shiloh. I wouldn't trade away the Badger barrel. The French Gray is not to my taste. The previous owner pulled out the stops having this rifle built. Some smaller parts and apertures for standard tang sight came with good workmanship and no real problems. I'd buy another without second thought. On the down side the rifle has a 34 inch barrel in 45-110. Don't think I'd do this. Few options on secondhand rifle. On the down side the rifle had the standard tang sight. This sight is not the Soule style. The sight iwon't do. Overall, as really nice rifle.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Pull off the lock plate and check it out. It could be something as simple as the spring being broke.
I had this happen to me at the Quigley.

Last edited by Kurt71; 01/27/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the same thing happen on my rifle. Pulled the lock. Sear was dragging on the wood behind it and the trigger set spring had come loose after about 10 years of shooting and the bridle was loose.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.