Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't really need them right now but it rained all day so I decided to load some 17Rem stuff this afternoon.

Well....I ran my thumb into a table saw a couple months ago and while it's heeled up pretty much I seem to have cut some nerves because the palm (for the lack of a better word) of my thumb is now numb which makes fingering those little 25gr pills extremely difficult.

I swear....it's always something.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Maybe it's a good time to load some .458's?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/18/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Probably but the problem with that is 223 is the biggest cartridge that I reload for.

It's not impossible and I'm sure I'll adapt but having to fumble around with almost every bullet is down right frustrating.

Oh well...at least I still have a thumb.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
i've seen several table saw accidents, and have drawn blood on mine. not seriously, though.

that sucks

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 09/18/17.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use your other hand.

Use some small, long nose pliers.

Bruce

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I don't really need them right now but it rained all day so I decided to load some 17Rem stuff this afternoon.

Well....I ran my thumb into a table saw a couple months ago and while it's heeled up pretty much I seem to have cut some nerves because the palm (for the lack of a better word) of my thumb is now numb which makes fingering those little 25gr pills extremely difficult.

Use the other hand?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^ Damn,

He beat me too it. smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head

Use the other hand?

Easier said than done when you've been doing the same motions for over 40yrs.

Like I said "I'll adapt but it sure slows things down"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Note to self, sell the table saw before I have an accident too.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's funny how we all do things differently. Bullets are on left side of press, cases on the right. Cases are picked up with right hand, bullets with left. By the moment the bullet is placed in the case mouth I'm already working the handle with my right.

Though it would be the other way around if I was left handed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had surgery on my thumb several years ago, and was trying to reload some while I was off from work. I could do okay at it, the exception being placing the primers in the case. Got one of the granddaughters to come and do that for me, and was good to go then.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Go see an orthopedic or plastic surgeon and get the nerve spliced back together. I cut a nerve in my left index finger and it slowly grew back together by itself. When the feeling came back but it was painful for a long time. If I picked up something it felt like someone was squeezing by finger with a pair of pliers, it's slowly gotten less painful.

Last edited by victoro; 09/19/17.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I need to sell mine too. SOB's are dangerous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A dab of case lube on the dead part of your thumb will help grasping the little bastards.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cut my right thumb down to the bone on a piece of sheet metal 30 years and the side of the pad on mine has been numb ever since. It also produces some wicked pain if pressure is applied in the right spot, I guess over the severed nerve.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's funny how we all do things differently. Bullets are on left side of press, cases on the right. Cases are picked up with right hand, bullets with left. By the moment the bullet is placed in the case mouth I'm already working the handle with my right.

Though it would be the other way around if I was left handed.

Yea......the problem with all the "use the other hand" advice is that on every press I've owned the lever is on the right so holding the bullet with the right hand while reaching across to operate the lever is no only not practical, I'm not even sure it can be done.
But then....I can't be sure those offering that wisdom have ever reloaded either.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My thumbs are fine and I still cuss the little 17 bullets while loading.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could always go 20 or 19.....

I've had a couple "wow, that was CLOSE" events with table saws and Skilsaws. Two were TOO close, as in "ping" and a little spritz of mist, I was already reacting to "wrong" -- I have a couple of numb spots that are smooth white scars exactly one blade-width apart.
Gulp.
It takes SO little. Really.

And the most dangerous time is when you've been away from the toys for a while and your "feel" isn't quite there. That's when I really have to concentrate on the danger zone, until the little defensive moves one makes become true second nature again.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get JamesJr's granddaughter to help you. Next problem, please.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.