Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Son has started hunter's safety course. I am attending with him.

Some of the stuff covered is cringeworthy.

Anyone else been through one of these lately?

Last edited by Tarkio; 09/19/17.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
S

Some of the stuff covered is cringeworthy.

?

I was an instructor many years ago but havent been to one lately. What specifically is cringeworthy?

[Linked Image]
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
They are telling these kids that every time they meet someone in the field that is not a hunter, the have to face the person, open their chamber, clear the chamber (if there's anything in there), make safe and do all this so the person they've met can see and "FEELS" safe. This is geared towards their field course this Saturday at this time but they've mentioned you need to do it in the field also.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took my 10 year old grandson to the the class back in August and he got 100% on the 50 question quiz. The main instructor was ex military and I found a few incorrect statements but overall the class would good. The two secondary instructors were really good.

Last edited by tpcollins; 09/19/17.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This is why a lot of the old time instructors gave it up. Kids are taught to pass the test not what they need to be safe. Many of the new instructors lack basic firearms knowledge. I had a newby who was doing firearms orientation hand me a remington 1100 and say you do this one I don't know anything about semi's. Lot of emphasis on having a nice day afield even if you don't take any game. Now that is fine I always enjoyed all my time outdoors but too many days like that will soon see the prospective hunter staying home playing video games.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I took a Hunters' Safety Course a while ago with my son. The information was accurate, useful, detailed, and presented in a highly professional manner. The instructors didn't say anything stupid, so I didn't have to de-program him afterwards.

I run into non-hunters in the woods pretty often. Most of them have no idea that hunting season is open and are just out for a hike, so you have a unique chance to show them that not all hunters are knuckle-dragging idiots. People who don't understand guns are usually terrified when they meet someone who's armed in the woods. The problem with facing one of them and clearing your chamber is that they don't understand what you're doing. Manipulating a firearm in any way (or even touching a weapon at sling arms) scares the piss out of them. They think you're getting ready to shoot them. You'll never make them feel truly safe, but you can avoid making things worse by smiling and speaking to them in a normal tone of voice. Sling your weapon or leave it at sling arms if it's already there. Answer their questions, ask which way they're headed and tell them that you plan to go somewhere else. Then tell them to have a nice day, alter your hunt to steer clear of them, and move off in that direction.

Where I live, a lot of folks in the woods are cooking meth, guarding dope-growing operations, stripping stolen vehicles, or taking part in other low-life chores. There is no way I would ever clear a weapon in the woods in front of a stranger.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 09/19/17.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe this is coming from the admins. I explained to my son why this is a piss poor idea. While we were talking, he mentioned the one instructor that kept getting his finger on the trigger guard and trigger. I then had to explain the definition of a Fudd. Not in a derogatory manner. Just because you are a hunter, that doesn't mean you are necessarily a gun guy.

That brings up another SMH moment. One older guy that does a nice job was checking himself up every time he accidentally said gun or weapon. That's verboten.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been probably 8 years since my youngest went through it. A couple of cringeworthy comments, but overall very good.

Definitely didn't cover anything like unloading the gun when meeting non-hunters. Now, clearing the chamber isn't so bad - but I agree it's going to make non-gun people more anxious than feeling safer. I personally might feel safer if a 14 year old new hunter (or 50 year old idiot) isn't handling a hot firearm while I'm talking with them, but as long as they have proper handling skills I'm not worrying.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep. My son's last year. One of the instructors told them when deciding which direction is a safe place to point the barrel, was the direction that would cause the least amount of physical and property damage. crazy

Camp is where you make it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I have been an instructor for over 30 years and I have seen and heard a lot during that time. Last week I helped at the local wildlife officer's class and the region supervisor was there. I thought he was just doing an observation, but at the start of the class he introduced me and gave me an engraved Smith & Wesson knife to commemorate my 30 years as a volunteer instructor. Tonight I start my annual class.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have been teaching HS for over a decade and our team has put over 2K kids through the course...with live fire. Not one of those kids has ever been taught to make clear for anyone afield except when approached by a Conservation Officer and only at his discretion. There are times when it needs to be done; crossing a creek or fence, getting up or down from a tree stand, and at the end of the hunt before you case your gun, but certainly not for a "meet and greet". Just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What state is that? Pretty sure that is not part of the official state course.

I have taught HS in CA, VA and NC for 20 years. Every state is different and uses different books. Unfortunately too many instructors add their own twists to things.

The other thing is states are trying to "make it easier" to get students thru it. When I went thru, it was 14 hours with some range firing. Now we are down to 6.5 hours and no gun handling as their just is not time. Plus NC has three companies that they allow to "teach" the course online and then come to a 2 hour Internet field day which consists of going of types of firearms in a basic level and then the test.

Some states like VA have advance training 2-4 (over a 2 day period) times a year for its instructors where they can learn about archery, trapping, tree stands or muzzleloaders etc if they are unfamiliar.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Charlie, that is the way it is taught in Tennessee. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times and constantly keep monitoring which direction is safe. The OP's statement sounds like the instructor who doesn't want to offend anyone, but the people who would be offended are already offended. I remember about 15 years ago TWRA wanted instructors to stop saying kill and say harvest instead to avoid hurting feelings. I just shook my head at the effort to be PC.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have hunted for over fifty years and never had any problems with firearms safety. Just the same, last year I took the hunter safety course along with my grandson. It was fun. Generally they taught the regulations that apply in Colorado. Although they didn't call them the three primary rules of firearms safety like an RSO would, they still taught them. I didn't hear/see anything that I thought was unreasonable or overly PC.

KC

Last edited by KC; 09/19/17.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's not Colorado yet.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Finished up the classroom portion. Now he just has the field portion tomorrow left.

He is pretty stoked to have this done and start getting ready to get out there hunting.

Last edited by Tarkio; 09/22/17.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good job, Matthew. Hope he has fun!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks IB.

It's been alright. Despite some misgivings, the guys and gals that donate their time to run these programs are great people and deserve respect.

It will be fun tomorrow watching him navigate the small obstacles they set up for the hunters. As soon as the field course is over, then we bust butt to his football game at 10 AM.

He is already making plans for us to get out there and chase some deer and elk. Looking forward to that for sure.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Memories waiting to be made!
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A lot of that type of stuff you're experiencing is the result of the instructors saying something off script and not reversing themselves.

It's annoying but better they do than myself.

There is a lot of leniency on that stuff in MT. Some instructors make it one day. Others a two day. I believe ours was two weeks here. Every night from 5p-9p or some schit. I told the boy if he wants to hunt he'll sit through it himself because there was no fugking way I was going to.

He did fine.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.