Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by SuperCub
What does a BC offer that a newer cross-hatched tupperware does not?

Less plastic, more rigidity.

That's just it. I've not found that to be true at all. The BCs that I've had are just as flexy as the newer Remington stocks.

OK, to be fair in this conversation, I have a total bias against any plastic stock no matter what brand or vintage based on my experience with some of the older ones offered. I've not bought a new 700 in years so don't have experience with the new plastics. The few B&Cs I've used have served me well enough including TI take-offs and Medalist, but I certainly would look elsewhere for a LW stock.

A new McMillan is about $1K here in Canada so have been open to other alternatives for upgrades away from plastic.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

That's just it. I've not found that to be true at all. The BCs that I've had are just as flexy as the newer Remington stocks.

OK, to be fair in this conversation, I have a total bias against any plastic stock no matter what brand or vintage based on my experience with some of the older ones offered. I've not bought a new 700 in years so don't have experience with the new plastics. The few B&Cs I've used have served me well enough including TI take-offs and Medalist, but I certainly would look elsewhere for a LW stock.

A new McMillan is about $1K here in Canada so have been open to other alternatives for upgrades away from plastic.

You should look at buying your McM stocks from a dealer in Maine and importing them yourself.

At the current 82% exchange rate, a typical $600USD McM stock should only cost you $732CND, unless there is some very large import fee or tax imposed by Canada.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Spend your money on ammo. The stock that is on your rifle will do just fine. The Grayboe is still a tupperware stock, just with a higher price tag. The Medalist is a slightly better stock. But not significantly better than factory. The non Medalist B&C stocks without the metal insert are a HUGE step down compared to factory.

I have several rifles in McMillan stocks. But I don't spend $500-$600 on a stock hoping it will make my rifle shoot better. The rifle has to prove it is a keeper before it gets a better stock. I've NEVER noted a bit better accuracy after upgrading to a McMillan or any other aftermarket stock. If someones gun shoots better afterward it is only because the new stock is properly bedded and the factory stock was not, and that COULD have been corrected. The most accurate rifles I've ever shot were all in factory tupperware stocks.

I purchased my aftermarket stocks mostly because the Edge stocks are 1/2 to 1 full pound lighter than factory or most other aftermarket stocks. I like the way they look and feel. Telling my wife it would make the gun more accurate was a good way to get her to justify the money spent though.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Save for the good stock. You won't be happy with anything less.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You should look at buying your McM stocks from a dealer in Maine and importing them yourself.

At the current 82% exchange rate, a typical $600USD McM stock should only cost you $732CND, unless there is some very large import fee or tax imposed by Canada.

I have a post box in Maine. Only one hr from the line. That does give me options but a lot of US businesses will not ship to another address that is not on the VISA. I do end up getting things to work though one way or another.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You need a prepaid CC with a shipping/billing address at this place:

www.shiptohoulton.com

Their ad says that they accept Canadian $$ at par with U.S. $$

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
You need a prepaid CC with a shipping/billing address at this place:

www.shiptohoulton.com

Their ad says that they accept Canadian $$ at par with U.S. $$

Thats a good idea about the CC. There are mail and freight brokers in Calais. Many from my parts use them incl myself.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Notice the OP logs on, asks a question, and never checks back...

FNG

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have 7 of the B&C Alaska Ti stocks all bedded and free floated. All are under 30 ounces and all have worked great. Great value for the price if you ask me. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by Armednfree; 09/19/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

V
Vizsla2 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Thanks for all of the collective feedback.
Rick, I actually need a SA, not long, but thank you!
There's some pros for Boyd's, but I'd rather go composite.

I know B&C are proven, but I've read lower quality (as of lately), bulky grip... Grayboe is a bit heavy, but seems like decent quality.... HS was one I didn't initially consider, but costs a bit more.... Then there's McMillan. Several pros/cons across the board, but $$ will get me the best option that I wont regret.

I guess I'll keep saving. Buy once, cry once.

Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch the sale list at Mcmillan and watch Ebay. Scored amazing deals for McMillans on both sites.

https://mcmillanusa.com/product/6443-game-scout-remington-700-short-action/

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've plenty of McMillan, B&C, and HS stocks with a few others thrown in. While no McM, the B&C are good stocks and much better than factory plastic IMO. I actually like my B&C stocks over my HS stocks as they feel the same, yet the B&C are lighter. Have you thought about the B&C AK Ti stock? It's a reasonably light stock and plenty rigid to get the job done. I think I have about 5-6 Ti stocks and never had a problem with them. They are lighter than a std fill McM as well(though not in the same league).

Too bad the old Bansner's are not still available. Those were some nice stocks if you didn't mind a little prep work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone bedded an aluminum chasis in a plastic stock? I have re-inforced the barrel channel and the wrist with arrows, broken fishing rods and aluminum tubing with some success but the action area is still flexing. Also with an aluminum bedding block will "Swiss Cheesing" it take off any significant amount of weight?

I like the HS precision stock that Jim Tertin designed for the Mt. Eagle rifles. A little trimmer than their more target like stocks. The B&C would be a step up from factory but not a huge one. I would fill the factory stock with foam and possibly do the graphite rod stiffeners if it was a known accuracy issue. I would shoot it for a season or two while saving for a truly better stock and scouring the used adds and McMillion sales.
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I've plenty of McMillan, B&C, and HS stocks with a few others thrown in. While no McM, the B&C are good stocks and much better than factory plastic IMO. I actually like my B&C stocks over my HS stocks as they feel the same, yet the B&C are lighter. Have you thought about the B&C AK Ti stock? It's a reasonably light stock and plenty rigid to get the job done. I think I have about 5-6 Ti stocks and never had a problem with them. They are lighter than a std fill McM as well(though not in the same league).

Too bad the old Bansner's are not still available. Those were some nice stocks if you didn't mind a little prep work.

Yes I wish I had bought all the lefties they had when they were on close out. They have a good weight to stiffness balance that you will have to pay a lot more to get now.
The MPI graphite re-inforced stocks are good but unless you get it straight out of the mold and do it yourself they get pricey. Brown Precision same thing if they are still available.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
Spend your money on ammo. The stock that is on your rifle will do just fine. The Grayboe is still a tupperware stock, just with a higher price tag. The Medalist is a slightly better stock. But not significantly better than factory. The non Medalist B&C stocks without the metal insert are a HUGE step down compared to factory.

I have several rifles in McMillan stocks. But I don't spend $500-$600 on a stock hoping it will make my rifle shoot better. The rifle has to prove it is a keeper before it gets a better stock. I've NEVER noted a bit better accuracy after upgrading to a McMillan or any other aftermarket stock. If someones gun shoots better afterward it is only because the new stock is properly bedded and the factory stock was not, and that COULD have been corrected. The most accurate rifles I've ever shot were all in factory tupperware stocks.

I purchased my aftermarket stocks mostly because the Edge stocks are 1/2 to 1 full pound lighter than factory or most other aftermarket stocks. I like the way they look and feel. Telling my wife it would make the gun more accurate was a good way to get her to justify the money spent though.

Excellent post. A lot of truth in it... I'm also in full agreement with DakotaDeer as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe MM's are overpriced. Talk to Rick re: the Grayboe and have it properly bedded and you will be a happy camper.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.