Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No one, and I mean no one, can over engineer something like a kraut.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And that was invented by a German.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Hessian draft dodgers", and you can be a member of the 'Sons of the American Revolution".

Retired cat herder.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I believe The term Hessian became rather generic during the revolution refering to any German soldier, as there were a 1/2 dozen more German Principalities who supplied troops to George III. And there were I believe even three distinctly different Hessian principalities too! Complicated!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Blondes with big boobs sounds interesting

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Today about half the names of residents living there are German names. Not surprised if that included Armstrong's mother. The new immigrants, who were mostly farmers, immediately sought to become as American as possible and within two generations had stopped speaking German at all, unlike today's Mexicans.

two things going on here, captain.

lots of germans kept their language, customs and communities going for years and generations. WWI and WWII made that a lot less popular.

Mexicans drop their language pretty fast also, but we keep getting new ones. the ones you are seeing are new ones. anyone born in mexico still speaks it. in arizona, 2-3 generations pretty well wipes it out.

teevee and the innanet.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm got a Hessian defector as well on my dad's side that always interested me. Seems like he massively over compensated to show how American he was after the revolution as all of his kids were named after founding fathers. Funny about the Germans inventing everything. my grandmother was a german from the hill country, when ever she would praise us for some accomplishment as kids it was never because we were smart, worked hard, etc., it was always "because we're German".

True about the german's keeping their language/customs, grandma was 4th generation american but german was her first language (and nothings scarier to a little kid who doesn't speak much of the language than to be scolded in German-just sounds meaner) and the copy of her birth certificate that I have is in German, my mother's generation was the first in our family that didn't speak german as a first language.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One of the reasons German hung on so long in some areas of Texas (especially hill country) was isolation.

Founder

WS

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now there's another "fact" that would make my Dad proud. Somewhere way back, I read that Texas BBQ as we know it was invented by Germans. Supposedly a butcher shop in New Braunfels started slow-cooking meat over mesquite and came up with what Central Texas calls BBQ. They even invented serving it on brown butcher paper.

I've made a pilgrimage to Coopers in Llano to eat under W's picture. KYHillChick has family down there that sends it to us as a Christmas Present.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
. . . and I love going to a Mexican restaurant in Cincinnati and hearing polka music. It's the only places in town you can hear it. The Krautheads are too embarassed to own up to it, but the Mexicans eat it up. Germans taught the Mexicans to play it!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by shaman
Now there's another "fact" that would make my Dad proud. Somewhere way back, I read that Texas BBQ as we know it was invented by Germans. Supposedly a butcher shop in New Braunfels started slow-cooking meat over mesquite and came up with what Central Texas calls BBQ. They even invented serving it on brown butcher paper.

I've made a pilgrimage to Coopers in Llano to eat under W's picture. KYHillChick has down there that sends it to us as a Christmas Present.

Whoever it was who invented it Im thankful. My adopted grand dad's cousins over in Lockhart had good BBQ back in the day. They were all Kreuz's!

Prolly wasn't mesquite they were slow cooking with. But that's ok.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/20/17.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Today about half the names of residents living there are German names. Not surprised if that included Armstrong's mother. The new immigrants, who were mostly farmers, immediately sought to become as American as possible and within two generations had stopped speaking German at all, unlike today's Mexicans.

two things going on here, captain.

lots of germans kept their language, customs and communities going for years and generations. WWI and WWII made that a lot less popular.

Mexicans drop their language pretty fast also, but we keep getting new ones. the ones you are seeing are new ones. anyone born in mexico still speaks it. in arizona, 2-3 generations pretty well wipes it out.

teevee and the innanet.

Sycamore

Thats funny as hell, and while true for some hardly true for all. More to it than speaking English......

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Wife comes from German families that had emigrated to Russia in the 1700's before coming to the US in the 1800's. No real reason given for the emigration, except that the Russian Tsars were recruiting Germans to move there by promising them land/etc., plus freedom from ever being conscripted. Germans kept their language, traditions, etc. - but when Russia started getting nasty in the 1800's a lot of those Russian Germans took off for the states. Many of those who stayed in Russia were purged by Lenin during WW2.

Never hear much about Germany in the 1700's, but must not have been a good place to live.

Hutterite?

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Wife comes from German families that had emigrated to Russia in the 1700's before coming to the US in the 1800's. No real reason given for the emigration, except that the Russian Tsars were recruiting Germans to move there by promising them land/etc., plus freedom from ever being conscripted. Germans kept their language, traditions, etc. - but when Russia started getting nasty in the 1800's a lot of those Russian Germans took off for the states. Many of those who stayed in Russia were purged by Lenin during WW2.

Never hear much about Germany in the 1700's, but must not have been a good place to live.

Hutterite?

Not any that I know of. Vast majority I'm familiar with are mostly plain jane Lutherans. grin

We looked back through a genealogy site at her family's ancestors in Russia.. and talk about a hard freaking life. I think we were looking at something like a minimum of 50% child deaths in the first couple of years. Trust me, to leave your family and friends behind and move up to the Sandhills of Nebraska with hardly any money, tools, maybe one mule, and try to eke out a crop? And then consider that a better life? Russia had to be a nightmare.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As a world we owe a lot to the Germans. A huge lot.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Hutterite?

Not any that I know of. Vast majority I'm familiar with are mostly plain jane Lutherans. grin

We looked back through a genealogy site at her family's ancestors in Russia.. and talk about a hard freaking life. I think we were looking at something like a minimum of 50% child deaths in the first couple of years. Trust me, to leave your family and friends behind and move up to the Sandhills of Nebraska with hardly any money, tools, maybe one mule, and try to eke out a crop? And then consider that a better life? Russia had to be a nightmare.

That's interesting. I knew the Mennonites (which split into various Mennonite denominations and Hutterite variations) had done the move to Russia to escape military service, then when the Russians reneged they went to Canada, who then reneged and a bunch of the Mennonites went to Mexico. I didn't know the Lutherans had too. Cool info, would've been a very tough life in Russia!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I always figured Neil was American.

P

My uncle was Neil Stiegelmeier from South Dakota. He wasn't exactly Irish.
shocked

wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 73 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.