Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You should just wrap your kids in bubble wrap, you freaking idiots...

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2017/bcr-2017-220967.abstract
Significant Nerf gun ocular injuries are not reported in the literature, as far as we know. This case series serves to raise awareness of the seriousness of Nerf gun ocular injuries. It encourages further exploration of reasons for such injuries, as well as a review of protective measures against ocular trauma.

This is the kind of stuff we survived as kids..
[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think of the stuff I did as a kid and I'm damn lucky to have both eyes, arms and feet. Between unsafe and insane fireworks, lawn darts and shooting arrows straight up it's a damn wonder we made it to adulthood. I bet my reflexes are better than a skinny jeans wearing millennial. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah yes.. arrows shot straight up. Did that. Battles with bottle rockets and roman candles, did that. Seeing how close you could stick a knife in the ground by your buddy's foot... Okay, that one was just plain stupid.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yeah, sometimes I wonder how we made it to our teenage years. Then the teenage years....that's something altogether different. My bull riding career ended before I was a teen....I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE!

I only ended up in the hospital twice, nothing to serious either. Don't know how it wasn't many more times then that. Guess being lucky really is better then being good.

Nerf guns....

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Shooting arrow straight up in the air,done that, have the scars to prove it. Played "war" with BB guns,done that, still have both eyes working fine <whew> Playing "mummy peg" with knife and fingers, <sighs> yes have scars to prove that too. Jumped off house roofs to play "Stunt Man" survived with just a sprained ankles, no broken bones. < another whew>
Now as an adult I realize the fun I had as a child experimenting with life. As a Farther of 4 boys, I now sit back and cringe over the things they are doing. Riding skateboards down a 1/4 mile hill road. Jumping off bridges 15 ft over water. I just hope they survive with minimum injuries. We do not have video games in our house, and limited TV watching. Life is a one time deal, make the most fun you can cause there is no "do overs" in life.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between motorcycles, tree houses, rafts, swimming two miles across the lake, wind surfing in 70 mph winds...... not a chance I am still alive.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and shooting arrows straight up

When I acquired my first bow, a note on the box said something to the tune of "one can not shoot arrows straight up." In my mind, that sounded like a challenge and I instantly took it on. As the arrow disappeared from sight, I immediately questioned the wisdom of that action. I froze in place and the arrow landed 20 or 30 yds to one side never to be repeated.

As to the root question, experience is by far the best teacher. A description of an electric fence jolt simply does not cut it. One must have the experience.

We lived, because we did not push things to that fatal edge. When the results hurt, we recognized that expanding the limits would only hurt more. So far though, I'd do it all over again.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/19/17.

1Minute
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Tansun
Shooting arrow straight up in the air,done that, have the scars to prove it. Played "war" with BB guns,done that, still have both eyes working fine <whew> Playing "mummy peg" with knife and fingers, <sighs> yes have scars to prove that too. Jumped off house roofs to play "Stunt Man" survived with just a sprained ankles, no broken bones. < another whew>
Now as an adult I realize the fun I had as a child experimenting with life. As a Farther of 4 boys, I now sit back and cringe over the things they are doing. Riding skateboards down a 1/4 mile hill road. Jumping off bridges 15 ft over water. I just hope they survive with minimum injuries. We do not have video games in our house, and limited TV watching. Life is a one time deal, make the most fun you can cause there is no "do overs" in life.

Boys are great aren't they.

I looked out the window a few weeks ago and watched my son riding his four wheeler pulling his friend down the road on a skateboard about 30 mph. My wife says are you gonna say something to them. I said yes. I opened the front door, yell to them to replace the wheel bearing grease in the skateboard wheels with a thicker grade if they're gonna go those speeds and closed the door....my wife looked at me like I had a hole in my head and was speechless. I don't know why. You can really burn little wheel bearing up quick with high speeds thin grease.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Ah yes.. arrows shot straight up. Did that. Battles with bottle rockets and roman candles, did that. Seeing how close you could stick a knife in the ground by your buddy's foot... Okay, that one was just plain stupid.

Yep. I still have the scar on my foot where my brother's arrow pinned me to the ground 50 years ago.

Kelly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the favorite pastimes of my neighborhood yutes was having rock fights at a nearby construction site. It was all good until somebody got beaned in the head and started crying.

We switched to dirt clods but that still ended up with someone crying.

Everyone that got beaned didn't wanna play that game anymore.

Oh well. Live and learn.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We called them dirt bomb fights and they'll split your younger brothers head open but apparently anything will split a younger brothers head, younger brothers have soft heads. Also everything you throw, on purpose and by accident, is attracted to the head of your younger brother. Bottle rockets, dirt bombs, rocks and spark plugs all are supernaturally attracted to younger brothers heads. 😁

BB gun wars were awesome and the water tower at the end of our private road was the perfect location for a snipers nest...5 pump max.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the above and more but I am still here.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
it was all fun and games until i switched out a snowball with a rock. johnny screamed and screamed and i laughed and laughed. good times, good times...

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by T LEE
All of the above and more but I am still here.

Exactamundo! Hardly any home made pyrotechnics were mentioned...... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS

Yep. I still have the scar on my foot where my brother's arrow pinned me to the ground 50 years ago.

LOL!

Kelly
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i was pretty good at playing this game with a knife, but did get myself a few times.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did the arrow in the air deal. It landed on the hood of my Dads 73 Malibu. He never could figure out how that dent got there..... Had a BB bounce off of a nail head one day and came back and stuck right in the corner of my eye by my nose that was a close one.
Homemade darts with sewing needle and yarn for fletchings shot through the body of a bic pin. I was getting pretty good with it until my sister wanted to try. She sucked the dart down her throat. Luckily she coughed it back up with little injury that was the end of that experiment.

Jumping bicycles over anything we could find no helmets or pads if you crashed you walked it off and tried again.

The best sledding hill we had ended at a 10 foot drop off into the creek. We would fly down on the sleds and jump off before we got to the creek and then dig the sleds out of the bushes. One day I got tangled up in the sled and couldnt get off in time. Luckily there was a tree across the creek and I somehow managed to slide out onto the tree about 6 feet had a hell of a time getting back to land.

Had several firecrackers blow up in my hand until I figured out that wasnt a good idea. Managed to set my buddies leg on fire with a roman candle we were having a firework war and he had a bunch of bottle rockets stuffed in his knee high socks. I managed to set them on fire with a roman candle ball. I kinda wished we would of had a cam corder for that one.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You should just wrap your kids in bubble wrap, you freaking idiots...

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2017/bcr-2017-220967.abstract
Significant Nerf gun ocular injuries are not reported in the literature, as far as we know. This case series serves to raise awareness of the seriousness of Nerf gun ocular injuries. It encourages further exploration of reasons for such injuries, as well as a review of protective measures against ocular trauma.

This is the kind of stuff we survived as kids..
[Linked Image]

I took one of those to the shoulder about age 9.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We used to hold onto firecrackers and see who could do it without flinching...those things hurt and probably account for the Reynauds in my hands as much as minor frostbite does.

I stuck an arrow into the aluminum siding of our new home. When dad got home I promptly reported my misdeed to him, he told me to bring my arrows to him and he broke everyone of them over his knee. His message was received loud and clear and I was much more careful in the future, grandpa bought me a dozen arrows before I got off the bus the next afternoon. Thank god grandma and grandpa lived next door because I always had a faithful friend in my grandpa. The good old days....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.