Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What additional work would be required other than rebarreling to convert a 70classic 338wm to 300hh?

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 300H&H is a wonderful cartridge and "feeds like it has eyes" because it has generous taper, sleek shoulders, and is long... the 338 is much fatter at the shoulder, and more abrupt.

Going the other way would likely involve taking some meat off the feed rails... sadly, that meat is not there to help the 300H&H feed.

You can test the feeding easily enough before rebarreling. The cartridges will not fit the chamber, but they will (or not) feed from the magazine well enough to know whether it will go or not. I suspect cartridges will be too eager to jump...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Going the other way would likely involve taking some meat off the feed rails... sadly, that meat is not there to help the 300H&H feed.
Nope - NO need to touch the rails - at all.

You can test the feeding easily enough before rebarreling. The cartridges will not fit the chamber, but they will (or not) feed from the magazine well enough to know whether it will go or not. ...
A 3.6" round will not fit inside a 3.4" magazine to test feeding...

Just need a new magazine, new follower, new (or modified) ejector and bolt stop. Usually (the key word) it'll eject OK. On occasion the ejection port will be needed to be opened a tad to alleviate that issue.. But that's it..

I've done a few over the years.. Only issue for gunsmiths is the fact that a .300HH reamer just LOVES to begin to chatter... A genuine pita.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Nope - NO need to touch the rails - at all.

You can test the feeding easily enough before rebarreling. The cartridges will not fit the chamber, but they will (or not) feed from the magazine well enough to know whether it will go or not. ...
A 3.6" round will not fit inside a 3.4" magazine to test feeding...

Just need a new magazine, new follower, new (or modified) ejector and bolt stop. Usually (the key word) it'll eject OK. On occasion the ejection port will be needed to be opened a tad to alleviate that issue.. But that's it..

I've done a few over the years.. Only issue for gunsmiths is the fact that a .300HH reamer just LOVES to begin to chatter... A genuine pita.. smile

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding. Forgot about magazine length...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were me doing this conversion, I would go with the 300 Weatherby. Roughly same amount of work and parts needed, but you would actually gain some horsepower over going with the H&H. I love the H&H round, but it gains little over the 30-06 in usable ballistics and requires the work above, plus possibly the opening of the ejection port to function properly. In order to gain any real power in the same platform, go with the 300 Weatherby or the 300 H&H AI and you'll have a better return on your investment- ballistics wise...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a single shot Mauser action that might be done up with this cartridge.

Bolt face has been opened up already so if all goes right just needs a barrel.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
What additional work would be required other than rebarreling to convert a 70classic 338wm to 300hh?

A 30-338 or a 308 Norma Mag wouldn't require any changes other than a barrel.

Same performance as the H&H and way cooler with those exotic sounding names...:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.