Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Simply back this.

The threat of Constitutionally enforced term limits and balanced budget will terrify every RINO and Democrat in Congress. He should come out publicly to back this.

Every time a Convention has ever come close to happening, Congress has backed down and passed reforms. They are terrified of Amendments that don't come from the Senate.

http://www.latimes.com/sns-bc-us--constitutional-convention-20170915-story.html
Republican lawmakers from 19 states completed a plan Friday that provides an outline on how to run a constitutional convention that would propose a federal balanced budget amendment.

The four-day planning session at the Arizona state Capitol involved 71 delegates adopting rules, procedures and other technical details of how such a convention would be run. No Democrats attended.

Attendees called the end product a historic effort that sets the stage for a convention of states to propose changes to the Constitution. They call Washington dysfunctional and a convention the only way to force the federal government to address the nation's $20 trillion deficit.

Utah state Sen. Ken Ivory said the nation has deep structural issues, and the only way to fix them is to use the Constitution's own power to push changes through amendments proposed by states at a convention.

"We have a system in disrepair that operates to produce trillion-dollar deficits, to produce mountains of regulations and federal criminalization," Ivory said. "And until we restore that balance and that division in power, we're going to continue to see results that a system in disrepair produces."

A convention is a longshot. One has never successfully been used to propose an amendment, and all 27 amendments that have been adopted were proposed by Congress. But a balanced budget amendment is a core goal of conservative Republicans that have gained growing control of state Legislatures in recent years.

The goal of backers is to eliminate the federal deficit and drive down the national debt. The current federal budget includes spending of about $4 trillion and has a shortfall of nearly $700 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Arizona state Sen. Don Shooter said the deficit can't be eliminated overnight with the adoption of a balanced budget mandate.

"You do it in increments, the same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time," he said.

A convention that successfully proposes a Constitutional amendment has always been seen as a longshot. To call one, 32 state Legislatures would have to petition Congress. If an amendment is proposed, it would need ratification by 38 states.

Shooter and others gathered in Phoenix said they believe the time is right.

"Washington is dysfunctional. Is it going to stop itself?" he said. "This is an intervention."

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Only 7 more states are needed to invoke one (according to this article).

This is a good read for those who think such a Convention will rewrite the entire Constitution. It won't. It'll just propose Amendments like the Senate can, the Amendments still need to be ratified by the states.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...birth-new-nation-planners-say/664206001/
According to the national Balanced Budget Amendment Task Force coordinating the effort, 27 states have approved qualifying resolutions. They hope the final seven, plus a few extra, could do so over the next year.

Among the resolutions passed this week is one asking Congress to call an Article V convention that convenes no later than 180 days after the 34th state passes is resolution.

Once an Article V convention is called and an amendment is developed, three-fourths of state legislatures or three-fourths of state conventions would have to ratify it for it to become part of the Constitution.

If seven states don't pass resolutions within the next year, the states agreed to hold another planning convention before the end of 2018 to assess their progress.

The states targeted are Idaho, Kentucky, South Carolina, Minnesota, Virginia, Wisconsin and Montana, several of which sent delegates to participate in the planning convention.

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/19/17.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's easy to see some good coming out of it. it's gaining ground. the risk, if there is one, is that it'll turn into a full-blown constitutional convention. we could wind up with Constitution v2.0. not likely. but we've come a long ways in the last 240 plus years. there's been adaptations made to the constitution, and arguably the SCOTUS in their wisdom or lack of, has gotten us through some rough spots for better or worse.

but, if nothing ventured, then nothing gained.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
States that have passed a resolution calling for a Convention. Red states have already passed a resolution, the 9 blue states are the ones targeted, 7 of those would need to pass a resolution before one is convened.

[Linked Image]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gus
it's easy to see some good coming out of it. it's gaining ground. the risk, if there is one, is that it'll turn into a full-blown constitutional convention. we could wind up with Constitution v2.0.

A majority of states at the Convention would have to approve of a new Constitution, and then 3/4ths of states would have to ratify it.

COULD NEVER HAPPEN. Never.

Look at those red states. Looks like the electoral map for Trump, doesn't it? What kind of amendments would they propose and would get 26 states to approve? Not anything liberal, the liberals don't control 26 states.

And it's controlled by state legislatures, not federal. Ultimate way to drain the swamp..

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, just as a guess, however good or bad, if i was spending money on the next 7 to approve, i'd go with SC, Va, Ky, mt, id, Wi, and a wild card? would you agree?

for a wild card candidate i'd probably close my eyes and bet on Maine.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd probably say ME is more likely than VA.

Let's face it, VA has been swampified.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Virginia isn't gone, but getting damn close. Our state legislatures are still R controlled.
Term limits are the ONLY way to drain the swamp IMO, but I fear even that may evolve into a mere changing of the bathwater equivalent.

FJB & FJT
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Virginia isn't gone, but getting damn close. Our state legislatures are still R controlled.
Term limits are the ONLY way to drain the swamp IMO, but I fear even that may evolve into a mere changing of the bathwater equivalent.

But your governor is McAuliffe, and I can't see the state legislature overriding his veto. Not a local tho, so tell me if I'm wrong.

There's hope for your state if the swamp gets drained. It definitely filled up under Obama.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Virginia's proximity to the 'swamp' is our biggest problem, as so many federal employees or servers of the federal gov't have migrated over into NOtVA with most apparently being democrats. Add the breedeers in the Hampton Roads area and the shear numbers cannot be overcome by the rest of the state.
McSCUMlif only has four months left in office and the governors race is currently a dead heat between a carpetbagger R and a VA born and raised D.
The tide may turn.....

FJB & FJT
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Could almost care less about the red herring, swamp drainage issue.

What I want is one more Trump SCOTUS placement and then, busting up the 9th Circuit Court, creating another Circuit Court and appointing all 12 justices in it. After that, Donald can go on vacation until his next re-election.

McConnell and Ryan might ought to worry about their own re-elections from their respective constituants.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
SCOTUS picks are awesome and badly needed, but only good for 25 years at most.

Constitutional amendments to balance the budget and term limits might last hundreds of years. And I can dream of a slightly changed 2nd Amendment to remove the argument that it applies to militia only. Maybe: A well regulated Militia comprised of citizens being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of all citizens to keep and bear Arms equal to that of the military shall not be infringed.

Both needed, though, you are right in that.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
the republicans need to have s stronger hold on each other, they are also still playing politics with their goals and no one play games better than the Dems.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
McConnell and Ryan might ought to worry about their own re-elections from their respective constituants.

Here's the narrative for their re-election. "If you primary me out, look at all of the influence WI/KY will lose, nobody can bring home the pork like me."

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You DO NOT want another Consititutional Convention, at least not in these times.

Do you really want all the BLM and LGBTQ and ANTIFA delegates demanding their issues? Don't think for a moment the Bernie and Hillary crowd won't be pushing an Equal Rights Amendment and 100 other Leftist causes in direct opposition to our current Constitution. No! No! Don't go there.

The problem with term limits. If you get an election like the one in 2008 when there is a momentus shift in power, the numbers could have given Obama a Supermajority that would have rubber stamped EVERYTHING the Left wanted and effectively locked the Right out of power for 2-3 generations. Look what the 1932 election did for Dems and there were no term limits. No, I'm not for it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hatari
You DO NOT want another Consititutional Convention, at least not in these times.

Do you really want all the BLM and LGBTQ and ANTIFA delegates demanding their issues? Don't think for a moment the Bernie and Hillary crowd won't be pushing an Equal Rights Amendment and 100 other Leftist causes in direct opposition to our current Constitution. No! No! Don't go there.

The problem with term limits. If you get an election like the one in 2008 when there is a momentus shift in power, the numbers could have given Obama a Supermajority that would have rubber stamped EVERYTHING the Left wanted and effectively locked the Right out of power for 2-3 generations. Look what the 1932 election did for Dems and there were no term limits. No, I'm not for it.

Listen to this man! DO NOT OPEN UP THE CONSTITUTION TO CHANGE. PERIOD.

It is mighty fine just like it is.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Do you really think a balanced budget is law is a good idea? The way things are? Taxes would skyrocket because they would NOT remove any programs.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
you DO NOT want another Consititutional Convention, at least not in these times.

Do really want all the BLM and LGBTQ and ANTIFA delegates demanding their issues? Don't think for a moment the Nernie and Hillary crowd won't be pushing an Equal Rights Amendment and 100 other Leftist causes in direct opposition to our current Constitution. No! No! Don't go there.

Name the 26 states that will follow along on those in order for it to be approved by the Convention. If they don't get 26 votes in the Convention, then it doesn't become even a proposed Amendment.

Right now there are 29 state legislatures fully controlled by Republicans.
There are 11 state legislatures fully controlled by Democrats.
There are 10 state legislatures which are split.

So for your worry about having liberal ideas even proposed as an Amendment, the Democrats would have to have every Democrat state vote for an amendment, every split state vote for an Amendment, plus 5 Republican states vote for it.

Republicans have enough votes to kick out any proposed Amendment they like. They'll need 8 of the 10 split states to ratify it before it becomes effective - but we need no Democrat help. The Democrats can't even conceive of passing an Amendment without 16 Republican states needing to ratify it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Calhoun
you DO NOT want another Consititutional Convention, at least not in these times.

Do really want all the BLM and LGBTQ and ANTIFA delegates demanding their issues? Don't think for a moment the Nernie and Hillary crowd won't be pushing an Equal Rights Amendment and 100 other Leftist causes in direct opposition to our current Constitution. No! No! Don't go there.

Name the 26 states that will follow along on those in order for it to be approved by the Convention. If they don't get 26 votes in the Convention, then it doesn't become even a proposed Amendment.

Right now there are 29 state legislatures fully controlled by Republicans.
There are 11 state legislatures fully controlled by Democrats.
There are 10 state legislatures which are split.

So for your worry about having liberal ideas even proposed as an Amendment, the Democrats would have to have every Democrat state vote for an amendment, every split state vote for an Amendment, plus 5 Republican states vote for it.

Republicans have enough votes to kick out any proposed Amendment they like. They'll need 8 of the 10 split states to ratify it before it becomes effective - but we need no Democrat help. The Democrats can't even conceive of passing an Amendment without 16 Republican states needing to ratify it.

Calhoun, you may have missed the part about the schitt storm protests, social unrest, etc? Ole Soros, Schumer and the far left gang (throw in Bernie, too) will see this as his last chance to bang some one world gov't dreams in and I have seen the republicans fold their tents and haul ass too many times, my friend.

In only two words to a constitutional convention - fugg no.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Calhoun, you may have missed the part about the schitt storm protests, social unrest, etc? Ole Soros, Schumer and the far left gang (throw in Bernie, too) will see this as his last chance to bang some one world gov't dreams in and I have seen the republicans fold their tents and haul ass too many times, my friend.

In only two words to a constitutional convention - fugg no.

You're talking federal republicans...

If you think Soros can undermine 16 Republican controlled state legislatures as well as buy 10 split states,.. you don't have enough tinfoil on.

In your view, we need to change things by not changing anything... that's working out well, ain't it?

It's a free country though, believe what you like. There's enough of the rest of us who want to try to make things better rather than just hope the feds will clean themselves up.

PS: When the number of states calling for a convention gets to 32 or 33, the federal politicians will change direction to keep that from happening so fast it will make your head spin. So it never needs to happen - just the threat of it. This happened in the 80's, which I'm sure you aren't aware of.

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/19/17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.