Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Bought a rifle recently that was a real surprise to me in many ways with some lessons learned and relearned. The biggest surprise was that I bought a nice wood and blued rifle, which just does not happen anymore.

Have a young nephew, now 12 and growing fast, that has been using a R700 in 243. He asked if he could move up to something bigger, even though his 243 with Barnes TTSX has never let him down. My wife is my long time hunting partner, and while she has only one rifle, it is very nice, but heavy. Thought it would be nice for her to have something nice, but light, to use.

By happenstance, I saw this 80's vintage R700 in 308 built by Sterling Davenport including a nice Zeiss scope and thought it would be a nice gift for both of them to go hunting with me. The seller had it listed for a crazy number, but had a note that said make an offer. Well, I thought what the heck, don't be afraid to make a fair offer. I offered what I thought it should be worth, which was substantially less than the asking price. We chatted back and forth a bit, and worked out an agreed price. Skipping some difficulties in the dialogue of the rifle not exactly matching the listing, notably having a factory R700 barrel which had been turned down and set back rather than a custom barrel as advertised being a big issue, I decided to give it go and see how it shot anyway.

Took it to the range and it sprayed bullets all over the place. Tried four different loads. Never had any 308 do this poorly, much less one actually built by a gunsmith. 308's usually are about the easiest of all rifles to make run well. Here was an example at 100 yards. This was after a good cleaning and checking for the correct torque on every screw.

[Linked Image]

Ok, looks like the gun is sick, not sure what is going on. Now thinking to myself - "Wood sucks. Remington sucks. Wood + Remington with a duplex reticle on it, just to remind how much they really suck too, is the trifecta of failure. Boy did I make a mistake. Now I remember why I quit using wood and blue rifles."

Table the project until I have some time. The seller agrees to pay for a new barrel since it was a factory Rem barrel rather than a custom aftermarket as advertised. So, I am about to pack it up and send it off to a smith to rebarrel, but think, wait a minute. That Zeiss scope that came on it is nice and bright, but maybe the scope is sick and not the rifle?

Pull off the Zeiss that came on it, find a pic rail and a NF 2.5-10x42 and mount them up at the range this afternoon and give it a test drive. Three shots to zero, and here are the next three shots at 100 yards. Wow, I love this rifle! It instantly ties for one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

So, just a reminder to myself, take a new (or new to me) rifle through one variable at a time, and have some patience. Use a known reliable scope to start off if possible, and definitely so if the rifle is not meeting expectations. Also, this reminds me of why I think Nightforce scopes are worth the price. This particular scope has a lot of rounds on it on some heavy recoiling rifles, but it runs like the day it was new. The Zeiss in comparison probably has not had even 100 rounds under it from looking at the minimal wear on the feed ramp. Reminder to self yet again, durability and reliabilty of function always are the most important factors for a scope.

Here is a nice photo at the end of the range trip. Built by Sterling Davenport in the 80's. Note the replaced bolt handle, which is welded or brazed on, which is a nice touch. Hard to get a good photo of the stock, which is what he is known for.

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Looks like beautiful work there! Congrats on your thorough detective work and solving the issue!!! Your solution didn't surprise me. I've had a lot of issue with Zeiss scopes in the past. Binoculars though, have been great performers.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much do you mean when you say the barrel was set back? A fraction of a turn to shorten headspace? Several turns to completely clean out the chamber?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been having the same trouble with a new Ruger American 30-06. I realized after a couple of trips to the range that the scope is new to me and not tested. I've put another scope on it for the next range trip to see if that helps.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The same thing happened to me today with a brand new rifle. The scope is junk, and I just switched it out for a new one. I have sold several rifles thinking they were dogs and the problem turned out to be the scope. Good for you for doing your due diligence.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, me too, traded off a minty 257 roberts cause it quit shooting good. Turned out it was the POS scope that it was using. Im so bias against optics anymore, Im suprised all my rifle dont wear quality irons.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman
How much do you mean when you say the barrel was set back? A fraction of a turn to shorten headspace? Several turns to completely clean out the chamber?

No way to measure accurately.

Thanks guys.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by mathman

No way to measure accurately.

Thanks guys.

With groupls like that, what difference does it make? Assuming headspace is correct.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I've had scopes go bad, that's the first thing I do, is change scopes.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I've had scopes go bad, that's the first thing I do, is change scopes.

Bad scope should have clicked in my mind on the first outing, but I have not had any scope issues since 2005 when I started using Nightforce scopes. So it just was not on my mind. This experience reinforces Nightforce as my go to choice.

las,

concur. Whatever Mr. Davenport did, he obviously understood how to make this rifle shoot well. This one is a keeper.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.