Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There was a story going around my family. Dad told me when I was young that when I heard about "Hessians" in the American Revolution, I should remember that one of our family had been forcibly conscripted from around Marburg, Germany and sent to the Colonies to fight with the British. He did not have much information beyond that, except the ancestor had defected and stayed to fight for the Continentals and had gotten land in the NW territory. There is a branch of the family living up by Toledo that I've never met, and he figured that was them. Our branch stayed home. I guess that makes my branch a bunch of Hessian draft dodgers, but what the hey!

Now you have to remember that from early on in the war, Ben Franklin was telling Congress to do everything they could to encourage Hessians to defect. There were about 200,000 of us in the Colonies at that time, and we were a prosperous bunch. Ben eventually drafted a handbill, translated into German that offered 50 acres, a cow, 2 pigs and farm implements to any Heinie that would come over the lines. A lot of them did. Of the 17,000 that went about a third took a powder.

All these years, I've been wondering what was up with that story. We're all big strapping German plow jockeys. We'd have made a good Grenadier or a Jager. There's even a story about one of us German mercs at Beemis Heights getting pissed off at our CO, a certain Lieutenant Colonel Heinrich Christoph Breymann. You may want to look him up. There are two Germans who turned the whole Second Battle of Saratoga. One is Breymann. He got a little panicky at the wrong time and decided to urge on his grenadiers by beating them with the flat of his saber about the head. The other is the nameless sargent who supposedly ran his bayonet through Breymann's chest and told his men, "Genug ist genug!" and walked off the field just as Benedict Arnold was charging their redoubt. The redoubt fell, the British right collapsed. Saratoga was lost, and about this time, the French decided this whole American Revolution thing might be worth putting some skin into the game. I've got a 25 year old son that makes me look tiny. He can't stand anyone touching his head. I think its genetic. Yes, you can thank a German for winning the American Revolution for you.

So here it is 2017. A long time has elapsed between 1777 and now. The trail is pretty cold and I figured the 8th Air Force had done its job of wiping out the archives of the Hessian regiments, along with most of my family's baptismal records for the past 500 years. However, I was wrong. Yes, the records exist.

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~amrevhessians/a/amhessians2.htm

It will take years of digging, but from that website I can deduce that we're in the book. Someone with my last name served in a Hessian Grenadier regiment and he stayed behind in America.

Bonus Fact: See Dad always used to mess with me the way his father had messed with him. No matter what subject came up in school Dad would say "A German invented that!" According to Dad, a German discovered America. Germans invented the light bulb, the airplane, and the automobile. He learned all this from his father who grew up in Germany. Come to find out, there are plausible arguments for all of them. I'm not saying I agree, but I've just given you a fact that a German or two turned the battle of Saratoga and in doing so swung things in favor of the Americans. If you're a German schoolkid in late 19th century Marburg, I'm you got your share of this stuff dished out with just enough fact in it.

So here's a fact bonus fact: The first man on the moon was a German. That's right. Neil Armstrong's mother was named Viola Louise Engel and she was from a German family from up around Wapokeneta, Ohio where the Continental Congress was handing out free land to the kraut defectors after the Revolution. I don't know if Neil's family defected like mine, but there you have it: A German was first to walk on the moon. I knew Neil Armstrong a little. We used to say hello each other at U.C. I never knew he was a krauthead. Dad would be proud.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always figured Neil was American.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wife comes from German families that had emigrated to Russia in the 1700's before coming to the US in the 1800's. No real reason given for the emigration, except that the Russian Tsars were recruiting Germans to move there by promising them land/etc., plus freedom from ever being conscripted. Germans kept their language, traditions, etc. - but when Russia started getting nasty in the 1800's a lot of those Russian Germans took off for the states. Many of those who stayed in Russia were purged by Lenin during WW2.

Never hear much about Germany in the 1700's, but must not have been a good place to live.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From what I gather, you're right. Up until the 1770's, German states had kept serfdom, so you really had to be somebody to own land. There were also a lot of wars going on. America, from early on, drew the attention of Germans.

I read a book from the 1840's that was written to entice folks to move to the Ohio River country-- talk about the land of Milk and Honey.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My wifes Hessian ancestor is listed as "Hessians remaining in America" Pg. 60 Daniel Hillgenburg. Captured at Trenton. He was from Roenfurth, Hesse. I would like to see his proof of turning as we know he was given land in West Virginia. The family homestead is still there. In fact they get so many Hillenburgs visiting they have the place fenced and gated asking people to stay away. The name was Americanized at some point and became Hillenburg. Daniels descendants split into two tribes basically, some going to Indiana and some to Missouri. Cool stuff.

Last edited by smarquez; 09/19/17.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As of the last census, Germans were still the #1 ethnic group in the US which goes a long way in explaining this country's success...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forty years ago I got the top score on a history test, and was my High School's representative at a Daughters of the American Revolution banquet. One of the nice old ladies asked me if I had any ancestors who fought in the Revolution. I answered "Only Hessians."

But most of my family came over in the 1870's from Alsace to keep their sons from being conscripted by the Kaiser. Damn Prussians.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hessian Mercenary Humor:

Otto: Heinie! Wo warst du? Der Sargent dachte, du wüstest.
Heinie: Ich war in einem Keller stecken, Otto. Es fiel auf mich während der Sperrfeuer. Ich brauchte drei Tage, um mir die Trümmer zu holen und zu klettern.
Otto: Aber du bist seit sieben Tagen weg.
Heinie: Ja, nachdem ich rauskam, fand ich dieses schöne kleine Mädchen. Wir haben vier Tage lang gefickt.
Otto: Hat sie einen guten Kopf gegeben?
Heinie: Nein. In der Tat hat sie ihren Kopf vermisst.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
had a dear friend that taught communications at a state agriculture college. her story was that her ancestors were recruited (as jews?) from jewmany to come to the ukraine and grow wheat for the Czar. they did, and loved it. a bit later, in fast forward, the czar was deposed. they gathered their stuff and migrated through france by train to america. in new york city, they procured train tickets to the pacific northwest (washington state) where they bought up wheat farm land and established a new life.

one of the daughters, my friend, attended Berkeley back in the late 60's. and then got half-right in carbondale illinois ag. school before moving south towards the Truth.

now, retirees in the mtns of western north carolina, i guess you could call her a survivor.

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
You're not correct about the area around Wapakoneta being handed out to German or any other veterans after the Revolution. For many decades that area was the property of the Shawnee nation, which had split during the War of 1812. The Wapakoneta area was given in gratitude to the faction that supported the Americans. In 1830 the government got Duquochet, the French interpreter for the Shawnee, drunk and got the Indians to put their "X" on a document relinquishing their lands. Then most of Auglaize County was sold, sight unseen, to Germans and Swiss who later moved there, not war veterans.

Today about half the names of residents living there are German names. Not surprised if that included Armstrong's mother. The new immigrants, who were mostly farmers, immediately sought to become as American as possible and within two generations had stopped speaking German at all, unlike today's Mexicans.

After the moon landing, Armstrong became a recluse. He had a friend in Wapakoneta. When he visited, the friend would keep the garage door open and close it immediately after Neal drove in. "Wapak" kept inviting him back to town on the anniversary of the moon landing but he never even answered their invitations.

The two biggest heroes of that area, in my opinion, were Catecehassa (Black Hoof) and Bob Stultz. Black Hoof was principal chief of the Shawnee Nation and made the peace with the whites after fighting them in battles going back to the French and Indian War. He was 105 when he died.

Bob Stultz flew P47s out of East Anglia for the 56th Fighter Group. "Cave Tonitrum"--beware the Thunderbolt. On August 17, 1943, a very dark day, when 60 B17 crews died horrible deaths over Europe, Stultz saved two of them, killing two Bf110s. But he forgot to "check 6" until, too late, he saw the FW109. He managed to parachute. A Belgian woman from the town of Tongeren, named Mme. Lys de Lyon, found the body. There was blood on the parachute. Some say that Germans machine gunned him as he hung in the shrouds but I doubt this. Hid victor, you see, was Hauptmann Johannes Naumann, who had 35 kills. In 2000 a very old man, a former B17 pilot from America, visited Tongeren. Someone pressed an old gold watch into his hand.

The watch had belonged to an American Air Hero!

I was named in honor of Bob Stultz. I do not forget that. Maybe that's why I have no truck with Jane Fonda or the NFL bums who disrespect our country.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Interesting thread.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You're so right, wabigoon. Being an amateur history buff, this kind of stuff fascinates me. Thanks, shaman, for kicking this off.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
germans are uber. food, beer, engineering, big titted blondes, all uber. deutschland uber alles.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Wife comes from German families that had emigrated to Russia in the 1700's before coming to the US in the 1800's. No real reason given for the emigration, except that the Russian Tsars were recruiting Germans to move there by promising them land/etc., plus freedom from ever being conscripted. Germans kept their language, traditions, etc. - but when Russia started getting nasty in the 1800's a lot of those Russian Germans took off for the states. Many of those who stayed in Russia were purged by Lenin during WW2.

Never hear much about Germany in the 1700's, but must not have been a good place to live.

oh i don't know, there is a wedel, deutschland near hamburg, the german of my name. Lots of vons in there, spreading into denmark.
there is a statue in wedel of a 15th century relative holding a sword.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice story....
I have ansesters on both sides who fought in the revolution...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=Calhoun]Wife comes from German families that had emigrated to Russia in the 1700's before coming to the US in the 1800's. No real reason given for the emigration, except that the Russian Tsars were recruiting Germans to move there by promising them land/etc., plus freedom from ever being conscripted. Germans kept their language, traditions, etc. - but when Russia started getting nasty in the 1800's a lot of those Russian Germans took off for the states. Many of those who stayed in Russia were purged by Lenin during

I have a whole lot of German extraction relatives - shirt tail and otherwise - that settled homesteads in NoDak and Saskatchewan by way of Czarist Russia for reasons stated. Family tradition claims the czar reniged on the no draft thing, so they bailed for the Great Plains. I had classmates who spoke German at home and accented English in school. I'm third generation 3/4 German, 1/4 Norwegian myself. I can almost speak English. :)😋

Last edited by las; 09/19/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Shaman
Thank you so much for that web site. I found both my relatives listed. According to family lore my mothers relative was in Frederick the Greats Army when he discovered that he was to be executed for misappropriating a great coat so he beat feet and ended up with the Hessian's in the US. He is supposed to have been with Washington when he crossed the Delaware.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool stories!

My wife's people are "Volga German". The way they tell it they migrated to Russia when Katherine the Great (a German) was Russia's ruler. Left for greener pastures a couple of generations later.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
You're not correct about the area around Wapakoneta being handed out to German or any other veterans after the Revolution.

I stand corrected. I do know the NW territories was where a lot of Revolutionary War vets got land grants, including the Hessian defectors. There are quite a few Revolutionary War vets buried in the cemetaries up there. However, you're right. In the 1780's that was still Indian territory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 70 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,126
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.